Census 2016

Old May 4th 2016, 5:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Census 2016

I saw nothinf that indicated it was the short version.

I would budget for the long just in case.

The short is really short though. 5 mins or less and basically a waste of time.

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
does it tell you when you sign in if you've got the long or short version , or do you need to budget time for the long and then be surprised when it ends early?
Old May 4th 2016, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Why should the government know my mortgage payment or what I think my house is worth?
Old May 4th 2016, 7:46 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

does it tell you when you sign in if you've got the long or short version , or do you need to budget time for the long and then be surprised when it ends early?
Nothing obvious. Just that when you've spent 10 minutes it says you're 26% through or something.
Old May 4th 2016, 8:39 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Helps the gov't know what people are paying for housing, and where social housing would be most in need.

There are very important reasons why the government needs to know these things, without this knowledge, the services people use and rely on would suffer.

Originally Posted by jimf
Why should the government know my mortgage payment or what I think my house is worth?
Old May 4th 2016, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Helps the gov't know what people are paying for housing, and where social housing would be most in need.

There are very important reasons why the government needs to know these things, without this knowledge, the services people use and rely on would suffer.
Some information is needed to plan services certainly. Whether I have a big mortgage outstanding or have paid it off is of no relevance to government services as is what I think my house is worth. A lot of the content looks pretty dubious.
Old May 4th 2016, 8:58 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Some information is needed to plan services certainly. Whether I have a big mortgage outstanding or have paid it off is of no relevance to government services as is what I think my house is worth. A lot of the content looks pretty dubious.
Really?

What about the recent change on the amount of mortgage allowable in relation to property value?

What would they base such a decision on other than size of mortgage in relation to house value?
Old May 4th 2016, 9:01 pm
Account Closed

Helps determine if the mortgage rules are sufficient in today's market if they know what people are paying across the country.

I got the short form, so all I can say is everything they asked, CRA already knows, as does a variety of other government agencies and ministries.

Old May 4th 2016, 9:23 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

We got the long one. I guess we is speeshul
Old May 4th 2016, 10:38 pm
Oscar nominated

We got the long one. I guess we is speeshul
I wonder if it related to the allotted number input or just every fourth one going on the site.

And what's the purpose of the number they give you at the end?
Old May 4th 2016, 10:45 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alex2201
Got the letter in the post today. This in a country where they cant tell you how many previous owners a car has had due to privacy laws.....
Load of old bollocks innit?
Has it has the major 100k service I asked. I'm not sure said the dealer. Well it was traded in here, can't you call the previous owner. Nope.

I couldn't believe the dealer could not show me any previous service history or how many owners because of privacy laws?
Old May 4th 2016, 10:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Really?

What about the recent change on the amount of mortgage allowable in relation to property value?

What would they base such a decision on other than size of mortgage in relation to house value?
Don't need census information for that at all. They don't know what the mortgage balance outstanding is, if the payment is capital or interest, what the term of the mortgage is etc. My idea of my houses value could well be completely unrealistic.
Old May 4th 2016, 10:59 pm
Oscar nominated

My idea of my houses value could well be completely unrealistic.
You know the assessed value. You know the assessed value in relation to the market value when you bought it.

Probably somewhere along the way you also knew the market values of similar properties and you might make a reasonable comparison based on what you know and have readily available compared to other people who don't have that readily available.

Most likely, nobody is better placed than you to know about other conditions, when important structural stuff was last done, age and type of heating system and a few other details.

I'd say that would make you better placed than anyone.
Old May 5th 2016, 12:11 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
Load of old bollocks innit?
Has it has the major 100k service I asked. I'm not sure said the dealer. Well it was traded in here, can't you call the previous owner. Nope.

I couldn't believe the dealer could not show me any previous service history or how many owners because of privacy laws?
What was more amusing to me was taking my car in for a service in the US and they put the VIN in their system and couldn't get any vehicle information because of privacy laws. All it told them was the name and address of the Canadian importer.

Anyway I had the short census, took me about a minute.
Old May 5th 2016, 1:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BristolUK
You know the assessed value. You know the assessed value in relation to the market value when you bought it.

Probably somewhere along the way you also knew the market values of similar properties and you might make a reasonable comparison based on what you know and have readily available compared to other people who don't have that readily available.

Most likely, nobody is better placed than you to know about other conditions, when important structural stuff was last done, age and type of heating system and a few other details.

I'd say that would make you better placed than anyone.
The assessed value ie from the local government. So one level of government assesses my property for tax and gives me a value which I then put on a form for another level of government to use. Managing an interface between levels of government shouldn't really be the purpose of a census.

I don't monitor market values of properties. I can view advertised prices on the realtor website but sold prices are a big secret known only to realtors. I've no idea what work other people have done on their houses and what that costs so other house prices of of no use anyway.

I'm sure the CRA will follow you advice and accept my valuation of my house if it is ever necessary for a capital gain calculation.....
Old May 5th 2016, 1:29 am
Oscar nominated

The assessed value ie from the local government. So one level of government assesses my property for tax and gives me a value which I then put on a form for another level of government to use. Managing an interface between levels of government shouldn't really be the purpose of a census.

I don't monitor market values of properties. I can view advertised prices on the realtor website but sold prices are a big secret known only to realtors. I've no idea what work other people have done on their houses and what that costs so other house prices of of no use anyway.

I'm sure the CRA will follow you advice and accept my valuation of my house if it is ever necessary for a capital gain calculation.....
Well that's all very sarcastic and all, but you suggested you might not value your house accurately and I gave you valid reasons why you'd have a better idea than a total stranger.

And of course, CGT wouldn't be based on your valuation would it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.