Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

comparison of holiday/vacation allowances

comparison of holiday/vacation allowances

Old Sep 1st 2010, 6:02 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: comparison of holiday/vacation allowances

Originally Posted by iaink
How can you get extra stat days A stat day is a stat day, its statutory, mandated by law innit!
some are optional. For instance, boxing day. It also varies from province to province. BC gets 9 offical stats, but Easter Monday and Boxing Day are optional for some reason. I work for the Feds, so we get them. So 11 total.

Last edited by dboy; Sep 1st 2010 at 6:06 am.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 6:03 am
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
yep, just googled that, so 28 not 20?. I think as Iain notes, it's way more complicated here and comes downt to time in with your employer. The cultural norm here is that you start off with less and earn more as you grow with the company. My buddy retired as fire chief in west van and was getting 10 weeks a year plus stats.

Anyway, let's start a campagin for a new stat holiday - British Expats Day!
Where I used to work in the UK it was 20 plus bank holidays to start with extra days for grade/length of service. To compete with other companies in the job market they found they had to increase the starting entitlement to 25 + bank holidays.

It seems that where I work in Alberta, all those from the UK got 20 days plus stat holidays whereas the norm would be 10 days plus stat increasing with length of service. No one gets more that 20 days plus stats. However, you can purchase leave and there is a system where you can work a 10 day fortnight in 9 days ie do the hours for 10 days in 9 days and take a day off.

10 weeks would be nice but I don't think could ever be justified in the real (non-unionised private sector) world.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 6:03 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
How can you get extra stat days A stat day is a stat day, its statutory, mandated by law innit!
I use the term loosely pedant. That's what the hospital calls it, a birthday stat day and a floating stat day.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 6:09 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

I don't get paid any holidays whatsoever. No stat days, no annual leave, no sickdays, personal time... nada. I know loads of folk like that.

So, quite clearly, there is no 'absolute legal minimum' for anything in Canada. Well, Alberta.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by jimf
Where I used to work in the UK it was 20 plus bank holidays to start with extra days for grade/length of service. To compete with other companies in the job market they found they had to increase the starting entitlement to 25 + bank holidays.

It seems that where I work in Alberta, all those from the UK got 20 days plus stat holidays whereas the norm would be 10 days plus stat increasing with length of service. No one gets more that 20 days plus stats. However, you can purchase leave and there is a system where you can work a 10 day fortnight in 9 days ie do the hours for 10 days in 9 days and take a day off.

10 weeks would be nice but I don't think could ever be justified in the real (non-unionised private sector) world.
I agree. I do find that there is a much less regimented approach here to time off, probably to make up for less holidays. I used to work 4 day on 4 day off, so if i took 4 days holidays, I wound up with 12 days off. I personally feel like I get lots of time off and have almost 4 months leave banked.

You adapt, but for those coming from the UK will have to adjust.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 6:12 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I don't get paid any holidays whatsoever. No stat days, no annual leave, no sickdays, personal time... nada. I know loads of folk like that.

So, quite clearly, there is no 'absolute legal minimum' for anything in Canada. Well, Alberta.
I know very many people in that position in Ontario, myself included.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 6:13 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

The Federal and Provincial requirements are here

http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/lp/spila/..._vacations.pdf
Old Sep 1st 2010, 6:15 am

well fool you and them for allowing it to happen, unless you are considered self employed of course.

You don't have to stay with your present employer.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 6:17 am
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

There are exemptions but here is says 2 weeks paid vacation rising to 3 weeks after 5 years:

http://employment.alberta.ca/SFW/1471.html
Old Sep 1st 2010, 6:21 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

well fool you and them for allowing it to happen, unless you are considered self employed of course.

You don't have to stay with your present employer.
Fool me? Hardly.

Why would I want an employer to take a skim off my salary each month, and then give it back to me when I go on holiday, for a certain number of days that he tells me? What am I, a child?

No thanks, I'll stick with getting my wage totally grossed-up, and then deciding myself how much holiday I want.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 6:24 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

What am I, a child?
Besides that aspect of it, it becomes a philosophical thing, I don't like paying people not to do work and now would not feel comfortable taking a firm's money to be on holiday. It would seem like cheating.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 6:25 am

Fool me? Hardly.

Why would I want an employer to take a skim off my salary each month, and then give it back to me when I go on holiday, for a certain number of days that he tells me? What am I, a child?

No thanks, I'll stick with getting my wage totally grossed-up, and then deciding myself how much holiday I want.
You were suggesting that your employer was ignoring the law, if you don't expect such a response, don't muddy the waters. Simple isn't it. And what is this skimmed off??? Some get an additional 6 percent in pay added each month for holidays that is re-directed for holidays, but skimming?.

Not sure what kind of company you work for...sounds like a con to me.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 6:34 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Besides that aspect of it, it becomes a philosophical thing, I don't like paying people not to do work and now would not feel comfortable taking a firm's money to be on holiday. It would seem like cheating.
Not sure I see it like that. My company pays me cash, I do what the t&c's say in my contract which was agreed when I started. It's not a zero sum game and everybody wins (well in my case).
Old Sep 1st 2010, 6:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Fool me? Hardly.

Me too - all the rest are muppets

You were suggesting that your employer was ignoring the law, if you don't expect such a response, don't muddy the waters. Simple isn't it. And what is this skimmed off??? Some get an additional 6 percent in pay added each month for holidays that is re-directed for holidays, but skimming?.

Not sure what kind of company you work for...sounds like a con to me.
I think you will find he is self employed and you have fallen right into the trap he set
Old Sep 1st 2010, 6:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dbd33
If you're paid by the hour thats fine. However, for those who agree to an emplyment contract that specifies an annual salary, weekly working hours and number of days holiday per year there is no logical reason for a philosophical objection to being paid while on holiday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.