Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Climate change and the Alberta Floods

Climate change and the Alberta Floods

Old Jun 26th 2013, 7:04 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Climate change and the Alberta Floods

Originally Posted by gryphea
Couldn't agree more (and I believe in man-made climate change)
I hope by that you mean "I accept that the science demonstrating that man-made climate change is happening is solid?"

Rather than "I believe in causing man-made climate change".

Just checking.
Old Jun 26th 2013, 7:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
According to talkback yesterday, that was the popular theme. You can't blame BCers for being angry.
They're angry because Alberta has suffered floods? Weird.

Did you swim from New Zealand to Canada?
Old Jun 26th 2013, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

No, I don't. But I do recognise it's terribly inconvenient for you that climate change is happening AND now effecting Alberta.
What I mean is that I don't see a lot of people getting out of their cars in Vancouver to do something about climate change. It's easy to blame Alberta for it. It's a lot harder to change lifestyle to do something about it.

Being part of the solution doesn't involve blaming someone else for the problem. If you really want to do something, don't create a market. And remember that Alberta isn't the only place oil comes from - removing the market goes beyond not approving a pipeline.
Old Jun 26th 2013, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I hope by that you mean "I accept that the science demonstrating that man-made climate change is happening is solid?"

Rather than "I believe in causing man-made climate change".

Just checking.
You are right! The first!!
Old Jun 26th 2013, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

earthquakes aren't caused by climate, duh.
Sure, but this flood is caused by climate; that its caused by climate change is a leap too far. So its a natural hazard, same as earthquakes. Can't really see what BCers are angry about. How can you get angry that another province has flooded. That's just plain weird

Like the others I think BCers are hypocritical. Our Vancouver office hardly recycles anything; in Calgary we even compost the coffee grounds. Whenever I go to BC I see giant ferries, float planes, and loads of motor boats; so a lot of demand for oil. I also see huge open pit mines; including fossil fuels and fracking too. Plus I see loads of cars stuck in endless traffic because they have to commute so far.
Old Jun 26th 2013, 11:11 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Sure, but this flood is caused by climate; that its caused by climate change is a leap too far. So its a natural hazard, same as earthquakes. Can't really see what BCers are angry about. How can you get angry that another province has flooded. That's just plain weird

Like the others I think BCers are hypocritical. Our Vancouver office hardly recycles anything; in Calgary we even compost the coffee grounds. Whenever I go to BC I see giant ferries, float planes, and loads of motor boats; so a lot of demand for oil. I also see huge open pit mines; including fossil fuels and fracking too. Plus I see loads of cars stuck in endless traffic because they have to commute so far.
You didn't mention the huge areas of forest that have been clear cut.

Although it likely doesn't directly contribute to climate change it sure isn't environmentally friendly. Then again that's huge a area that is no longer going to absorb any carbon dioxide.
Old Jun 26th 2013, 1:07 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I think between the two of you, the issues are being conflated. I think Kiwi was on about the pipeline through BC, not suggesting the the left coasters were angry about Calgary being inundated.
Old Jun 26th 2013, 1:09 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Steve_P
You didn't mention the huge areas of forest that have been clear cut.

Although it likely doesn't directly contribute to climate change it sure isn't environmentally friendly. Then again that's huge a area that is no longer going to absorb any carbon dioxide.
Oh, but it does. Just for the reason you mentioned. Lower CO2 absorption.
Old Jun 26th 2013, 1:12 pm

I think between the two of you, the issues are being conflated. I think Kiwi was on about the pipeline through BC, not suggesting the the left coasters were angry about Calgary being inundated.
If I understand correctly the pipeline itself is not "the" major issue. It's shipping the heavy stuff out by tanker that seems to be the big issue with a large number of B.C. residents, not all I know but a lot.

Otherwise why would they seem to be OK with a refinery on the coast and shipping lighter product overseas?

Last edited by Steve_P; Jun 26th 2013 at 1:14 pm.
Old Jun 26th 2013, 1:13 pm

Oh, but it does. Just for the reason you mentioned. Lower CO2 absorption.
Sorta why I said "Then again".
Old Jun 26th 2013, 1:14 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Steve_P
If I understand correctly the pipeline itself is not "the" major issue. It's the port ans shipping the stuff out by tanker that seems to be the big issue with a large number of B.C. residents, not all I know but a lot.

Otherwise why would they seem to be OK with a refinery on the coast and shipping lighter product overseas?
I think you're right. It was/is both the pipeline and what happens after the stuff reaches the ocean.

Edit: No-one in their right mind would link the CO2 emissions from the tar sands directly with the flood, and no-one in their right mind would link any single catastrophic event in a direct causal way with climate change.

It's the difference between weather (how it it this week) and climate (how it's been for the last 30 years) that counts.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Jun 26th 2013 at 1:19 pm.
Old Jun 26th 2013, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oh, OK then. I think I have missed something, did it get approved? I thought the hearing wrapped up but no report or judgement?
Old Jun 27th 2013, 2:18 am
Born again atheist

Oh, OK then. I think I have missed something, did it get approved? I thought the hearing wrapped up but no report or judgement?
That's my understanding too.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 2:20 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

According to talkback yesterday, that was the popular theme. You can't blame BCers for being angry.
And I'm sure if the oilsands were in BC they would be left completely untouched.

It's the same country after all.

Half my neighbours seem to be from BC so clearly a lot of the BCers who aren't hugging trees voted with their feet.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by Steve_
And I'm sure if the oilsands were in BC they would be left completely untouched.
Or any other province for that matter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.