Calling Mr Lee...

Old Jul 6th 2008, 10:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

High numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calling Mr Lee...

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Yep, it's on the back of the receipt - I checked another one, I've never looked there before either. It's not on the back of my Mark's Work Wearhouse receipt though and obviously they have the same policy.

But it seems I've got no complaint, the smarmy twits can insist on it, it's my tough luck. I'm not a big customer there anyway but I won't buy from them again. I'm still amazed that a phone number isn't considered personal data (ex-directory so patients can't bother Mr B at home) and can be stored for spurious reasons like that. But now we all know

Funny that none of us willingly give them our real number though... is that a sceptical Brit thing or are Canadians giving them made-up ones too? If so, in what way does it stop fraud?
I just don't see the need for it. What do they use it for marketing and telesales so you end up with calls about double glazing etc. No thanks

When we were in the US they asked us for zip code and phone number and that confused them when I said not only are we from out of state but out of country!! Goodness knows what they put in the computer then.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 11:42 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Umm , I think for our next lunch date , some explanantion as to how and why you came across this number is in order!!!

Originally Posted by Rob4BC
You need the Rejection Hotline

Local numbers for Canada:

403-775-9982 Calgary
780-669-5270 Edmonton
905-963-0318 Hamilton
519-488-2355 London
514-667-0361 Montreal
613-686-3620 Ottawa
647-476-4910 Toronto
778-786-8557 Vancouver
250-984-0686 Victoria
204-272-3976 Winnipeg

Rob.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 11:54 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
If so, in what way does it stop fraud?

below is quoted from the link provide by your knowledgeable Brit.

The Retail Council of Canada (RCC) provided our Office with information regarding the collection of customers’ personal information in order to obtain a refund. According to the RCC, such information is necessary to combat theft and fraud. The RCC provided us with examples of how such a purpose is met. These are:
  • Reduction of theft by employees. Employees can no longer claim that an item had been returned for refund by an unknown person. Information about the customer is now available so stores can verify the return.
  • Identification of multiple returns made by the same person or by persons who have different names but are connected with the same address or telephone number.
  • Identification of buying patterns. For example, people may buy an item and then use half of it. They then return the unused portion and claim the item is defective or was not full upon purchase.
  • Reduction of “receipt theft.” This is the theft of items listed on receipts that people find outside a store or in a mall.
Not everyone is a honest and upstanding a person as you or I.

I'm not going to try to defend the practice because I don't necessarily agree with it, but that being said I have never received a phone call from any company that I have provided my phone number in order to return an item.

I think this whole thread is much ado about nothing.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 1:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I have no idea where all my junk phonecalls originate from. I can track my junk emails as I use <[email protected]> (not really that!) and you've be surprised at which "reputable" companies have flogged my details/had my data stolen from them.

It was all about the phone number, I was never asked for name and address - perhaps I would have been if the conversation had got past phone number, I don't know. I was saying to the person who gave me the excellent link that if they'd wanted to look at my ID, I'd have shown it. And of course I'd have handed over the card I paid with as added proof of who I was. It was the fact that a phone number that is not available publicly was going to be stored on a computer indefinitely under conditions I know nothing about that riled me.

I also still fail to see how giving a telephone number stops fraudulent returns, which is CT's claim. Do fraudsters give only their real home number? Tel. numbers don't appear on driving licenses so what could really be checked by CT's policy? Our number isn't listed, it can't be verified under reverse look-up - so what's the benefit? I paid by Visa - where is the potential for fraud when no funds change hands and the money is simply credited back to my Visa card? I see a potential problem with debit, but I don't know how a telephone number stops it - not sure why debit is refunded as cash in Canada anyway, it's inconvenient and unwelcome, why can't it be credited back to my account as in other countries?

Maybe it's a British thing, if this thread is representative we're all dodging the phone number except Steve I just won't hand out my number for no good reason, and I don't see that their reason is anywhere near good enough. Still, I know the fix - no more CT shopping, simple
Old Jul 7th 2008, 3:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
Umm , I think for our next lunch date , some explanantion as to how and why you came across this number is in order!!!
Sure, call me to make a date - my number is 647-476-4910
Old Jul 7th 2008, 4:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

You need the Rejection Hotline

Local numbers for Canada:

403-775-9982 Calgary
780-669-5270 Edmonton
905-963-0318 Hamilton
519-488-2355 London
514-667-0361 Montreal
613-686-3620 Ottawa
647-476-4910 Toronto
778-786-8557 Vancouver
250-984-0686 Victoria
204-272-3976 Winnipeg

Rob.
Hi Rob,
Thanks, that was brilliant !!
Yoong
Old Jul 7th 2008, 12:09 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

<cries>

Sure, call me to make a date - my number is 647-476-4910
Old Jul 7th 2008, 1:35 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

When I still lived in the UK I had need to use a website operated by Canada's Department of Foreign Affairs & International Trade (DFAIT). Access to the site required registration and you had to be in Canada to register. It required address, telephone number...

I registered using the address of the Lester B. Pearson building (DFAIT HQ in Ottawa) and the phone number of its front desk.

The system didn't notice.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 2:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond repute

Hey there Biiiiink!

Glad to hear I now have a cohort in my fight against the evil that is crappy tire! There are loads of complaints on the net about them asking for people's addresses and phone numbers when making returns and the legality of it. I know this because when I had my run in with them, I looked for similar complaints before letting go with my rant.

To be fair (and this is by no means a defence for the b*st*rds), I work in retail and we have to ask for customer's phone numbers when they make a return, for audit purposes only. If someone refused to give me theirs though, I certainly wouldn't refuse to give them a refund because I believe it's not good customer service.

Sadly, crappy tire's customer service is practically non-existent.

And people still shop there.
Pssscheww!
Old Jul 15th 2008, 7:28 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

Legally I doubt that conditions of contract put on the back of a receipt that you only receive at the conclusion of the transaction (you have paid already) would hold up in Court.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 8:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MB-Realtor
Legally I doubt that conditions of contract put on the back of a receipt that you only receive at the conclusion of the transaction (you have paid already) would hold up in Court.
I'm sure they must also have these terms on display in the store... I'm not going back to find out though Maybe a CT shopper can confirm?

I wrote a letter, no reply as yet (I didn't give my number for the manager to call me ).