Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Climate change and the Alberta Floods

Climate change and the Alberta Floods

Old Jun 28th 2013, 10:52 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Climate change and the Alberta Floods

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
So it's not simply an "all Albertans are slaves to the oil companies" argument. I accept that this doesn't fit in with what the environmentalists wish to hear.
But it is to a large extent, I mean look at who the largest employers are, the largest non-food retailer employer in Calgary is Precision Drilling Co. and the largest employer in the province is AHS, and the money to fund AHS obviously comes in large part from tax revenues on the oil and gas industry.

Essentially the oil and gas industry own Alberta, no-one likes to admit it but in essence they do.

The PCs haven't been in power for 40+ years by accident. Look at the top employers list: http://v250.albertaventure.com/large...rta-employers/

How many of those are taxpayer-funded or in the natural resources industry? I count seven in the top ten.
Old Jun 28th 2013, 10:54 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Yet only 30% or so of Alberta's economy is oil and gas related. What about the other 70%? A bit defeatest if you ask me
Like I said, check that list, of that 70% what proportion are public services funded by tax revenue from oil and gas?

And who could possibly win an election without the oil and gas industry if they have a lock on 30% of the vote anyway?

Just look at that list of employers and how many times do you see: "resource industries"?
Old Jun 28th 2013, 11:13 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
the largest non-food retailer employer in Calgary is Precision Drilling Co.
How'd you work that one out?
Old Jun 29th 2013, 3:22 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

But it is to a large extent, I mean look at who the largest employers are, the largest non-food retailer employer in Calgary is Precision Drilling Co. and the largest employer in the province is AHS, and the money to fund AHS obviously comes in large part from tax revenues on the oil and gas industry.

Essentially the oil and gas industry own Alberta, no-one likes to admit it but in essence they do.

The PCs haven't been in power for 40+ years by accident. Look at the top employers list: http://v250.albertaventure.com/large...rta-employers/

How many of those are taxpayer-funded or in the natural resources industry? I count seven in the top ten.
I find the term "resource industry" a bit amusing givem the above discussion. But more importantly, I'm impressed by the fact that AHS employs 3 times the number of the next highest employer (Safeway) and that the enterprises listed above the first Oil company (Suncor) employ 158,100 Albertans (Suncor = 13,000).

Not a big employer then. Just a money cow.
Old Jun 29th 2013, 4:59 am
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

That looks like a worldwide numer of employees for Agrium (who use lots of energy to manufaturer fertiliser)? Safeway and CPR values probably include jobs outside of Alberta also - 30,000 Safeway employees in Alberta seems unlikely. I doubt Stantec employees 11 thousand just in Alberta. Once the public sector organisations are taken out Suncor probably is the largest employer.
Old Jun 29th 2013, 5:06 am
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Not in Alberta, no. Not yet in Canada (look what happened to Stephan Dion, whose policies I agreed with, but whose personality was woeful).

But in other, dare I say, more advanced countries such as Germany, the Green Party is mainstream and has been in several coalition governments at both "provincial" and Federal levels.

Try taking your blinkers off and looking to the future rather than your portfolio in the short term.
Stephan who?

So "advanced" Germany burns more coal than just about anyone and exports more carbon emitting products than just about anyone. It's good to see the greens are influential there.

I suppose if it's ok for green party members to take multiple long haul flights between multiple homes on distant continents each year then anything goes........

Last edited by jimf; Jun 29th 2013 at 5:14 am.
Old Jun 29th 2013, 11:26 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I find the term "resource industry" a bit amusing givem the above discussion. But more importantly, I'm impressed by the fact that AHS employs 3 times the number of the next highest employer (Safeway) and that the enterprises listed above the first Oil company (Suncor) employ 158,100 Albertans (Suncor = 13,000).

Not a big employer then. Just a money cow.
Oil companies don't employ a lot of people. They contract with an awful lot of people, and put food on an awful lot of tables. On my project alone, there are over 5,000 people earning a good living, probably only 200-300 are actually employed by the oil company.
Old Jun 29th 2013, 4:31 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Oil companies don't employ a lot of people. They contract with an awful lot of people, and put food on an awful lot of tables. On my project alone, there are over 5,000 people earning a good living, probably only 200-300 are actually employed by the oil company.
Fair enough. I was just reading Steve's link.
Old Jun 30th 2013, 3:49 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
How'd you work that one out?
I've read it several times in the Herald over the years, that list seems to suggest otherwise but that shows where the HQ is, in terms of total employees in Calgary, Safeway comes first followed by Precision Drilling. But yeah it's hard to know because how many of them are listed at that address but actually work outside of Calgary, hard to tell.
Old Jun 30th 2013, 3:50 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Anyway, here's another article that illustrates how the oil and gas industry basically run Alberta: http://www.calgaryherald.com/busines...455/story.html
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 6:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Souvy
Is it beyond the abilities of mankind to use natural gas instead of petroleum?
It's starting to happen, but it's a slow and expensive process. Not many people will buy Compressed Natural Gas cars because there's nowhere to fill them up, but who wants to build a CNG filling station when there's no demand? That said, big gas producers are working on more CNG trucks and buses, with a focus on fleets which return to a home base every day, and can be refueled there. There's also projects under way to develop CNG stations on major trucking routes throughout North America.

Natural Gas is also being used more and more to operate the drilling and fracking equipment that usually runs on diesel.
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 6:20 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danfolkestone
It's starting to happen, but it's a slow and expensive process. Not many people will buy Compressed Natural Gas cars because there's nowhere to fill them up, but who wants to build a CNG filling station when there's no demand? That said, big gas producers are working on more CNG trucks and buses, with a focus on fleets which return to a home base every day, and can be refueled there. There's also projects under way to develop CNG stations on major trucking routes throughout North America.

Natural Gas is also being used more and more to operate the drilling and fracking equipment that usually runs on diesel.
I thought that liquid hydrogen fueled cars/vehicles was the way to go in the future..as there is an infinite supply..other bonus that emission are zero...but what do i know
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 6:50 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
I thought that liquid hydrogen fueled cars/vehicles was the way to go in the future..as there is an infinite supply..other bonus that emission are zero...but what do i know
Not a lot. Liquid Hydrogen only exists below 33K (or 20K if you want it at atmospheric pressure).

Moreover, although there is a lot of it around (in water, not as combustable hydrogen) you have to consider the energy inputs required to "extract" it from water.

There's an interesting study published in Israel (I'd have to search to find the reference but it was from the Weizmann Institute) which employs Zn and mirror concentrated sunlight to accomplish the task, with the Zn being simply regenerated later.

As they say in Germany, Zukuenftsmusik.

Pilot scale at the moment though.
Old Jul 4th 2013, 5:02 am
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of

http://ezralevant.com/2013/07/turbine-stand-still.html

Interesting report showing the problems surrounding wind power in Ontario.
Old Jul 4th 2013, 12:45 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GavinR
http://ezralevant.com/2013/07/turbine-stand-still.html

Interesting report showing the problems surrounding wind power in Ontario.
I got as far as the caption:

"Lorrie Goldstein and Ezra Levant explore the blackouts in Alberta that are partially the result of unreliable, inefficient wind energy."

I thought "Ah, Lorrie Goldstein, not to be taken seriously then" and was about to close the window when I thought "wait a minute, Alberta's not in Ontario, is it?"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.