Reload this Page >

comparison of holiday/vacation allowances

comparison of holiday/vacation allowances

Old Sep 1st 2010, 4:22 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default comparison of holiday/vacation allowances

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-11139960

see that, Canada way way down at the bottom. Not that it's news to me.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 4:34 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: comparison of holiday/vacation allowances

Originally Posted by fledermaus
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-11139960

see that, Canada way way down at the bottom. Not that it's news to me.
Interesting read. Suprised the UK is listed at only 20 with no paid stat holidays
Old Sep 1st 2010, 4:49 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Interesting read. Suprised the UK is listed at only 20 with no paid stat holidays
I guess they aren't guaranteed by law. If you work a bank holiday in the UK an employer doesn't have to give you a day off in lieu of it.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 4:58 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by iaink
Yep that does seem odd.

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I guess they aren't guaranteed by law. If you work a bank holiday in the UK an employer doesn't have to give you a day off in lieu of it.
I thought that they did, even if part time or temp. So is it a mistake?
Old Sep 1st 2010, 5:02 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep that does seem odd.

I thought that they did, even if part time or temp. So is it a mistake?
When I worked in a pub while I was a student I don't remember getting time off in lieu. I got paid double time - something I was quite happy with.

I could be misremembering though - it was a while back now.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 5:15 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Alan2005
When I worked in a pub while I was a student I don't remember getting time off in lieu. I got paid double time - something I was quite happy with.

I could be misremembering though - it was a while back now.
Yeah, but regs will have changed since olden times.........

If I recall correctly if you are required to work on a day that would normally be a day off then you are paid time and half, sometimes double, and get a day off in lieu. If you don't normally work that day then you just get the time and half.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 5:22 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, but regs will have changed since olden times.........

If I recall correctly if you are required to work on a day that would normally be a day off then you are paid time and half, sometimes double, and get a day off in lieu. If you don't normally work that day then you just get the time and half.
That seems a lot like Ontario labour law at first glance...
Old Sep 1st 2010, 5:30 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think those figures tell the whole story

In the UK stat holidays are included in the total min. My brother gets 4 weeks a year which includes stats holidays. Although, I don't think this is the norm and I believe decent employers typically give 4 weeks plus stat hols, so 5 plus weeks is more typical.

Here the 20 day min also includes stats but the opposite is true of the UK where employers here don't tack the stats on top of one's hols, so 20 is generally what you get.

You need to have at least 5 years in with an employer here to get anything that approaches what is typical in the UK. I now get 5 weeks but it took me 10 years. So 5 weeks plus 11 days of stats (boxing day is optional here) plus 2 weeks for being on call is pretty good, and unused leave can be carried over to the next year.

I've also noticed here that there tends to be a culture of knocking off early or doing peronal errands on company time. Also the 4 day week is a lot more common.

the other thing here is that odd sick leave that is assigned that you are expected to use by the end of the year. the mrs gets 4 weeks leave and one week sick leave??? why just not give here 5 weeks - seems odd.

Last edited by dboy; Sep 1st 2010 at 5:35 am.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 5:34 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by dboy

In the UK stat holidays can be included in the total min but there is no requirement to do so. My brother gets 4 weeks a year which includes stats holidays. Although, I don't think this is the norm and I believe decent employers typically give 4 weeks plus stat hols.

Here the 20 day min includes stats and the opposite is true of the UK where employers here don't tack the stats on top of one's hols.

You need to have at least 5 years here to get anything that approaches what is typical in the UK. I now get 5 weeks but it took me 10 years. So 5 weeks plus 11 days of stats (boxing day is optional here) plus 2 weeks for being on call is pretty good.

I've also noticed here that there tends to be a culture of knocking off early or doing peronal errands on company time. Also the 4 day week is a lot more common.
Im confused...

Firstly if the discussion is about legally protected minimums then what "decent employers" do doesnt matter. Decent employers in Canada allow more than the legal minimum too.

And as far as I know there is no 20 day minimum here, stat holidays or not. In Ontario at least the minimum is ten days (with some conditions), plus the 8 stat days (with some conditions)

How much you get here seems to be changing in recent years, and depends on the seniority of the position plus a candidates negotiating skills, plus the employment field.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 5:39 am
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

I think the report above is incorrect for the UK.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employme...ys/DG_10029788

Looks like 28 days is the minimum paid leave requirement, but it doesn't have to include public holidays.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 5:44 am

In the UK stat holidays are included in the total min. My brother gets 4 weeks a year which includes stats holidays. Although, I don't think this is the norm and I believe decent employers typically give 4 weeks plus stat hols, so 5 plus weeks is more typical.

Here the 20 day min also includes stats but the opposite is true of the UK where employers here don't tack the stats on top of one's hols, so 20 is generally what you get.

You need to have at least 5 years in with an employer here to get anything that approaches what is typical in the UK. I now get 5 weeks but it took me 10 years. So 5 weeks plus 11 days of stats (boxing day is optional here) plus 2 weeks for being on call is pretty good, and unused leave can be carried over to the next year.

the other thing here is that odd sick leave that is assigned that you are expected to use by the end of the year. the mrs gets 4 weeks leave and one week sick leave??? why just not give here 5 weeks - seems odd.
We have this kind of thing here. Personal days, vacation days etc. I think they are separated due to the way the are accumulated over the year - though it seems odd to me.

My "time in" was grandfathered when I transferred, so like you am in 25 days + statutory hols. I'm happy with that, even though I used to get 30 + statutory in the UK.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 5:44 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jimf

Looks like 28 days is the minimum paid leave requirement, but it doesn't have to include public holidays.
yep, just googled that, so 28 not 20?. I think as Iain notes, it's way more complicated here and comes downt to time in with your employer. The cultural norm here is that you start off with less and earn more as you grow with the company. My buddy retired as fire chief in west van and was getting 10 weeks a year plus stats.

Anyway, let's start a campagin for a new stat holiday - British Expats Day!
Old Sep 1st 2010, 5:45 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jimf

Yes, I just read that too. Ontario is 10 days AL plus stat days

I work part time and get pay in lieu of vacation at 12 days a year. Full time get 4 weeks plus stat days. Full time also get 2 extra stat days.

Our experience of jobs here has only been the minimum or very close to it.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 5:51 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

It does vary a lot. Unionized workplaces (mainly public services) seem to do a lot better than industry. When I worked at a woodworking shop the workers got 4% (i.e. 10 days) plus stats. 6% (15 days) plus stats after five years. That was it. No sick pay. No personal time off. No work meant no pay. If you were sick or had other time off you were expected to make the time up by working late or at weekends.

What the company did offer was flexible working patterns. Many people chose to work four days of ten hours and have a long weekend every weekend. When they combined the extra days off with stats they could manage a decent amount of paid time off in the summer.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 5:53 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

Yes, I just read that too. Ontario is 10 days AL plus stat days

I work part time and get pay in lieu of vacation at 12 days a year. Full time get 4 weeks plus stat days. Full time also get 2 extra stat days.

Our experience of jobs here has only been the minimum or very close to it.
How can you get extra stat days A stat day is a stat day, its statutory, mandated by law innit!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.