Canada & Kyoto

Old Dec 14th 2011, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

scribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Canada & Kyoto

I'm putting myself on the fence here, but I will throw this in for fun:

I have no evidence to back this up, but I heard the soundbite on the news awhile back:

The Icelandic Volcano that went pop the other year grounding flights for a while threw more environmentally damaging crap and nasties into the air than humans could manage in many decades (if not longer - can't remember).

If you're worrying about fossil fuels running out then our consumption has to be managed, but if you're worrying about environmental damage, is there anything we can do that really makes a difference when mother nature's actions are added to the equation?

Enjoy.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 8:49 am

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisparr

I have no evidence to back this up, but I heard the soundbite on the news awhile back:

The Icelandic Volcano that went pop the other year grounding flights for a while threw more environmentally damaging crap and nasties into the air than humans could manage in many decades (if not longer - can't remember).

If you're worrying about fossil fuels running out then our consumption has to be managed, but if you're worrying about environmental damage, is there anything we can do that really makes a difference when mother nature's actions are added to the equation?

Enjoy.
whether it is true or not, using natural events as an excuse to do nothing is a childlike rationale

in planning there are things we cannot control - like volcanos, therefore for the plans must take those into account and ensure the things that can be controlled accomodate the background level of natural events (good or bad).
you can be sure the models take into account natural carbon sinks (sea, moors etc).

Last edited by Bali2010; Dec 14th 2011 at 8:49 am. Reason: rogue smilie
Old Dec 14th 2011, 12:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisparr

Enjoy.
Careful, making observations such as this will have you labelled as a frothing loon or something similar by the "clever ones" on this site.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 12:57 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Careful, making observations such as this will have you labelled as a frothing loon or something similar by the "clever ones" on this site.

Don't you mean "Self proclaimed clever ones"?
Old Dec 14th 2011, 1:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Well I consider myself to be just the average Joe so what would I know about this subject?
Just reading these 2 and a half pages and probably more to follow I wonder if all this talk is just a futile effort to appear to say to the masses we are concerned and we will try to work something out but in the end little or nothing gets done.
We can talk about reducing this and that, banning this and that etc etc but in the end is it all talk?
Whats the point of implementing this that or the other when this happens

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/st...er-report.html

As from Canadas perspective can we alone change thing or does it have to be every country willing to change with no exceptions.
We have been yakking about this for 15 years under both a Liberal or PC regime and yet what have they achieved?
Should we vote in the NDP or Green Party (sorry Bloc supporters you dont count as you only run in Quebec) to see if they can change things.

Talk is cheap, but positive and achievable plans are priceless.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 1:32 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Talk is cheap, but positive and achievable plans are priceless.
Ah .....Cliche'

"Kinda like put your money where your gob is"

" walk the walk, and talk the talk"

et al
Old Dec 14th 2011, 1:36 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
So, in a nutshell, Canadian residents are (on average) stupid?
I wouldnt say that. Poorly served by self interested politicians, undereducated with respect to the effect climate change will have on future generations perhaps. They just seem to have different priorities.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 2:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

scribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Me? Frothing Loon?

Only on Wednesdays
Old Dec 14th 2011, 2:10 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

There is a good opinion column, by Duane Brett, in today's Calgary Herald.
Unfortunately, I am unable to link it to the thread. It is worth a read if you have the time to search it out.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 2:28 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
There is a good opinion column, by Duane Brett, in today's Calgary Herald.
<stunned>

He's called Bratt and, once again, there's a picture. The picture suggests that he's been responsible for more food miles than the population of China.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/opinion...757/story.html

Last edited by dbd33; Dec 14th 2011 at 2:32 pm.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 2:43 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

The Bratt piece is bold in its dishonesty. He is:

"is chair and associate professor in the department of policy studies at Mount Royal University."

He clucks:

"Unfortunately, while there has been plenty of public debate on global warming in Canada and in other countries, much of that discussion has focused on political-economic dimensions instead of scientific basis. The debaters tended to be political scientists, economists, or industry and environmental spokespeople."

apparently disqualifying himself from further comment.

Nonetheless he ploughs on:

"None of the above situations constitute a scientific debate on anthropogenic global warming. Although real climate scientists debate global warming, it has usually been done at closed academic conferences and venues that excluded the public. Public debates by climate scientists were rare."

Plainly untrue. Anyone can buy a copy of Nature.

Instead of all this fussy academic debate he suggests we consult the Frontier Centre for Public Policy. Well, knock me down with a feather, that's an oil industry advocacy group!

Aint they got no ethics at Mount Royal University?
Old Dec 14th 2011, 3:00 pm
Living in the Truman Show

gillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bali2010
Well I suppose it says something about the new world order that India & China are getting the moral highground

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...climate-treaty
just to lighten the mood a little - forget Kyoto it's the gay penguins in Toronto Zoo that I feel sorry for - just what is this country doing to itself!!!!
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...ol?INTCMP=SRCH
Old Dec 14th 2011, 3:40 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

There are a number of things I've seen happen over the years. Initially after some scientists stated that climate change was happening, they were labelled as crazy hippies by those with an interest in keeping things the way they are. When the scientific evidence mounted up in favour of climate change existing, then the debate shifted from 'scientific facts' to speculation such as 'is it man-made?' or the outright skullduggery of 'discredit the messenger'

Also, those promoting climage change as real and man-made are primarily scientists and environmentalists; whilst those with the opposing views are politicians, special interest groups, and the kind of broscientists that frequent internet forums (it was the volcano that did it guvnor!). Who do you trust more?

Which leads me onto speculating about volcanoes. This is all very well, but really it's just that - speculation. The only way to prove or disprove this hypothesis is research, and this is something that many people don't want carried out because they don't think they'll like the answers they get.

(but really, there's no point having this debate because people with lots of money want to keep things as they are and people accept this because they are conditioned into thinking tomorrow will be the same as today. It's the same reason we had the financial crisis - those predicting it were seen as nuts at the time by the mainstream)
Old Dec 14th 2011, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I really don't know as much as I should about this issue so I am happy to be educated.

In finance we are warned not to be influenced by sunk costs. We need to complete a project and have two options X and Y. Option X will cost $100m to complete and option Y $75m. It is irrelevant that we have already spent $200m developing option X from concept to ready to build. That money is gone. We have to look forward from today. Option Y is the best value and is to be preferred.

I heard an interview with the South African High Commissioner in Ottawa. She made two arguments:

* That Canada was part of the developed West and should pay a penance for pollution to date.

* That all non-western countries have a right to develop rich economies like the West and anything that would hinder this (such as controls on pollution that the West historically did not have) is immoral.

In isolation these both seem to be supportable concepts. However, I understand the problem is that too much CO2 is being put into the atmosphere and the only way to slow down global warming is to slow down the rate of increase in CO2 emissions then reverse it.

I don't see how either of these propositions brings us nearer to a solution.
There is no solution other than everyone agreeing to live a pre industrial revolution lifestyle which clearly won't happen. Whatever preparations can be made at reasonable cost to deal with the consequences of any increasing temperature are worth making. Reducing dependancy on fossil fuels to minimise the increasing leverage that suppliers will have over purchasers in the future is also worth doing. However is there any point in closing down western industry only for the same industry to expand in India, China etc - I doubt that.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Climate change good for farmers in Britain. Oh hang on maybe the Met Office is funded by Exxon?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/env...et-Office.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.