Convince me...

Old Mar 15th 2007, 12:29 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Convince me...

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
In a similar vein to Souv, I had my first post deleted recently, presumably because it was considered inappropriate for the forum it was in. Perhaps there is something in the air at the moment that is causing us all to be snarky. Or perhaps that there does seem to have been a recent glut of well, frankly really dumb questions or posts that seem to have no purpose than to invite ridicule. The world is a harsh place at times and this forum is reflective of that.

I know there is no such thing as a dumb question and that many are genuinely seekers after greater knowledge and englightenment. But really if you can use the internet (and since you are here you presumably can unless someone else is 'driving' for you) then you can use a search function. My personal bugbear is the sheer laziness of not endeavouring to research a topic here or elsewhere but rather posting the question here and expecting others to provide you the information on a plate. Do some research and ask for clarification or most likely people's experiences but for gawds sake be an informed consumer and not a cabbage!

One of the common threads that binds us here is perhaps that British dry sense of humour that we may find lacking in our daily interactions with Canadians. For me personally having found this forum after already having immigrated it's a compelling reason to stay.

Anyway, back to more important matters. Souv did you fix the bog?
The bog remains sealed with police tape but at least it isn't smelling much. I'm not touching it again until the weekend. It's a 2-person job really and Souvette works long hours, so I can't ask her to start that kind of stuff when she gets home. Plus, if my worst fears are confirmed, it's not going to be a 10-minute job.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 12:31 am
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Kill the Pals, Islamofascist scum! Death to the Zionist perpetrators of the new holocaust!

etc. etc. etc.
Is this a personal statement of belief or just a sardonic observation?
Old Mar 15th 2007, 12:35 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by printer
Never mind that, did you manage to dig out your compost bin yet?

Oh dear. Yes, the bin has emerged but the great melt has revealed much else besides. For a start we have an RV pad, it'll be interesting to see when the snow in the pasture melts if there's also an RV. We have a post hole digger. We have much fencing in rolls. We have a great deal of debris in the manner of fallen trees and branches and toys for small children and, although we don't yet have any large animals, we have more mud than anyone needs.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 12:37 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
The bog remains sealed with police tape but at least it isn't smelling much. I'm not touching it again until the weekend. It's a 2-person job really and Souvette works long hours, so I can't ask her to start that kind of stuff when she gets home. Plus, if my worst fears are confirmed, it's not going to be a 10-minute job.
I don't know if there is something extra ordinary going on here BUT last night we are all ready to go out and the missus shouts "quick, the toilets leaking" irushed into the bathroom to see water coming out of the soil pipe where it joins the toilet, thankfully i had fitted taps to the supply when i put it in so no damage done but don't know why after all this time (14 months approx) it should suddenly leak.
So looks like i've got another job on when i get home tonight.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 12:40 am

We have a post hole digger.
Do you have a map of where all the power/water etc lines are? That can be quite useful information if you're about the shove an auger into the ground.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 12:41 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madmac
It's intended to reflect both sides of the extremely polarized and irrational discussions of Middle East issues that clutter both GU and NYT board. Hate filled gibberish is the defining characteristic of both boards. I personally don't care for Israel's apartheid policy but thinking about it doesn't reduce me to drooling incoherence.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 12:43 am

Originally Posted by printer
I don't know if there is something extra ordinary going on here BUT last night we are all ready to go out and the missus shouts "quick, the toilets leaking" irushed into the bathroom to see water coming out of the soil pipe where it joins the toilet, thankfully i had fitted taps to the supply when i put it in so no damage done but don't know why after all this time (14 months approx) it should suddenly leak.
So looks like i've got another job on when i get home tonight.

This is a Brit bog, I take it?
Old Mar 15th 2007, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

This is a Brit bog, I take it?
Yep the modern type of low level, dual flush with in built overflow.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 12:46 am
Assimilated Pauper

Do you have a map of where all the power/water etc lines are? That can be quite useful information if you're about the shove an auger into the ground.

No, but any digging we do will be on land not yet acquired, a hay field beyond our property. I think we can be sure that there's nothing out there. We may improve the rest of the fencing but the posts are ok. The bigger worry is the location of cables and pipes within the house; drilling the holes for the gas line was an act of faith and I've still got to bash some holes so as to allow the dryer to vent to the outside.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 12:48 am

Originally Posted by Madmac
Go read some of the stuff on GU (the International folder in particular). You'll see what he means. There are, apparently, rules about libel, racism etc but little to stop me replying to one of your posts but calling you a ******.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 12:51 am

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

It's intended to reflect both sides of the extremely polarized and irrational discussions of Middle East issues that clutter both GU and NYT board. Hate filled gibberish is the defining characteristic of both boards. I personally don't care for Israel's apartheid policy but thinking about it doesn't reduce me to drooling incoherence.
Sadly true.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 1:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
In Perhaps there is something in the air at the moment that is causing us all to be snarky.
I think those on the UK side of the pond are just jumping into action after deciding at the New Year that they need a major change of life, Canada is it, and are now at the point where a bazillion questions are overloading theirs brains (re-wind two years, that was me).

On the Canadian side of the pond, everyone is winter stir-crazy and are drooling for the end of cold and snow and a 'proper' Spring to arrive (not the momentary flash of a ladies leg type of spring on one thread!!).

So - we're all mad - it's delightful - and not often can a thread steer successfully from 'Butchy Baby' to Middle East conflicts, to fixing bogs with such a fast-paced fluid movement. It's why we all love it here !
And long may it continue ...
Old Mar 15th 2007, 2:06 am

Originally Posted by ann m
to filling bogs with such a fast-paced fluid movement.
Winter will do that to a chap.

First rule of living in Canada in Winter: never pass up an opportunity to take a wazz indoors. Particularly if you have to walk home from the pub when it's minus 20.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 2:08 am

Winter will do that to a chap.

First rule of living in Canada in Winter: never pass up an opportunity to take a wazz indoors. Particularly if you have to walk home from the pub when it's minus 20.
...but when you're a bloke, the whole world is your toilet.

<cue much backbiting from the females>
Old Mar 15th 2007, 2:09 am
I don't believe it!

grumpy has much to be proud ofgrumpy has much to be proud ofgrumpy has much to be proud ofgrumpy has much to be proud ofgrumpy has much to be proud ofgrumpy has much to be proud ofgrumpy has much to be proud ofgrumpy has much to be proud ofgrumpy has much to be proud ofgrumpy has much to be proud ofgrumpy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by claire bob and matt
Grumps

If I hit anyone with my handbag I'd likely kill 'em!
C

I don't doubt it - you need a course in Anger Management, methinks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.