Canada & Kyoto

Old Dec 16th 2011, 1:31 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada & Kyoto

Originally Posted by iaink
You are aware that hes a comedian, not an environmental scientist, right?
Having a funny Einstein avatar hardly makes him a comedian.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 1:47 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Old Dec 16th 2011, 3:31 am
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Carlin's point was that we are more caught up with the Earth serving our needs and how changes to the Earth (coastline, weather patterns) will affect humans and our lifestyle and habitat rather than about the health of the actual planet. The Earth doesn't care about coastline or where it rains, people do. The planet will rejuvenate at it's leisure if we all died of tommorrow or in 100 years.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 3:45 am
Forum Regular

laser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lord Vader
Carlin's point was that we are more caught up with the Earth serving our needs and how changes to the Earth (coastline, weather patterns) will affect humans and our lifestyle and habitat rather than about the health of the actual planet. The Earth doesn't care about coastline or where it rains, people do. The planet will rejuvenate at it's leisure if we all died of tommorrow or in 100 years.
Yes and very succinctly put. I have already admitted that I am ignorant and not a scientist but I am aware that looking after what we have and re-using where we can is important not only to the economy but the environment. If we really want to "help" the planet then perhaps we should stop all manufacturing, we should stop using the computers we are using, or living in the houses that we build or eat the processed food we eat or stop driving the cars we drive...oh the list goes on and would it ever be possible in this day and age. I mean, we couldn't even go back 50 years without complaint so to go back a few hundred thousand is probably going to be impossible.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 3:52 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Actually he's a comedic legend in his own mind and in his own home.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 4:06 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
Actually he's a comedic legend in his own mind and in his own home.
Oooh, my ribs! No, stop it! I'm gonna wet myself!!
Old Dec 16th 2011, 4:07 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Vader
Carlin's point was that we are more caught up with the Earth serving our needs and how changes to the Earth (coastline, weather patterns) will affect humans and our lifestyle and habitat rather than about the health of the actual planet. The Earth doesn't care about coastline or where it rains, people do.
I'm not sure what your point is here. Is this a criticism of somebodies point of view?

When people talk about the planets health they are using a metaphor. Nobody in their right mind gives a shit about a bunch of rocks in and of themselves - of course we're only going to care about them in so far as their ability to support us.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 4:41 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by laser558
Yes and very succinctly put. I have already admitted that I am ignorant and not a scientist but I am aware that looking after what we have and re-using where we can is important not only to the economy but the environment. If we really want to "help" the planet then perhaps we should stop all manufacturing, we should stop using the computers we are using, or living in the houses that we build or eat the processed food we eat or stop driving the cars we drive...oh the list goes on and would it ever be possible in this day and age. I mean, we couldn't even go back 50 years without complaint so to go back a few hundred thousand is probably going to be impossible.
Or we could just do what we know now would work, there is no need to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Put financial incentives in place to discourage emmisions, use the available technology to generate emmision free power generation, etc etc etc. Where weath redistribution comes into it is with how to treat the emerging/ developing world, who are not financially able to do the above things.

Everyone knows what needs to be done, but no one wants to be the one to do it, and once someone pulls out of the agreement (ie Canada), the rest will fall like dominoes for fear of being at an economic disadvantage compared to those who shirk their responsibilities.

Last edited by iaink; Dec 16th 2011 at 7:19 am.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 4:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Or we could just do what we know now would work, there is no need to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Put financial incentives in place to encourage discourage emmisions, use the available technology to generate emmision free power generation, etc etc etc. Where weath redistribution comes into it is with how to treat the emerging/ developing world, who are not financially able to do the above things.

Everyone knows what needs to be done, but no one wants to be the one to do it, and once someone pulls out of the agreement (ie Canada), the rest will fall like dominoes for fear of being at an economic disadvantage compared to those who shirk their responsibilities.
What is your solution to that problem then? Leave them in squalor or tax them the same as the rest of the world?

Who administers the tax and how is it used? Seems like another way for the developed world to benefit at the expense of the non-developed one. I am sure that Mr. Gore and Mr. Suzuki would love to get their mucky mitts on such funding.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 5:19 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
What is your solution to that problem then? Leave them in squalor or tax them the same as the rest of the world?

Who administers the tax and how is it used? Seems like another way for the developed world to benefit at the expense of the non-developed one. I am sure that Mr. Gore and Mr. Suzuki would love to get their mucky mitts on such funding.
I dont have a solution, not my job guvnor

Off the top of my head, some sort of international slush fund with the wealthy countries that have far more to lose in the long term chipping in to get the poorer countries up to speed seems workable, a bit like the IMF, but clearly that will never fly with those with less liberal views.

There is so much money in the global economy that diverting say 5% of it for say 20 years * would have some short term pain, but much long term gain. God, just look at what developed nations spend on the military, just a fraction of that alone would make a difference, and do more for long term global stability than any number of aircraft carriers or steath aircraft.

* Numbers plucked from air for sake of argument.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 5:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Might I suggest that the posters who are really passionate about this subject try to arrange a sit down and discuss this matter perhaps a Timmies
Old Dec 16th 2011, 5:41 am
Forum Regular

laser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Might I suggest that the posters who are really passionate about this subject try to arrange a sit down and discuss this matter perhaps a Timmies
I have a feeling this would take more than one!
Old Dec 16th 2011, 5:50 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

You are aware that hes a comedian, not an environmental scientist, right?
Just to clarify, he's a comedian and not an internationally renowned and much-published professor of atmospheric chemistry. Absolutely not.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 6:02 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I dont have a solution, not my job guvnor
The solution involves legislation, taxes and the free market. No need to get all communist and totalitarian about it.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 6:07 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Alan2005
The solution involves legislation, taxes and the free market. No need to get all communist and totalitarian about it.
Cos the free market has worked so well so far right? That a bit like putting the fox in charge of the chicken coop if you ask me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.