Wikiposts

Convince me...

Old Mar 12th 2007, 12:46 pm
Just Joined

Laowai79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Convince me...

Hi,

I'm a Canadian who stumbled across this site. I hope you don't mind that I'm not British Actually, I've been an expat in Asia, off and on, for the past 4.5 years. I'm currently living in Hong Kong and thinking of returning home (permanently). I'm from the East coast (Moncton, NB) and am starting to miss the more laid back lifestyle there. (A little too slow sometimes, though). I am teaching English here in HK but would rather go back to 'regular class teaching' in a Canadian public school.

Anyway, for those of you who live on the East coast, what do you like about it? It would be nice to look at home through a new pair of eyes. By the way, I know that Canada is not perfect (I did leave, didn't I?) so will not be offended by negative comments. Thanks.

LW79
Old Mar 13th 2007, 5:41 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Convince me...

Originally Posted by Laowai79
Hi,

I'm a Canadian who stumbled across this site. I hope you don't mind that I'm not British Actually, I've been an expat in Asia, off and on, for the past 4.5 years. I'm currently living in Hong Kong and thinking of returning home (permanently). I'm from the East coast (Moncton, NB) and am starting to miss the more laid back lifestyle there. (A little too slow sometimes, though). I am teaching English here in HK but would rather go back to 'regular class teaching' in a Canadian public school.

Anyway, for those of you who live on the East coast, what do you like about it? It would be nice to look at home through a new pair of eyes. By the way, I know that Canada is not perfect (I did leave, didn't I?) so will not be offended by negative comments. Thanks.

LW79
Why the east coast? With your experience, it seems that the west coast would suit you better... or is the move back more to do with family and going back to where you are from?
Old Mar 13th 2007, 5:43 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

LW79
Will let you know in a few weeks time.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 5:44 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Not our job to convince you...if you want to you will come back, if you need convincing by strangers its probably not a great idea anyway.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

LW79
Hi - and welcome to the forums! No problem with not being "British", there are all sorts here!

Your real name wouldn't happen to be "Sue", by any chance?......
Old Mar 13th 2007, 7:39 am
Just Joined

UK2Toronto is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm Canadian and have also lived away from home for 5 years (in England) and can't decide whether to move back or not (I never thought it would be permanent, but I've settled here). The problem with moving abroad is that you end up knowing the best and worst of both places and start comparing them, wishing you could combine the countries.
I wanted to wait for my move back until I stopped missing my family - there is no point moving somewhere just to be close to family - you still need to live and work there; so once the pain of homesickness subsided I could concentrate more on lifestyle and work etc back home. But now I too need convincing!
I suppose the question you need to ask yourself is how you want your life to look in 5 or 10 years. Immigrating back home may end up being permanent, are you happy to live out your days there? Do you feel you have unfinished business in Hong Kong? Maybe somewhere else in Canada could be an option?
I keep hoping the answer will come to me one day, but in the meantime my husband and I are saving our pennies so when the day does come we can just go for it.
Anyway, I don't know if I've been much help, but just wanted you to know you aren't alone in your thinking.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 11:35 am
Just Joined

Laowai79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
Not our job to convince you...if you want to you will come back, if you need convincing by strangers its probably not a great idea anyway.

Hey,

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I realize I have to make this decision on my own but it would be nice to hear some positives about the maritimes. My Canadian friends overseas tend to be incredulous that I'd want to go 'back there'.

There are things I like about home and there are things I like about being an expat in HK. My brother and his wife just had a baby about 10 months ago. I was in HK when he was born. I got to see him at Christmas but it would be nice to be around as he's growing up. Alternatively, I could be the 'cool' uncle who brings him exotic stuff from Asia

Anyway, I have to decide soon. I'll let you people know what I decide (not that you probably really care but still...)

Thanks,

LW79
Old Mar 13th 2007, 12:09 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway, I have to decide soon. I'll let you people know what I decide (not that you probably really care but still...)

Thanks,

LW79
To be honest, since I dont know anything about you and you seem 'quite' happy in Asia you are absolutley correct. I couldnt give a <snip>what you do. But hey, welcome to the forum anyway.

Last edited by Biiiiink; Mar 14th 2007 at 7:02 am. Reason: profanity
Old Mar 13th 2007, 3:49 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
I couldnt give a flying f**k...
Not a member of the mile high club yet then Butch?
Old Mar 13th 2007, 4:02 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Not a member of the mile high club yet then Butch?
I said I COULDNT, Not that I HAVENT.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 11:26 pm
Just Joined

UK2Toronto is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought these forums were supposed to be friendly and supportive...
Old Mar 14th 2007, 1:44 am
BE Enthusiast

zalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome to the forum. I lived in HK as a kid and loved it. infact, If I didnt have kids i would probably be there right now. I was there before the change-over and loved the fast pace of the City. I dont know you obviously, but I would find it hard going from an exciting city to the slower pace of the Maritimes, but that is me. Maybe that is what you want. you wont find Central in the Maritimes after all.Good luck in whatever you choose. Ps I went to the Peak school and HKIS and lived on 63 Repulse Bay Road near Stanley Market.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 2:45 am
Banned

Originally Posted by UK2Toronto
And you point is...............

(not being rude, aggressive or nasty Just asking.)
Old Mar 14th 2007, 2:47 am
Forum Regular

welshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nice
Exclamation Re: Convince me...

Originally Posted by UK2Toronto
So did I, but obviously there are a certain few (yob culture crowd) in this forum that decided that poluting the UK with their foul mouths and negativity wasn't enough for them so decided to spread their evil to Canada. Also, they probably don't have anything better to do than sit all day on this site and be as useful as a screen door on a submarine. Who gives the Karma here? Where are the moderators of this site? They should be removing the accounts of these few.

Anyway, the example of that one trash post on this thread shows why perhaps Laowai79 should come back to Canada where commonality of this is hopefully as not as widespread as other countries. I cannot comment on HK though.

"Further Convince Laowai79?"....I have my own reasons and the same dilemma. Although not born in Canada, I have UK/Canadian citizenship from living there for several years. I miss the same things, but above all, the wider spaces, weather, more laid back living and of course more respectful people (fewer yobs).
Old Mar 14th 2007, 2:58 am
Banned

Originally Posted by welshmountie

Anyway, the example of that one trash post on this thread shows why perhaps Laowai79 should come back to Canada where commonality of this is hopefully as not as widespread as other countries. I cannot comment on HK though.
I presume you are refering to my First post on this thread.

Before you make judgements like you have may I make two suggestions:
1) Read it again and try once more to interpret my TRUE meaning
2) Read my other 5000+ posts, you will then see how I can be helpful, supportive, sarcastic, offering good (and bad) advice and even (in some peoples eyes) amusing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.