Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Climate change and the Alberta Floods

Climate change and the Alberta Floods

Old Jun 28th 2013, 4:46 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Climate change and the Alberta Floods

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I am always saddened to hear this. People can vote out politicians that support it and vote in politicians that wish us to return to living by using our own muscles for transportation, lighting and working. Simple really.
Simple in theory perhaps, but in Alberta, really?

The next government is going to either more of the same or the Wildrose Party which would be even worse ecologically, basically worse all ways around.

A Liberal or NDP government in Alberta is never going to happen at least not in our lifetimes.
Old Jun 28th 2013, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P

The next government is going to either more of the same or the Wildrose Party which would be even worse ecologically, basically worse all ways around.

A Liberal or NDP government in Alberta is never going to happen at least not in our lifetimes.
If people anywhere in the world feel that a lifestyle based on fossil fuel energy is wrong they can start and vote for a party that advocates a pre-1750 type lifestyle. Without demand for the oil the mining in Alberta wouldn't then be required.
Old Jun 28th 2013, 5:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

So this must mean that the residents in Alberta are happy with what their level of government is doing. You know as well as I do that, with voter apathy being what it is across most of the western world these days, it wouldn't take much rallying on the part of party committed to policies that had all around support to kick out most incumbents simply because the conservative supporters believe what you have stated above: that their man/woman is safe regardless of what the others do.

On a Federal level I don't know, but I would imagine, that that government could enact legislation that would give the environmentalists exactly what they are seeking. So it's not simply an "all Albertans are slaves to the oil companies" argument. I accept that this doesn't fit in with what the environmentalists wish to hear.
Old Jun 28th 2013, 5:32 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Never is a long time.

I can accept the unlikelihood of the NDP, which I strongly suspect will get mauled next time we have a federal election, but the Liberals, I also suspect, are poised for a major comeback.

Most people don't bother to vote and of those that do many never switch parties. The floating voters are the ones that win or lose elections.

The NDP swept QC last time because of Layton and a TV programme. There is no more Layton, so the NDP is screwed.

The Liberals are bound to recapture shitloads of seats out this way and could easily do the same out west (Justin has already proved that he can knock the crap out of a Tory).
Old Jun 28th 2013, 5:45 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Souvy
Never is a long time.

I can accept the unlikelihood of the NDP, which I strongly suspect will get mauled next time we have a federal election, but the Liberals, I also suspect, are poised for a major comeback.

Most people don't bother to vote and of those that do many never switch parties. The floating voters are the ones that win or lose elections.

The NDP swept QC last time because of Layton and a TV programme. There is no more Layton, so the NDP is screwed.

The Liberals are bound to recapture shitloads of seats out this way and could easily do the same out west (Justin has already proved that he can knock the crap out of a Tory).
Souvy you are looking at a national government I'm talking about Alberta. As far as I know the Wildrose Party is not national. I did say in my last sentence "A Liberal or NDP government in Alberta is never going to happen".

Two totally different animals.

Nationally I don't doubt anything you say and I think it entirely possible that Harper and his Reform-Conservatives will be kicked into touch in the next election.

Last edited by Steve_P; Jun 28th 2013 at 5:47 pm.
Old Jun 28th 2013, 6:02 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Souvy you are looking at a national government I'm talking about Alberta. As far as I know the Wildrose Party is not national. I did say in my last sentence "A Liberal or NDP government in Alberta is never going to happen".

Two totally different animals.

Nationally I don't doubt anything you say and I think it entirely possible that Harper and his Reform-Conservatives will be kicked into touch in the next election.
My bad. Sorry.
Old Jun 28th 2013, 7:55 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Climate change ehh

Most probably is, but does the Earth not change it's climate all the time. It's a living breathing planet, changing constantly. (With or without fossil fuel or human waste) A volcano pumps out more shite than a family saloon, so stopping people from driving wont make a difference.

The deserts used to be oceans, and mountains were flat plains even before we had gas guzzling v8's.

My advise:
Just stop building houses where it will flood and we will all be ok.
Old Jun 28th 2013, 8:09 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimf
If people anywhere in the world feel that a lifestyle based on fossil fuel energy is wrong they can start and vote for a party that advocates a pre-1750 type lifestyle. Without demand for the oil the mining in Alberta wouldn't then be required.
Can't you do better than that? The people could also vote for a party that advocates a 21st century type lifestyle where the use of fossil fuels is increasingly restricted to applications where no practical alternative currently exist, (e.g. aviation fuel, feedstock for certain pharmaceuticals).

And mining oil in Alberta isn't even currently required. It is, as you accepted earlier, simply about making money, not usable energy.
Old Jun 28th 2013, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
And mining oil in Alberta isn't even currently required. It is, as you accepted earlier, simply about making money, not usable energy.
There are a lot of things we do that aren't required. If it's simply about making money thats okay. I like making money. That bank doesn't take to many other forms of payment on the mortgage.
Old Jun 28th 2013, 8:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Can't you do better than that? The people could also vote for a party that advocates a 21st century type lifestyle where the use of fossil fuels is increasingly restricted to applications where no practical alternative currently exist, (e.g. aviation fuel, feedstock for certain pharmaceuticals).

How would you employ all of those working in that particular industry in Canada at the moment? If it was worthwhile keeping miners employed for a loss in the UK, isn't it worth keeping those employed in oil in gas for a profit in Canada?
Old Jun 28th 2013, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

There doesn't appear to be great popular appeal for the party you describe above.

Obviously the oil sands is about making money. Is there a commercial enterprise anywhere in the world that isn't about making money? Without the demand for the product to set the price in the market the oil sands wouldn't be viable. Virtually everyone uses the product and therefore provides tacit support to the industry.
Old Jun 28th 2013, 9:01 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

There doesn't appear to be great popular appeal for the party you describe above.

Obviously the oil sands is about making money. Is there a commercial enterprise anywhere in the world that isn't about making money? Without the demand for the product to set the price in the market the oil sands wouldn't be viable. Virtually everyone uses the product and therefore provides tacit support to the industry.
Big Oil likes to spin itself as being in the Energy Business. Now we all know they're not, they're really in the Money and Political Power Business. <gasp>
Old Jun 28th 2013, 9:05 pm
Born again atheist

Not in Alberta, no. Not yet in Canada (look what happened to Stephan Dion, whose policies I agreed with, but whose personality was woeful).

But in other, dare I say, more advanced countries such as Germany, the Green Party is mainstream and has been in several coalition governments at both "provincial" and Federal levels.

Try taking your blinkers off and looking to the future rather than your portfolio in the short term.
Old Jun 28th 2013, 10:43 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I am always saddened to hear this. People can vote out politicians that support it and vote in politicians that wish us to return to living by using our own muscles for transportation, lighting and working. Simple really.
As I've pointed out before - no you can't, because the oil and gas sector give tons of money to the PCs, the labour unions are too scared of voting for anyone but the PCs because they've developed a cosy relationship over so many years, plus a huge proportion of people work in the oil and gas industry.

Even if the WRA were voted in, they aren't going to do anything significantly differently to the PCs on this issue. Nor would any other political party in Alberta.

The entire economy depends on oil and gas in this province.
Old Jun 28th 2013, 10:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Steve_
As I've pointed out before - no you can't, because the oil and gas sector give tons of money to the PCs, the labour unions are too scared of voting for anyone but the PCs because they've developed a cosy relationship over so many years, plus a huge proportion of people work in the oil and gas industry.

Even if the WRA were voted in, they aren't going to do anything significantly differently to the PCs on this issue. Nor would any other political party in Alberta.

The entire economy depends on oil and gas in this province.
Yet only 30% or so of Alberta's economy is oil and gas related. What about the other 70%? A bit defeatest if you ask me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.