Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Canadian TV, which channels are the best?

Old Jan 18th 2014, 2:28 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian TV, which channels are the best?

Originally Posted by bats
See post 15.
Oh.
Old Jan 19th 2014, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Iplayer has been sadly down for days now. Programmes downloaded are running out!
Are you using Tunlr.net to facilitate IPlayer?

If so, they have just gone to a subscription format (although still £0.00 per month at the moment).

To continue using it, you need to register on their website, which adds your IP address to the customer database.

You don't add any payment card details - that will come soon, but it looks like they are only going to be about £1 per month anyway.
Old Jan 19th 2014, 5:07 am
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
As for the hockey comments, Rogers has bought the rights to NHL hockey, CBC will be allowed to broadcast it for four more years and then that's it.

That hasn't been worked out yet but what appears to be happening is that CBC will continue to broadcast it (HNIC being a Canadian institution and all) while Rogers maintains control of the broadcast.
Old Jan 19th 2014, 5:10 am
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Oh another weird thing about Canadian TV is that you get tax credits for making shows in Canada and even more of a tax credit in certain provinces (such as Ontario and BC) if it has "Canadian content" so as a result you have these weird shows that don't mention where they really are so they can be broadcast in the US but they mention Canadian things in them to get the tax credit.

For example, Rookie Blue and Saving Hope. We all know they're set in Toronto but they don't explicitly say it.

Rookie Blue doesn't explicitly name the city but they use real street and location names all the time.

Saving Hope does make reference to the city.
Old Jan 19th 2014, 12:28 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

This is not quite fair, UK unadulterated TV is wonderful and can be beat anything into a cocked hat...however, if you have to attack a whole bloody adventure in order to watch it...is it worth it? I can't help thinking that it depends on what you are doing and how you life pans out? I want to have big televisual adventures, but in between me being stuck (all my own fault) into a contract, and coming home and finding that I just want to turn something on for an hour of 'entertainment without thought'....there are some passable things on. I am now keeping a list of the stations I like here in this 'small bit' as there are all sorts of 'things'on. Best of luck
Old Jan 19th 2014, 1:24 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by withabix
Are you using Tunlr.net to facilitate IPlayer?

If so, they have just gone to a subscription format (although still £0.00 per month at the moment).

To continue using it, you need to register on their website, which adds your IP address to the customer database.

You don't add any payment card details - that will come soon, but it looks like they are only going to be about £1 per month anyway.
No, using Overplay I think they're called. Writing this on my phone as the whole internet has gone down, terrible snowy weather! Anyhow, the husband starts work tomorrow and they have super fast broadband wifi and they're happy for him to download to there so think we will have to have two dns subscriptions on the go for the time being!
Old Jan 19th 2014, 2:44 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Writing this on my phone as the whole internet has gone down, terrible snowy weather!
I assume you googled "Lake Effect Snow" before you chose to live in Bracebridge?
Old Jan 19th 2014, 2:46 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
UK unadulterated TV is wonderful... if you have to attack a whole bloody adventure in order to watch it...is it worth it?.
That's what I think when I see all these BEers with their fancy gadgets and collection of random Scrabble letters.

I'm just working my way through Broadchurch. I downloaded it last April. It took about 15 minutes total to do all 8 episodes.

Three or four clicks and each episode begins.
Old Jan 19th 2014, 3:58 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
They are all shit.
Pretty much my assessment after a few months. Cancelled my TV service entirely.

Now have Netflix and an online subscription that allows me to watch limitless amounts of ice hockey. Overall cost is 1/5 of previous but manages to be far superior.
Old Jan 19th 2014, 7:57 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

The Weather Network is my absolute favourite.
Old Jan 19th 2014, 9:06 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

PBS, (Vicar of Dibley, I think Dawn French is kind of hot), The Food Network, and sometimes CBC and CTV for documentaries. I don't like a lot (most!) of the prime time cop or doctor dramas clogging up the box (The Mentalist is ok). The Zap-2-It Program Guide of course, so I know what's on. If you're clever enough to know what you don't want to watch you're halfway there. I'm not watching Heartland, I'm not watching Fear Factor, I'm not watching Steven and Chris, I'm not watching American Idol, etc to name just a few.

Last edited by caretaker; Jan 19th 2014 at 9:08 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 3:30 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colchar
Saving Hope does make reference to the city.
They didn't in the first season because it was on NBC, once NBC gave up on it then they dared to mention Toronto.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 3:32 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

So basically I need to move house and get my internet speed sorted. We have to move out of this one by June, and good internet will be top of my list of priorities!
You could give up TV. Thats what weve done. Strangely we have very few regrets about the whole thing, and are meeting more and more people that have done the same thing.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 3:37 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orly
Pretty much my assessment after a few months. Cancelled my TV service entirely.

Now have Netflix and an online subscription that allows me to watch limitless amounts of ice hockey. Overall cost is 1/5 of previous but manages to be far superior.
Look frankly all TV everywhere is pointless shit, and the reason why is because life in general is pointless shit, TV is what we use to distract ourselves from that reality.

Even the news is primarily an entertainment medium, there's very little on it worth knowing, do we need to know some weirdo in town shot dead his family or some tourist got their head bashed in. Not really.

Examining the qualitative difference between say, British TV and Canadian TV is to my mind a pointless exercise to determine the difference in something that is pointless to begin with.

Really the main reason why people prefer British TV is because they're from Britain to begin with and got used to their own particular variety of pointless shit.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 3:45 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Really the main reason why people prefer British TV is because they're from Britain to begin with and got used to their own particular variety of pointless shit.
N'ah, its because traditionally (maybe not recently), its not all completely mindless lowest common denominator shite. British TV is worth its reputation for shows like blackadder and father ted alone, if nothing else,and thats to ignore some of the fabulous BBC documentary shows that are an anathema to the major US networks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.