Wikiposts

Canada & Kyoto

Old Dec 16th 2011, 10:02 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada & Kyoto

Originally Posted by laser558
As I say, I am not qualified to comment and maybe neither is George Carlin but I find his stance quite interesting. The fact, for example, that the world has been around for a lot longer than us and although we might have been on the world for the past 200,000 years, we have only been involved in heavy industry for the past 200 or so and is it therefore possible for man-made damage to have been done in these last 200 years. My uneducated opinion is that the earth is cyclical and constantly warms and cools and perhaps too much weight has been put on man-made global warming and not enough on the natural course of events. I feel that this might have been influenced politically, if that is the case, it is wrong. Now, at the same time, as an individual, I am all for re-cycling and re-using where possible and the idea of re-usable energy resources is very appealing but this is not because I am necessarily and advocate to the idea of man-made global warming, I simply think it is a good thing to do. For all I know, you might be a qualified scientist and can counter everything I say with some scientific fact but I just find it odd that for millions of years, the earth has been spewing so much into the atmosphere through volcanoes and fires (I mean, let's face it, people have been making fires for cooking and heating nearly as long as they have lived on the planet), that to say we might have permanently damaged the world through thoughtless industry simply over the past 200 years, just doesn't ring true to me. But then, I am so very humble.
Sorry for the late response, but I've been slaving over a hot optical table all day fixing one of these. http://www.crystalaser.com/CL555-561.pdf
Old Dec 16th 2011, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

laser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Sorry for the late response, but I've been slaving over a hot optical table all day fixing one of these. http://www.crystalaser.com/CL555-561.pdf
Oh lawks!
Old Dec 16th 2011, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Does this mean we can't have new ones or amend the ones we have.

Yes, it's impossible to get all countries to agree and there is no point even trying. Countries can only really act unilaterally. Will they? Of course not while the populace wants $20 dvd players - but that's the only possible way of achieving anything short of some kind of totalitarian world government.
Agree with this. However, suspect we need to start thinking about this global meltdown in the way some others have been proposing in relation to the financial one. Bottom line is, for both to be prevented some form of multilateral agreement involving regulatory powers and green taxes (and penalties - Canada should be charged to **** for missing Kyoto by 30%!) are going to be needed. Otherwise, countries like Canada will continue to act in self interest on economic grounds rather for the benefit of the ROW. Similarly, and in terms of trade, countries should be rewarded for positive moves on footprint, for example building carbon collect and storage facilities rather power stations (as China is doing at a frightening rate).
Old Dec 17th 2011, 1:08 am
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London Mike
Agree with this. However, suspect we need to start thinking about this global meltdown in the way some others have been proposing in relation to the financial one. Bottom line is, for both to be prevented some form of multilateral agreement involving regulatory powers and green taxes (and penalties - Canada should be charged to **** for missing Kyoto by 30%!) are going to be needed. Otherwise, countries like Canada will continue to act in self interest on economic grounds rather for the benefit of the ROW. Similarly, and in terms of trade, countries should be rewarded for positive moves on footprint, for example building carbon collect and storage facilities rather power stations (as China is doing at a frightening rate).
So who gets all this money in your proposal? Who decides what is done with it? Isn't this just the financing arm for a one world government? make up a bunch of laws are start fining nations? Christ, the EU can't even get it's crap together. You proposal would likely lead to another world war.
Old Dec 17th 2011, 2:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

To Alan2005
Im being serious in this thread. I note you are interested in this thread and I am asking did you read over the link I posted in #35 of this thread.
You have mentioned legislation several times I wonder what your comments on that link are from Canadas perspective????

It also might surprise you that CBSA officers do their little part in trying to enforce some of these laws specifically at Marine ports where literally hundreds of containers a day containing hazardous materials are being shipped to countries who have less than stellar ideas in dealing with such waste.
Old Dec 17th 2011, 3:18 am
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Vader
So who gets all this money in your proposal? Who decides what is done with it? Isn't this just the financing arm for a one world government? make up a bunch of laws are start fining nations? Christ, the EU can't even get it's crap together. You proposal would likely lead to another world war.
Don't be ridiculous. In the same way as the Gates financial transaction tax (which I support), I think there should be some form of tax on trade regarding products with high carbon footprint. Oil, gas etc. Yes, many nations affected but if the IMF get the dish then countries making positive steps forward can/should get tax credits form the IMF.

We're all in this together. The world has to be creative here.
Old Dec 17th 2011, 4:00 am
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London Mike
Don't be ridiculous. In the same way as the Gates financial transaction tax (which I support), I think there should be some form of tax on trade regarding products with high carbon footprint. Oil, gas etc. Yes, many nations affected but if the IMF get the dish then countries making positive steps forward can/should get tax credits form the IMF.

We're all in this together. The world has to be creative here.
I agree with the part about being creative, which to me involves technologies, not a tax scheme that will serve no purpose in actual c02 reduction, it will simply spread it around.
Old Dec 17th 2011, 5:14 am

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the part about being creative, which to me involves technologies, not a tax scheme that will serve no purpose in actual c02 reduction, it will simply spread it around.
As someone involved in finance of one company (no longer a PLC but approx size would be the equiv of a FTSE 250) I can confirm that it does changes Co. behaviour somewhat.
It is seen as a waste cost therefore incentivises efficiencies or even in our case, investment for renewable energy to self power to as much as poss.
The tax is a financial stick, which is often the critical factor in the assessment of payback.

There is also a carrot too - for investments we have to borrow money.
There are investment banks that gives a better rate, but like to see the environmental credentials & qualifying projects

Last edited by Bali2010; Dec 17th 2011 at 5:59 am. Reason: carrot
Old Dec 17th 2011, 6:27 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
To Alan2005
Im being serious in this thread. I note you are interested in this thread and I am asking did you read over the link I posted in #35 of this thread.
You have mentioned legislation several times I wonder what your comments on that link are from Canadas perspective????

It also might surprise you that CBSA officers do their little part in trying to enforce some of these laws specifically at Marine ports where literally hundreds of containers a day containing hazardous materials are being shipped to countries who have less than stellar ideas in dealing with such waste.
I am actually surprised that this gets stopped. Especially if it's so-called 'e-waste', like last years iphone, or laptop.

Anyway - the way I see it is that a Canadian company making widgets in Canada isn't generally allowed to dump the by-products of its widget making into the local river and they also have to abide by labour laws to prevent dangerous working conditions etc. These things mean that it's more expensive to make widgets in Canada than in other places with more lax legal requirements and therefore a company that sets up a factory in China can undercut anything produced here even before wage differentials are taken into account.

If I was in charge, to address this I would impose legislation such that this differential was removed by taxation (i.e. duties) - and yes it would be you guys enforcing this. On the other hand, companies that could demonstrate that their working practices met Canadian standards would have no such taxes and as such many would have an incentive to clean up their act. There is a model for this kind of standard already with organic food so it wouldn't be impossible to implement.

Canada is a relatively small player in international trade - but if the US or the EU had this kind of legislation the impact would be significant. It would also help their economies generally - although DVD players wouldn't be $20 any more and that's very important to a lot of people.
Old Dec 28th 2011, 9:32 am
BE Troll

Yeah, lets scrap the oil sands and start shipping more of it in to North America from Saudi Arabia who today decapitated a women for practicing witch craft, or maybe comrade Chavez in Venezuela, or perhaps we can make arrangements with the enlightened government of Iran, or perhaps some of the prince's of the Arabian peninsula, or maybe the Nigerians and Angolans will be kind enough. Or maybe we can build an underwater pipeline from Russia, similar to the land based natural gas pipelines from Russia to Europe, or maybe the Brits and Norwegians will send us some from the north sea, I hear that deep water drilling is a nice, clean, environmentally safe way to extract oil, BP seems to think so. Whatever the result, we should not be producing it ourselves cause it is dirty and unethical and will destroy the planet.
ol nutface right on que.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2...uz-strait.html
Old Dec 29th 2011, 5:03 am
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

At some point the Nobel Peace Prize winner will have to decide whether to sort out the Iranian "problem". Time is probably running out before Israel does so anyway. Now doubt there will be an "incident" requiring a "response".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...of-Hormuz.html

I see comrade Chavez is now suggesting that the US is eliminating the leaders of the south american countries by somehow causing them all to develop cancer.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011...us-cancer-plot

Last edited by jimf; Dec 29th 2011 at 5:09 am.