Coronavirus

Old Mar 21st 2020, 8:05 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

London Drugs CEO is confused about the toilet paper hoarding. He also notes they are seeing a huge increase in credit card use, but unsure if its because people are afraid to touch cash or if people are resorting to credit card because they lack cash.

Old Mar 21st 2020, 12:11 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Regina city council voted to take measures of their own, independent of the rules the Province just declared. These include limiting gatherings to 5 people or less instead of 25, and closure of a variety of retail stores.
https://leaderpost.com/news/local-ne...-e31be37712f7/
Old Mar 21st 2020, 1:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
One problem with modelling is that you need to make assumptions to enable the algorithms to behave as they would in actual practice and additionally you need to tie the model down to measured data.
When I was modelling I was often asked 'what's the answer?'. To which I'd reply 'What answer would you like?'
As there haven't been that many pandemics of this seriousness, any model will be making certain guesses and the Imperial predictions should be viewed through this lens.

We can all comment with hindsight, but the WHO is condemned if it does and condemned if it doesn't, like all organisations charged with making difficult decisions, they get it wrong sometimes.
Yes, this pandemic might have been slowed down, but shit happens, people defy restrictions and you have only to look at images of crowded Florida beaches to understand that. I suspect that it would still have escaped, perhaps more slowly.

The question you could ask is: "If the virus had been contained for a month or two, would our leaders have reacted any differently?" I suspect not.
I appreciate that I am not an expert but it seems to me that, if you wish to prevent anything from spreading, you keep it in one place.

The comments that have been made appear to suggest that stopping people travelling from China would have caused economic issues. That was a bad call and one that I accept is easier with hindsight but is one that, in light of the fatal consequences, should have been made as soon as cases that arose from travel were identified as such.
Old Mar 21st 2020, 4:05 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
The comments that have been made appear to suggest that stopping people travelling from China would have caused economic issues. That was a bad call and one that I accept is easier with hindsight but is one that, in light of the fatal consequences, should have been made as soon as cases that arose from travel were identified as such.
You are of course absolutely correct. If you have an illness and recognise that it will likely become a pandemic then it makes sense to cauterise the infection and restrict contact, travel, etc.
The problem arises after you've made such orders more than once and no pandemic occurs.
One side will congratulate the decision making on having done it's job, whereas the other side will condemn the decision for having caused difficulties for no good reason.
Pressure then arises to defer subsequent decision making longer to ensure the virulancy warrants it and of course this ensures that it'll be too late.
Even China whose actions, following initial failure, have been shown to have been draconian but effective was subject to these same pressures and sought to balance containment and economics. They got it wrong, and we saw country after country getting it wrong as well even though the Chinese experience was there for all to see.

Old Mar 21st 2020, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

55% approval for Trump’s handling of Coronavirus. Bet that doesn’t include the facepalming Dr Fauci.
Old Mar 21st 2020, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Loblaws bumping staff pay by 15% on a temporary basis.
Old Mar 21st 2020, 7:59 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134

Originally Posted by magnumpi
i just cancelled guitar jam night with the band, I must be serious
Magnum you need one of these, i am about to order one as it looks like this virus aint going away any time soon
Old Mar 21st 2020, 8:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
Loblaws bumping staff pay by 15% on a temporary basis.
Save On Foods raised their hourly pay $2/hr.

I have been tempted to apply to grocery stores since they are hiring temporary workers to meet current demand, but my wife is high risk with underlying health issues so I worry if go out everyday in such a high traffic place like a store that I would risk bringing home the virus. I am not even sure I would survive if I got it considering my past history with pneumonia and bronchitis.

BC daily update was earlier today:

74 new cases and 1 death
Total cases now 424 cases in the province.
27 now hospitalized, 12 of the 27 in ICU.
BC doesn't break down cases by city, the only provide breakdown by health regions which include multiple city's in each one, 230 of the cases are in the Vancouver Coastal Health region, 126 in Fraser Health, 37 on Vancouver Island, 27 in Interior Health and four in Northern Health.

I notice that low has been dropped when the health officer talks about risk in the province.

"“I think this tells us, again, that we have risk around the province, and how important it is for us to pay attention to what’s happening in our community and take those [social distancing] measures that we have been talking about all along,” Henry said."

Calling for the closure of all personal service businesses, including massage parlors. salons and tattoo parlors.

I do think the government needs to clarify what essential means, some retailers like a big craft store think they are essential, last I checked crafts are not needed to survive.

Old Mar 21st 2020, 8:27 pm
Account Closed

BC Legislature is meeting on Monday for a one day session, looks like they plan to release their plans going forward and might be providing some additional assistance to those on disability, what that will be is anyone's guess.

"Details on a financial relief package for renters, low-income residents and those on disability will also be announced when the legislature meets for a one-day sitting on Monday."

https://globalnews.ca/news/6712482/c...sing-supports/

At-least the BC government is thinking of these things, because for the poorest and those on provincial disability the federal plan largely left these groups out.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Mar 21st 2020 at 8:31 pm.
Old Mar 21st 2020, 9:14 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cheltonian
Magnum you need one of these, i am about to order one as it looks like this virus aint going away any time soon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC2eu03_oxY

looks good, I still using my looper for now tho
Old Mar 21st 2020, 10:14 pm
Account Closed

Old Mar 22nd 2020, 12:05 am
Account Closed

I wonder safer to go to grocery store and buy things or to just get in a car and drive thru a fast food place.

Trying to limit exposure and limit chances of catching this virus.
Old Mar 22nd 2020, 12:18 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

The food at a drive thru won't be as healthy though
Old Mar 22nd 2020, 1:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute

I have been quite impressed with the situation in and around Halifax. Most people, as far as I have experienced it, are obeying the guidance.

I may have missed the panic buying but I had occasion to hit the local Sobey's today for my weekly shop and found everything I wanted. Also snagged a bottle of Tylenol. Shelves were well stocked and there were some cracking deals in the veg section.

Old Mar 22nd 2020, 1:24 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Oink
The food at a drive thru won't be as healthy though
I can't say I have ever truly eaten healthy, but I hate cooking with a passion so probably explains why...ha ha

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.