Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

comparison of holiday/vacation allowances

comparison of holiday/vacation allowances

Old Sep 1st 2010, 6:36 am
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: comparison of holiday/vacation allowances

Originally Posted by dboy
Not sure what kind of company you work for...sounds like a con to me.
Think he efectively works for himself? He's a contractor? I think there is no con.........well certainly he's not being conned.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 6:39 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I don't get paid any holidays whatsoever. No stat days, no annual leave, no sickdays, personal time... nada. I know loads of folk like that.

So, quite clearly, there is no 'absolute legal minimum' for anything in Canada. Well, Alberta.
Originally Posted by dbd33
I know very many people in that position in Ontario, myself included.
Just cos you dont get them , or choose not to take them, that doesnt mean the law isnt there to provide them, it just means its being broken.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 6:41 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jimf
If you're paid by the hour thats fine. However, for those who agree to an emplyment contract that specifies an annual salary, weekly working hours and number of days holiday per year there is no logical reason for a philosophical objection to being paid while on holiday.
It's not so much being paid for vacation but the number of days you are allowed off from work before you are fired.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 6:42 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Me too - all the rest are muppets

I think you will find he is self employed and you have fallen right into the trap he set
wow, quite the trap, talk about confussing a straight forward issue of holiday entitlement. Some people need to get out more.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 6:43 am
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

It seems that where I work in Alberta, all those from the UK got 20 days plus stat holidays whereas the norm would be 10 days plus stat increasing with length of service. No one gets more that 20 days plus stats. .
i do
Old Sep 1st 2010, 6:44 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

If you're paid by the hour thats fine. However, for those who agree to an emplyment contract that specifies an annual salary, weekly working hours and number of days holiday per year there is no logical reason for a philosophical objection to being paid while on holiday.
Originally Posted by gryphea
Think he efectively works for himself? He's a contractor? I think there is no con.........well certainly he's not being conned.
Oh, I imagine its more complicated than that.

Lots of companies (my wife used to work for one) try and pretend that their employees are not in fact employees, but are private self employed contractors, and that the various laws for employees dont apply, but the fact is the MoL will rule that if you dictate where they work, when they work or how much they are to be paid, then you are in fact an employer, and even if you choose not to take any time off paid, you still need to meet their minimum legal obligations, pay their EI and tax etc etc..
Old Sep 1st 2010, 6:50 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Just cos you dont get them , or choose not to take them, that doesnt mean the law isnt there to provide them, it just means its being broken.
Not broken, no. There are lots of ways around it. Our firm deals only with independent subcontractors individually incorporated and nothing to do with us. In unionised environments, such as local government, it's more difficult but what they do is to reduce the working hours to below the threshold for being legally employed and give everyone two part time jobs. All quite kosher and it avoids the employer having to provide the employment security that goes with full time work; in Ontario I believe employees get a fortnight's pay when the employer tires of them, that's not something I'd like to finance.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 7:31 am

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

would not feel comfortable taking a firm's money to be on holiday. It would seem like cheating.
Have you gone stark raving mad? Do catch yourself on.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 7:33 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

in Ontario I believe employees get a fortnight's pay when the employer tires of them, that's not something I'd like to finance.
They also hand out whopping great fines to people found guilty of breaking the employment standards, and heath and safety violations can end you up in jail now.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 9:11 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
Have you gone stark raving mad? Do catch yourself on.
Pardon me, that's my corporate persona.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 9:12 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by iaink
They also hand out whopping great fines to people found guilty of breaking the employment standards, and heath and safety violations can end you up in jail now.
No rules are being broken. People employed by small companies that they own can set whatever rules they like, it's no business of their clients.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 10:05 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Fool me? Hardly.

Why would I want an employer to take a skim off my salary each month, and then give it back to me when I go on holiday, for a certain number of days that he tells me? What am I, a child?

No thanks, I'll stick with getting my wage totally grossed-up, and then deciding myself how much holiday I want.
Is it hard knocking that last nail into your cross by yourself ?
Old Sep 1st 2010, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

I was chuffed when I found out I get 25 days plus stats - I didn't even ask.

Believe me, there will be no guilt on my part when I take advantage of every last one of them
Old Sep 1st 2010, 12:43 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Tuppence

Believe me, there will be no guilt on my part when I take advantage of every last one of them
Absence covered by the tireless workers they call contractors, no doubt.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 12:53 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tuppence

Of course, I feel immensely guilty about being blatantly unprofessional enough to take 2 months every summer (plus stats, of course).

It's a dog's life.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.