Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Canadian TV, which channels are the best?

Canadian TV, which channels are the best?

Old Jan 20th 2014, 4:05 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian TV, which channels are the best?

Originally Posted by iaink
N'ah, its because traditionally (maybe not recently), its not all completely mindless lowest common denominator shite. British TV is worth its reputation for shows like blackadder and father ted alone, if nothing else,and thats to ignore some of the fabulous BBC documentary shows that are an anathema to the major US networks.
Yes, it s the difference between 99% shit and 100% shit.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 4:09 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I never really liked Father Ted. Blackadder was good though. But it is largely based on culture. Look at Japanese TV, they love the stuff, everyone else doesn't get it really.

Canadians seem to love Trailer Park Boys because it's jam packed with Canadian cultural references but most people outside Canada watching think it's crap. The one where they take Bubbles to a model railway convention in Maine was hysterical though, I thought.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 4:31 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Really the main reason why people prefer British TV is because they're from Britain to begin with and got used to their own particular variety of pointless shit.
Doesn't the long established existence of BBC America (As of August 2013, approximately 80,066,000 American households (70.11% of households with television) receive BBC America) and BBC Canada, plus the amount of Brit TV bought up by or remade by the US suggest that there just might be something to the idea that Brit TV might be just a little bit more highly regarded than US TV?
Old Jan 20th 2014, 4:33 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Doesn't the long established existence of BBC America (As of August 2013, approximately 80,066,000 American households (70.11% of households with television) receive BBC America) and BBC Canada, plus the amount of Brit TV bought up by or remade by the US suggest that there just might be something to the idea that Brit TV might be just a little bit more highly regarded than US TV?
I tend to agree. Most of the people I have spoken to, though anecdotal, appear to hold Brit TV in high regard.

Only my opinion though from asking people.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 4:34 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

No, because BBC America is a basic cable channel and BBC Canada is truly awful, even I don't subscribe to it. All that statistic proves is that 80 million households have basic cable and note, it's a declining number, which seems to imply people are happier with the OTA channels and internet options, which BBC America is not included in.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 4:37 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I assume you googled "Lake Effect Snow" before you chose to live in Bracebridge?

Yes of course! I love it! Apart from the affect on my bouncy satellite signal internet connection!
Old Jan 20th 2014, 4:38 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

No, because BBC America is a basic cable channel and BBC Canada is truly awful, even I don't subscribe to it. All that statistic proves is that 80 million households have basic cable and note, it's a declining number, which seems to imply people are happier with the OTA channels and internet options, which BBC America is not included in.
People don't watch BBC programs over the internet? Of course they do, people not watching BBC America haven't reduced their brains to mush and tuned into Canadian TV; they're just watching the BBC by other means.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

BBC Canada is truly awful,
Totally agree....I find it telling that there is no HD version which is a sign that there isn't a lot of money being poured into it. It seems to be endless re-runs of Mike Holmes shows, Location3 and old Top Gear episodes.

In the past, they had League of Gentlemen, Saxondale, Alan Partridge, the Office etc...now the actual brit content is rather low.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 4:50 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by dbd33
People don't watch BBC programs over the internet? Of course they do, people not watching BBC America haven't reduced their brains to mush and tuned into Canadian TV; they're just watching the BBC by other means.
Hard to say really, because the only way of really doing that is illegally. I can only speak for myself, I don't watch BBC Canada and I never watch the BBC over the internet either and you would think I was in the prime demographic for it. The only BBC thing I watch is BBC World News.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 5:49 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

BBC Canada might be absolute garbage. But it must be watched or there wouldn't be any point to it.

I doubt it's viewers are mainly Brits - they are finding ways of watching real TV and not out of date stuff.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 7:53 pm
I said what ?!

Animal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond repute

Overplay is fine for your Dns soltion (it's who I use) and it wont slow down your internet connection any - when you can actually get one by the sounds of it.

TV is sh1te and agree that Brit TV is in high regard here. We stream all our TV and don't have Canadian satellite/cable after recently cancelling it and still able to watch exactly what we did before.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

Jaxon is an unknown quantity at this point

TSN and Rogers Sportsnet for the sports
Old Jan 20th 2014, 11:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
So iplayer is down, we have pretty poor signal it seems when it snows, we're out of town so no cable internet. We're reliant on Canadian tv for some Saturday night entertainment.... Since I can't want The Voice with the kids (no comments needed on my viewing choices)

What can we watch?
Nothing.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 11:59 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
...and thats to ignore some of the fabulous BBC documentary shows that are an anathema to the major US networks.
But which get shown on PBS stations over here.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 1:46 am
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

PBS, OLN, TVO, OASIS HD, HIFI, CHCH, OMNI 1 &2, SUNTV