British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Cricket (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/cricket-827097/)

Hawkmoon77 Jun 16th 2014 9:23 pm

Re: Cricket

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow (Post 11304464)
I should say! I was "watching" it on Cricinfo, and even that was exciting. (The TV package I subscribe to doesn't bring me cricket. Brings me Rugby League games from Australia and England, though, which is nice.)

Ditto :) (I was "working" and unlike Oink, I don't have a private office with a big TV in it.)

I have friends who were sat in the Edrich stand (is there a finer place to watch cricket?). Afternoon report "dribbling to a draw". They were wise enough to stay till the end though and were happier at 6:40pm

Flogger Jun 16th 2014 9:41 pm

I missed the last 5 overs as i had to go to the supermarket to buy a naffing swede as that was the only chance i had to go.

Still, good job Cook made sure we had such a big lead and didn't do anything reckless like putting them in for a little looksee last evening

Oink Jun 16th 2014 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by Flogger (Post 11304498)
I missed the last 5 overs as i had to go to the supermarket to buy a naffing swede as that was the only chance i had to go.

Still, good job Cook made sure we had such a big lead and didn't do anything reckless like putting them in for a little looksee last evening

I had a naffing meeting at 9:30ish, about the 75th over, when they was only five down and it looked like England had shot their load only to come back so see all the drama I missed. :frown:

Looks like the Indians still won't allow full DRS. That should give Nasser something to bang on about for a month. :lol:

Flogger Jun 20th 2014 7:04 pm

Good day for England and nice for Broady to get a hatrick.:thumbup:

Nice little pick me up after the naffing football yesterday:(

Oink Jun 20th 2014 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by Flogger (Post 11309998)
Good day for England and nice for Broady to get a hatrick.:thumbup:

Nice little pick me up after the naffing football yesterday:(

Too right. Broad was rubbish in the first match but its good to see him coming back strong in the end. Him and Plunkett should give the Indians something to worry about.

Flogger Jun 21st 2014 12:51 am

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11310030)
Too right. Broad was rubbish in the first match but its good to see him coming back strong in the end. Him and Plunkett should give the Indians something to worry about.

lets hope. Jimmy, broad, Plunkett, Stoakes. thats a good seam attack. Will need dear old Monty to sort himself out in time for the Indians too

Oink Jun 23rd 2014 2:25 pm

Well this is going nowhere fast. They have to have a good look at Cook's tactics or even his captaincy.

Hawkmoon77 Jun 23rd 2014 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11312693)
Well this is going nowhere fast. They have to have a good look at Cook's tactics or even his captaincy.

Now, now Oink, Cook will complain that something "needs to be done" about your harsh criticism of him like that.:rofl:

I can see Cook resigning soon, problem is after KP-gate ECB have invested a lot in Cook, which to be perfectly frank, he has not justified with either his batting or captaincy. :unsure:

Oink Jun 23rd 2014 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by Hawkmoon77 (Post 11312706)
Now, now Oink, Cook will complain that something "needs to be done" about your harsh criticism of him like that.:rofl:

I can see Cook resigning soon, problem is after KP-gate ECB have invested a lot in Cook, which to be perfectly frank, he has not justified with either his batting or captaincy. :unsure:

Who'd would you make as captain? Anderson? To me he looks very tired.

Wow, what a shocker. :thumbdown:

Hawkmoon77 Jun 23rd 2014 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11312726)

I think Jimmy has a good cricket brain, but agree that he looks spent.
If we were to drop Prior, I'd go for Read or Foster as keeper-captain short term and Root longer term (but being a Tyke, I am biased ;) )

Stokes in for Broad for 1st test vs India, who has had a poor match

So we need our largest chase ever to win or 3 & a bit sessions for a draw....

Oink Jun 23rd 2014 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by Hawkmoon77 (Post 11312744)
I think Jimmy has a good cricket brain, but agree that he looks spent.
If we were to drop Prior, I'd go for Read or Foster as keeper-captain short term and Root longer term (but being a Tyke, I am biased ;) )

Stokes in for Broad for 1st test vs India, who has had a poor match

So we need our largest chase ever to win or 3 & a bit sessions for a draw....

:rofl:

189 all out I reckon.

Hawkmoon77 Jun 23rd 2014 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11312755)
:rofl:

189 all out I reckon.

Optimist! :(

Flogger Jun 23rd 2014 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11312726)

Back to back tests do not help Anderson, cook bowling him in 9,10 over spells not helping either. He should be allowed to put his feet up till the first test against India.

Stoakes has to come back he is fit and probably should of played this match. Jordan i can't work out what his role is in the team. Ali too, looks like an ok bat and not a terrible bowler but front line spinner he aint.

Cook is a useless captain, has been since he took the job. I would love to know if he even gets how bad he is.

Oink Jun 24th 2014 1:03 am

Originally Posted by Flogger (Post 11313135)
Back to back tests do not help Anderson, cook bowling him in 9,10 over spells not helping either. He should be allowed to put his feet up till the first test against India.

Stoakes has to come back he is fit and probably should of played this match. Jordan i can't work out what his role is in the team. Ali too, looks like an ok bat and not a terrible bowler but front line spinner he aint.

Cook is a useless captain, has been since he took the job. I would love to know if he even gets how bad he is.

I couldn't figure out what Jordan was doing in the side either. Two flat pitches didn't need four pace bowlers.

Hawkmoon77 Jun 24th 2014 9:26 pm

Oops. Weren't we supposed to have won that series, in a post Ashes-New-Dawn -For-Eng sort of way ?

Well played Moeen Ali.

Who would we all like to see replace Cook as skipper ?