British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/coronavirus-930602/)

BristolUK Oct 27th 2021 7:25 pm

Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 13066080)
Religious exemption my arse.

I've never heard such a connection before. Are there any tax advantages in such an arse status? :lol:

Tirytory Oct 27th 2021 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 13065797)
BC folks will be eligible for a booster 6 to 8 months after their 2nd dose roughly, and will be contacted when eligible, booster shot at this time will not be mandatory.

For the time being, fully vaccinated will remain 2 doses, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that always being the case if the vaccine protection wanes or another variant shows up that the vaccine doesn't work well against.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8326216/b...-shot-program/

Most vaccines given require boosters. Hep B is a three course, Shingles is a two course, kids vaccines are often more than three.

scrubbedexpat091 Oct 28th 2021 9:11 pm

I get why the government did it, but maybe it wasn't a good idea overall having a sudden 4,000 healthcare workers off the job, I kind of wonder if this will do more harm than good in the long run.

Government announces surgeries and diagnostic testing will have to be postponed as hospitals face shortage of healthcare workers.

Some kidney patients for example in the interior having to go more than 100km for dialysis now, that could be a financial burden for some, others may not have the transportation.

The healthcare workers have until November 15th to get their 1st dose to avoid permanent termination, on Tuesday 1,800 long term care facility workers were terminated as they had a different timeline, so I wonder how many of the 4,000 healthcare workers are diehard's who wont get vaccinated, vs on the fence and now will because of the sudden loss of income and pending termination in 18 days.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...s-put-on-leave

Don't need any surgery or diagnostic testing if you can avoid it.

My wife's endocronologist called yesterday asking if there was any way she could afford going to Seattle and self paying for the MRI he needs because the doctor isn't comfortable with how long it's taking in BC currently.

Some of the people posting about their cancelled surgeries or delays seem sort of urgent, one person saying liver cancer surgery was cancelled yesterday last minute, and now they are hoping for mid November to late November, hopefully they get their surgery before it's too late, I worry that some will die who may have otherwise lived had they been able to get their diagnostic tests and surgeries sooner.

scrubbedexpat091 Oct 31st 2021 7:56 pm

BC residens can now obtain their federal proof of vaccination. Feds will accept the BC provincial one until November 30th. You access the federal one the same way you access/received the provincial one.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8336993/f...b-c-residents/

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 1st 2021 9:49 pm

Whatever you do if your in BC don't get sick, hospitals are not doing well. This is being reported by a local BC political reporter.

B.C. has been required to minimize operating times at various hospitals across the province due to employees not meeting vaccination appointments as well as increased pressure due to 'critical care demand'

My wife's endocronoligst called again just to confirm there is absolutely no way she can self pay for the MRI he needs, he keeps reassuring her its very likely nothing, but then he keeps also pushing to see if we can self pay in the US or private clinic in Canada, so kind of mixed message making her worry a bit more than she was.

This is why it's not a your body, your choice, because your choice affects others ability to access medical care because so much of a limited resource is being directed to COVID patients, most of whom are not vaccinated.

printer Nov 1st 2021 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 13067621)
Whatever you do if your in BC don't get sick, hospitals are not doing well. This is being reported by a local BC political reporter.

B.C. has been required to minimize operating times at various hospitals across the province due to employees not meeting vaccination appointments as well as increased pressure due to 'critical care demand'

My wife's endocronoligst called again just to confirm there is absolutely no way she can self pay for the MRI he needs, he keeps reassuring her its very likely nothing, but then he keeps also pushing to see if we can self pay in the US or private clinic in Canada, so kind of mixed message making her worry a bit more than she was.

This is why it's not a your body, your choice, because your choice affects others ability to access medical care because so much of a limited resource is being directed to COVID patients, most of whom are not vaccinated.

Todays news suggests Kelowna hospital has two operating wards shut due to lack of staff, Kamloops also having issues with cancelled procedures and Keremeos ER suffering due to staff shortages. It seems the Interior is the worse affected region in terms of unvaccinated nurses/health care workers. In the short term its hard to see this situation improving because you can't just train up a few newbies overnight. Even though it may have been the right decision it seems that the Health authorities have kind of shot themselves in the foot so to speak

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 2nd 2021 1:29 am

Originally Posted by printer (Post 13067659)
Todays news suggests Kelowna hospital has two operating wards shut due to lack of staff, Kamloops also having issues with cancelled procedures and Keremeos ER suffering due to staff shortages. It seems the Interior is the worse affected region in terms of unvaccinated nurses/health care workers. In the short term its hard to see this situation improving because you can't just train up a few newbies overnight. Even though it may have been the right decision it seems that the Health authorities have kind of shot themselves in the foot so to speak

And it's not like there is a surplus of qualifed workers in Canada in general either, most if not all provinces are facing a shortage in general. Kamloops seems to have been hit hard, their hospital has been in the news for several months about one shortage or another, especially with nurses it seems.

But the whole system ran on the brink before COVID, and COVID kind of pushed healthcare system over the edge.

caretaker Nov 3rd 2021 4:01 pm

Sask Premier Moe tells the opposition to "zip it" during question periond. If he thought throwing Health Minister Merriman under the bus would help his image at all, he'd do it with no hesitation, but the Sask Party is so firmly entrenched all he has to do is continue ignoring the advice of the medical community and keep flying patients to Ontario.
https://thestarphoenix.com/news/sask...6-4bc7aec0d01e

Atlantic Xpat Nov 3rd 2021 4:15 pm

Meanwhile in Newfoundland...

The entire medical record, diagnostic imaging, covid test results, and pretty much everything else systems are down, a victim of a cyberattack. The government is being cagy (understandably) on the details but essentially all healthcare in the province is now emergency only.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfo...ay-5-1.6235229

Not, as they say, good.

Danny B Nov 3rd 2021 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 13068192)
Meanwhile in Newfoundland...

The entire medical record, diagnostic imaging, covid test results, and pretty much everything else systems are down, a victim of a cyberattack. The government is being cagy (understandably) on the details but essentially all healthcare in the province is now emergency only.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfo...ay-5-1.6235229

Not, as they say, good.

I can understand (not condone) hackers damaging social media companies systems etc, but what do they have to benefit from screwing up an entire provinces health care system?? I wonder if there was a ransomware demand that wasn't paid?

Atlantic Xpat Nov 3rd 2021 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 13068218)
I can understand (not condone) hackers damaging social media companies systems etc, but what do they have to benefit from screwing up an entire provinces health care system?? I wonder if there was a ransomware demand that wasn't paid?

I'm pretty sure this is ransomware not just malicious hacking. i.e. "Send us $20m in bitcoin and you'll get your systems back". Like the Wannacry hack a few years back.

One Canadian Cybersecurity experts take on it:
As he notes, its not getting the coverage (yet) because this is Newfoundland not Ontario or BC.

Siouxie Nov 3rd 2021 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 13068218)

From the news article..

Sources have told CBC News it was a ransomware attack, a breach in which data or systems are encrypted until a ransom is paid. Ireland's health-care system fell victim to a ransomware attack in May, with government officials there refusing to pay the ransom.

Haggie would not say if data has been lost in the attack. A price tag on repairing Newfoundland and Labrador's damage is also unknown.

Siouxie Nov 3rd 2021 6:30 pm

Interestingly - Health Ontario are recommending that if you had Astra Zeneca double vaccine or Janssen single vaccine 6+ months ago you may be offered a booster dose of an MRNA vaccine, regardless of age...
https://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/pro/...mendations.pdf

. Recipients of a Viral Vector Vaccine or Series (primary series completed with only viral vector vaccines)
Recommendation:
At this time a booster dose of an mRNA COVID-19 vaccine will be offered for the
following individuals:
• Individuals who received two doses of AstraZeneca/COVISHIELD COVID-19
vaccine
• Individuals who received one dose of Janssen/Johnson & Johnson COVID-19
vaccine

The recommended interval for these individuals is ≥6 months (168 days) after the
completion of the primary series.

caretaker Nov 3rd 2021 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 13068255)
Interestingly - Health Ontario are recommending that if you had Astra Zeneca double

That's how they roll it out here, at risk and oldies first then general population ranked from old to young. I had 2x AZ in April and June and got my Pfizer booster 2 weeks ago.

Tirytory Nov 4th 2021 10:42 am

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 13068255)
Interestingly - Health Ontario are recommending that if you had Astra Zeneca double vaccine or Janssen single vaccine 6+ months ago you may be offered a booster dose of an MRNA vaccine, regardless of age...
https://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/pro/...mendations.pdf

Because the AZ vaccine series has shown it’s not as effective against the Delta variant.