Coronavirus

Old Apr 27th 2022, 10:27 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by bats
sigh. i just don;t understand why wering a mask is so difficult. Its not s if youre being asked to wear an underwired bra one size too small.
I heard a feature on the radio this morning in my groggy state and checked it on line. BBC

Shanghai, population 26m, in its 6th week of lockdown. No 'essential' trips out for exercise, groceries, no commercial deliveries of groceries, electric alarms on doors to alert the authorities if people with covid try to leave their apartments.

And "we" object to mask wearing in certain situations.
Old Apr 27th 2022, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I heard a feature on the radio this morning in my groggy state and checked it on line. BBC

Shanghai, population 26m, in its 6th week of lockdown. No 'essential' trips out for exercise, groceries, no commercial deliveries of groceries, electric alarms on doors to alert the authorities if people with covid try to leave their apartments.

And "we" object to mask wearing in certain situations.
Yes I saw that.... wow... that is one crazy country. I love to travel, but that is one place I have no interest in at all.
Old Apr 27th 2022, 10:43 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

Also locks on communal entrance/exit doors, and just recently green steel fences being installed around tower blocks. God help the poor souls living there if there's a fire.
Old Apr 27th 2022, 10:58 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

In the immediate crowd I work with, about 20 people, 3 now have covid. One has no symptoms but the other two are in a grim state, coughing constantly, vomiting during meetings, dead tired. One even announced at a meeting that he was no longer sure if he wanted to live or die.

I'm not keen on getting, or spreading, any of that so I'm carrying on with the mask, like most people around here.
Old May 3rd 2022, 9:22 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Mask wearing would appear to be mostly a thing of the past in the UK now.
Old May 3rd 2022, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Mask wearing would appear to be mostly a thing of the past in the UK now.
Its been that way for some time now, so I hear from my sister and friends over there.
Old May 3rd 2022, 11:40 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
In the immediate crowd I work with, about 20 people, 3 now have covid. One has no symptoms but the other two are in a grim state, coughing constantly, vomiting during meetings, dead tired. One even announced at a meeting that he was no longer sure if he wanted to live or die.

I'm not keen on getting, or spreading, any of that so I'm carrying on with the mask, like most people around here.
My daughter had Covid 5 weeks ago. Same symptoms, she was in bed for a week, despite having 3 Covid shots. She spoke to an ER Covid doc over the phone because she could not keep food or fluids down. He prescribed meds and said if she did not improve in 48 hrs she should be admitted to hospital. Thankfully she responded to the meds. She tested herself multiple times, each time the test was negative. She is ultra cautious about avoiding Covid, but caught it from her 7 yr old daughter.
Old May 3rd 2022, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond repute

93% of deaths from SarsCov have been in people over 65 years of age. People 49 years of age and under are at almost zero risk of dying from Covid. It is a geriactricide, not a Pandemic for all people.
I hope in future, asdifficult as it is, younger people will do everything they can to protect and support elderly people not to contract CovSars disease.
Old May 3rd 2022, 11:55 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
My daughter had Covid 5 weeks ago. Same symptoms, she was in bed for a week, despite having 3 Covid shots. She spoke to an ER Covid doc over the phone because she could not keep food or fluids down. He prescribed meds and said if she did not improve in 48 hrs she should be admitted to hospital. Thankfully she responded to the meds. She tested herself multiple times, each time the test was negative. She is ultra cautious about avoiding Covid, but caught it from her 7 yr old daughter.
Of that 20 people, 8 now have covid and 2 heavy colds which they deny being covid. Meetings now sound like a lung cancer ward. "Let's all go and sit in an office together!" I said cheerfully, as directed by the HR publication "Return to Office Guidelines for Leaders". The idea did not go over well.
Old May 4th 2022, 4:17 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Of that 20 people, 8 now have covid and 2 heavy colds which they deny being covid. Meetings now sound like a lung cancer ward. "Let's all go and sit in an office together!" I said cheerfully, as directed by the HR publication "Return to Office Guidelines for Leaders". The idea did not go over well.
Problem is that in your case sitting at home and working via zoom or whatever is obviously possible. Many many jobs don't have that possibility so its all hands on deck or severe staff shortage of which the latter seems to be the order of the day. We cannot live in a world of "stay at home zoomers" We cannot travel without physical staff seeing us through the airport and on the plane, the plane won't fly without crew. We cannot get our tires fitted via zoom or our haircut or anything else that requires "in person" services. So whilst it is understandable that those who carry out office work can do same from safety of their own home it's not universal and many people have no choice but to actually go into work. One would assume that had you all returned to office then those that are ill would indeed stay at home at least until testing negative.
I'm seeing more and more "hiring" signs locally and i was thinking if anyone wants a career change now is the time to get a new job
Old May 4th 2022, 12:16 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by printer
... We cannot live in a world of "stay at home zoomers" We cannot travel without physical staff seeing us through the airport and on the plane, the plane won't fly without crew. We cannot get our tires fitted via zoom or our haircut or anything else that requires "in person" services...
So accepting those necessities there is all the more reason for measures to reduce transmission generally, in less necessary matters, and thus reduced chances of passed infection in those more necessary situations.
Old May 4th 2022, 12:26 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by printer
We cannot live in a world of "stay at home zoomers"
We can and we have. The question now is "is it better?". Obviously some jobs require a physical presence but tyres and haircuts are not good examples. Tyres don't need changing if you work from home, they'll last until they're out of date. We all cut our own hair when the barbers were closed and can continue doing so. There's no need for anyone to go to a shop now and so no need for anyone to work in one. Hospitals and care homes are the clear examples of enterprises needing on site workers.

When there's an "in office" policy people go to work sick. That'll be even more the case with the post covid return to work as the reason for being in an office is now generally understood to be cosmetic; it's less productive but the boss likes the feeling of having a workforce. If there's no one in the office then embarrassing questions about the need for a shiny new phallic tower will be raised. The Return to Office is at the expense of employee health, that'd be fine if only if were more profitable than leaving everyone at home.

Old May 4th 2022, 1:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

We can and we have. The question now is "is it better?". Obviously some jobs require a physical presence but tyres and haircuts are not good examples. Tyres don't need changing if you work from home, they'll last until they're out of date. We all cut our own hair when the barbers were closed and can continue doing so. There's no need for anyone to go to a shop now and so no need for anyone to work in one. Hospitals and care homes are the clear examples of enterprises needing on site workers.

When there's an "in office" policy people go to work sick. That'll be even more the case with the post covid return to work as the reason for being in an office is now generally understood to be cosmetic; it's less productive but the boss likes the feeling of having a workforce. If there's no one in the office then embarrassing questions about the need for a shiny new phallic tower will be raised. The Return to Office is at the expense of employee health, that'd be fine if only if were more profitable than leaving everyone at home.
What work are the mechanics, hairdressers going to do? What about all those businesses that provided services to office workers (coffee shops, sandwich/lunch providers, cleaners), what will their displaced workers do? I accept that many on here simply wait for Government funds to magically arrive in their bank accounts but huge amounts of displaced workers is not good for Government finances.

Calgary is now pretty much back to normal (seen purely from a walking around experience). For months I appeared to be the only one walking through the +15 but now,, the locals' annoying practice of walking 5 abreast so no one could get past them has returned. Fortunately, there doesn't appear to have been an uptick in the people being admitted to hospital either.
Old May 4th 2022, 3:22 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
What work are the mechanics, hairdressers going to do? What about all those businesses that provided services to office workers (coffee shops, sandwich/lunch providers, cleaners), what will their displaced workers do? I accept that many on here simply wait for Government funds to magically arrive in their bank accounts but huge amounts of displaced workers is not good for Government finances.
Jobs change over time, fewer farriers and chimney sweeps work now than in the past. Home services might boom, food delivery, house cleaning, renovations.
Old May 4th 2022, 3:54 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Jobs change over time, fewer farriers and chimney sweeps work now than in the past. Home services might boom, food delivery, house cleaning, renovations.
This is correct. No need to force 21st century office workers into towers five days a week just to keep the sandwich shops afloat. A permanent hybrid working model is sure to emerge.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.