Coping with cats

Old Jun 20th 2009, 3:58 am
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coping with cats

We got a cat last year and it was our intention to keep her as an indoor cat because it seems to be the thing to do. It's certainly noticeable that there are very few cats seen outside as compared to when we lived in England.

Anyway having had summer arrive it's proved increasingly difficult to keep her indoors when the kids are constantly going out on to the deck and into the garden. So she's become an outdoor cat now but still settles down inside at night time without any complaint. In fact she seems quite content with the arrangement.

I worry about the neighbours because there aren't many cats outside but I've seen a couple locally. The thing is the litter box is certainly being used less often and I'd prefer it if she'd use that to poo in rather than a neighbour's rose garden or something.

I don't want her to kill any birds so she has a loud bell on her collar and I enjoy watching her go into "hunter" mode only to be foiled by the jangly sound as she leaps.

My only other frustration is her coming and going. It strikes me that Canadian winters and cat flaps don't mix too well and she knows how to annoy me if I don't leap up from the chair immediately to let her in by climbing the screen on the patio door!
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

Red Robo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Coping with cats

Thanks to everyone for their views on the subject. Bringning my cats with me I think I will just see how it goes and where we end up living. Fron the majority of the answers it seems that cats are allowed out but just to keep an eye on them if you can. Thanks anyway