Coping with cats

Old Jun 16th 2009, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

Red Robo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Coping with cats

Heard alot about people taking their dogs to canada but what about all these cat lovers. Just heard that you cant let them out, in alberta anyway, only on a leash!! Is it true and is that why we have never seen any cats when visiting??????How do you cope,? are there lots of cats clawing at windows desperate to get out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
Old Jun 16th 2009, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

HurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud of
Default Re: Coping with cats

It's not that unusual to have indoor only cats

My two have absolutely no desire to go outside. When I have tried them both on a little harness in the garden they are both petrified and want to run back indoors again.

One of mine is a pedigree so would worry he would get stolen or something bad would happen to them if they went outside.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 9:44 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Red Robo
Heard alot about people taking their dogs to canada but what about all these cat lovers. Just heard that you cant let them out, in alberta anyway, only on a leash!! Is it true and is that why we have never seen any cats when visiting??????How do you cope,? are there lots of cats clawing at windows desperate to get out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
Can't say for other localities in Alberta but it is true that you must keep you cat either indoors or on your own property in Calgary.

http://www.calgary.ca/docgallery/bu/...og_leaflet.pdf.

Cats "raised" as indoor animals seem to adapt quite well to this.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 9:48 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

In Alberta, mate, it's not just the cats.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 9:49 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
In Alberta, mate, it's not just the cats.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 9:51 pm
Nova Scotia

Bellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond repute

We bought our outdoor cat with us from the UK and we kept him in for a while after we arrived, but now he goes out just like he would at home, I didn't feel that it was fair that a cat of 11 thats always been allowed out should suddenly be kept in. We know that there are bigger preditors here than in the UK, but I like to see him wandering around and laying out in the sun just my opinion and again its just down to personal choice
Old Jun 16th 2009, 10:03 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

You mean like this?

Dude was an indoors cat until he was 6 months old, then he was desperate to get out. In the end it wasn't animal predators that killed him, just a speeding driver.
Attached Thumbnails Coping with cats-screen-cat.jpg  

Last edited by fledermaus; Jun 16th 2009 at 10:06 pm.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 11:33 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

There were a couple of cats having a party in out back yard earlier today, I surprised them when I was about to empty a bucket of water - one of them got a real soaking as I aimed the water at it - damn things Now don't get me wrong I like cats, I have even had a cat but I don't like other peoples cats messing up my garden and making it smell like cats pee This particular cat is a real nuisance and torments my dog making him bark - he also likes cats - apart from this one!
Old Jun 16th 2009, 11:40 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
There were a couple of cats having a party in out back yard earlier today, I surprised them when I was about to empty a bucket of water - one of them got a real soaking as I aimed the water at it - damn things Now don't get me wrong I like cats, I have even had a cat but I don't like other peoples cats messing up my garden and making it smell like cats pee This particular cat is a real nuisance and torments my dog making him bark - he also likes cats - apart from this one!
Scientific proof that cats are stupider than dogs....

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...ng-theory.html
Old Jun 17th 2009, 12:57 am
Permanent Resident

The Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud of

Red Robo

I think you may find that you have to keep cats in within the Calgary area, if you are further out like us in Okotoks then this does not apply.

My cat has coped fairly well with the cold winter and is now enjoying the warm summer sunshine.

The Ross Family
Old Jun 17th 2009, 4:49 am
BE Enthusiast

albertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond repute

I am taking 2 cats to Alberta next week. This issue has worried me.
I have one who never goes out and one who acts like a dog. Wants to go out to do his business as soon as he gets up.
I think he feels using a litter tray is "beneath him"
I have heard that cats are declawed there but that sounds wrong.
We will really struggle keeping him in but we will just have to see how it goes.
Dont want to upset neighbours as soon as we get there lol.
Tina
Old Jun 17th 2009, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

newshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond repute

Cats bred to be indoor cats can be declawed (front paws only) as kittens... it would be too cruel and painful to declaw adults. There is an option called soft claws (involves trimming the nails and adding falsies ).

We live right on the Calgary city limits and often see cats out and about (there are a couple of little farms nearby) - you just have to be wary because there are coyotes on the prowl and lots of hawks.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 11:43 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Indoor-only cats are very common. Lots of my neighbours have them. One has outdoor cats. They are not popular. Our kitten is an indoor cat. It seems that the decision has to be made from the word go. Once you've let a cat roam, it will want to do it again, and will become unruly poo-wise.

We did have her de-clawed. I will admit that I didn't like the idea but the vet suggested it. I don't think vets do things like that for the fun of it. The cat certainly didn't seem to mind much, or suffer. She was a bit confused for a couple of days.

Indoor cats can be taken outside (ish). We have a gazebo on our deck. We spend a lot of time in it and it's enclosed, a bit like a huge playpen. The cat loves it. Souvette bought her a harness yesterday and tried putting her on the lawn. Minette didn't like that one bit.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 12:08 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Once you've let a cat roam, it will want to do it again, and will become unruly poo-wise.
Huh?

Originally Posted by Souvenir

We did have her de-clawed. I will admit that I didn't like the idea but the vet suggested it.
What if the cat is confronted by a dog? I know you said you intend to imprison it but they're wiley, they do get out, you've made one that can't fight nor escape up a tree.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 1:34 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
Huh?

What if the cat is confronted by a dog? I know you said you intend to imprison it but they're wiley, they do get out, you've made one that can't fight nor escape up a tree.
On the first point, the info I have received is that a cat that roams, and can dump anywhere it likes, will not be too good at adhering to the litter box when inside. I don't know if it's true. It's just what I've been told.

Your views on indoor cats seem pretty clear. I am sympathetic to them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.