Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

calgary vs vancouver? help!

calgary vs vancouver? help!

Old Apr 8th 2009, 11:08 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: calgary vs vancouver? help!

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Hang on Steve, Vancouver is so liberal and laid back stylee that they're going to 'deport' all the homeless in time for 2010 arent they? VERY liberal and not at all right wing up-tight if you ask me.
Never mind Butch I give up.

For quite some time I considered myself one of the more laid back individuals on the forum, but I'm sick and god-damned tired of hearing from people who don't have a f'in clue about Calgary or Alberta how rednecked, ignorant, anti gay, anti the rest of Canada we all are.

I'm done with this thread.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 3:21 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Budgie1
I'll throw my 2 cents in though I must warn you I'm from Australia, not the UK so mileage may vary!

I immigrated to Canada in June of 07 and spent the first year in Vancouver before moving to Calgary 10 months or so ago so I can give my impressions.

Weather:

Vancouver is glorious during summer and green year round, very mild winters and not much snow but lots and lots rain and drizzle in general. Being from Australia the rain got to me after a while.

Calgary has much more sun, I really noticed the 'big sky' all the tourist ads talk about after spending a year in Vancouver. Winters are cold and long but not 'scary' cold - even for an Aussie! I've found the cold to be no issue at all and I was actually a little concerned moving here. Just make certain you get some good snow tires and down coat and all should be well.

Traffic and Infrastructure:

Vancouver is miles behind Calgary here, you can really tell Alberta had a recent oil boom, the road system here is great by comparison to Vancouver which always seems congested no matter what time of day or night you travel.

People:

Same both places pretty much though you will probably find more 'locals' in Vancouver versus more immigrants in Calgary.

Economy:

Vancouver seemed a bit limited in terms of really good business base, Calgary is better but is pretty much a 2 trick pony with construction and Oil/Gas driving things and so tends to be very boom bust - bust it is currently of course!

Cost of Living:

Vancouver's housing is just astronomical, if we had stayed we probably would have tried to find a place in Coquitlam to buy as we liked that area. Currently renting in the SW of Calgary and while renting doesn't seem 'that' cheaper then Vancouver it is waaaaaay cheaper to buy in Calgary than it is in Van.

Otherwise cost of living is cheaper in Calgary as there is no provincial sales tax or healthcare premiums.

Stuff to do:

Pretty much the same unless you are keen sailor, both have plenty of skiing and mountains close by - though I think the Rockies do win over the whilstler area.

Personal Conclusion:

Very pleased I made the move to Calgary, used to feel very 'hedged in' in Van between the low cloud dreary weather and traffic jams, by comparison I feel much more free here in Calgary and definately enjoying the lower cost of living. I can see making a future for myself here much easier than I could in Vancouver, but that said I'll be sure to go to Vancouver for frequent summer holidays!
Agree with much of what you say. Vancouver love the summer hate the winter. OZ question for you - my OH's friend is in Melbourne, and she was saying that it is often as gloomy as Vancouver. Can this be right??? I checked on line and Melbourne has more or less the same amount of annual sunshine as Vancouver.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

The two cities are completely different. They look different, they feel different, they offer different climates, different landscapes, and different lifestyles. You definitely have to visit before making a decision because no matter how many recommendations we make, you'll only know once visiting what's truly right for you.

Calgary is without a doubt the corporate headquarters city of western Canada. It's why Calgary has been growing - it has jobs because of its booming oil industry and Calgary is home to all the oil company's headquarters. It is, however, a boom-bust economy.

The reason why Calgary's road infrastructure is superior to practically anywhere else in Canada is, again, because of the oil industry that thrives there. Calgary has been built as a car-dependent city, hence the suburban sprawling nature of the residential communities that expand for miles around it.

Vancouver is the opposite - it's where Greenpeace was founded. It's where Adbusters was founded. It's not a corporate city, it's a counter culture city. It's surprisingly anti-corporate. It's anti-car. It's trying to encourage environmentalism and sustainability - the city encourages high density residential neighbourhoods and discourages the use of the car by increasing public transit.

So Vancouver's super expensive because it's like a resort city - people move there, not because of the jobs, but because of the outdoor lifestyle if offers. And it's a lifestyle that can be offered year round. It's truly the only city in Canada where lifestyle trumps career, typically.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 4:14 am
Forum Regular

Budgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really nice

Hi dboy - I'm afraid I'm no expert when it comes to Melbourne as I've never lived there. It is renowned for having very volatile weather in ie hot to cold, sunny to rain all in a few hours.

I would have to bow to your statistics for want of actual experience.

In terms of culture using 'really' broad brushtrokes you could probably compare Melbourne to Vancouver (known as artsy type areas), Perth to Calgary (Commodity Driven) and Sydney to Toronto (big business).

Last edited by Budgie1; Apr 9th 2009 at 4:19 am.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 1:37 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Budgie1
Hi dboy - I'm afraid I'm no expert when it comes to Melbourne as I've never lived there. It is renowned for having very volatile weather in ie hot to cold, sunny to rain all in a few hours.

I would have to bow to your statistics for want of actual experience.

In terms of culture using 'really' broad brushtrokes you could probably compare Melbourne to Vancouver (known as artsy type areas), Perth to Calgary (Commodity Driven) and Sydney to Toronto (big business).
I was of the mistaken belief it was always sunny there. I've always fancied the place - but have only 10 years to police pension - so will be staying put.

Cheers - guess i should be on the OZ thread.
Old Apr 12th 2009, 1:10 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lychee
The two cities are completely different. They look different, they feel different, they offer different climates, different landscapes, and different lifestyles. You definitely have to visit before making a decision because no matter how many recommendations we make, you'll only know once visiting what's truly right for you.

Calgary is without a doubt the corporate headquarters city of western Canada. It's why Calgary has been growing - it has jobs because of its booming oil industry and Calgary is home to all the oil company's headquarters. It is, however, a boom-bust economy.

The reason why Calgary's road infrastructure is superior to practically anywhere else in Canada is, again, because of the oil industry that thrives there. Calgary has been built as a car-dependent city, hence the suburban sprawling nature of the residential communities that expand for miles around it.

Vancouver is the opposite - it's where Greenpeace was founded. It's where Adbusters was founded. It's not a corporate city, it's a counter culture city. It's surprisingly anti-corporate. It's anti-car. It's trying to encourage environmentalism and sustainability - the city encourages high density residential neighbourhoods and discourages the use of the car by increasing public transit.

So Vancouver's super expensive because it's like a resort city - people move there, not because of the jobs, but because of the outdoor lifestyle if offers. And it's a lifestyle that can be offered year round. It's truly the only city in Canada where lifestyle trumps career, typically.
Isn't Vancouver regarded us the Silicon Valley/ Te4chnology Hub of Canada???

Correct me if I am wrong please.... it was something a Canadian told me. Only I am looking at Vancouver for digital marketing sales jobs???
Old Apr 12th 2009, 4:45 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by James Martindale

Correct me if I am wrong please.... it was something a Canadian told me. Only I am looking at Vancouver for digital marketing sales jobs???
I think the Ottawa area is usually thought of as the center of the high tech industry.

Vancouver does have some areas of expertize. Bio-tech is quite strong, and there is a niche gaming industry. Simply Accounting was based in Richmond, but now this is owned by Sage so I don't know if this will change.
Old Apr 12th 2009, 4:49 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hollyanne
Hi

My husband has just been offered a job and has been given a choice of location Calgary or Vancouver.

I would be interested to hear peoples comments on living in Calgary or Vancouver and good places to bring up children around these areas,we dont want to be in the hub of things but not too far away either.

Any ideas?

Holly
If you like what Vancouver has to offer, it offers it very generously, and you will be very happy living here.

As you can tell from this forum, not everybody likes Vancouver (and some of them have even been here).

So the solution is quite easy. Come and visit Vancouver. If you fall in love with it then stay. If not, go to Calgary.
Old Apr 12th 2009, 7:45 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lychee

It's also the city where the documentary "The Corporation" about corporate sociopathy was made.

Good post. And I suspect people move here because they're looking for something more counter-culture, too - they're attracted to that aspect of Van. I LOVE it in Van and would be absolutely miserable in Calgary, but some people like that sprawling suburbs/highways/4x4/corporate thing.

I can vouch for Melbourne's weather being volatile. "Four seasons in one day" was the joke. It could be 36 degrees one day and 20 the next.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Apr 12th 2009 at 7:52 am.
Old Apr 12th 2009, 7:53 am

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Using your logic ('I heard it from people that left and people that dont want to be there')

NZ is a nation of facist wife beating sheep shaggers. Am I right?
Fairly.
Old Apr 12th 2009, 7:56 am

Hang on Steve, Vancouver is so liberal and laid back stylee that they're going to 'deport' all the homeless in time for 2010 arent they? VERY liberal and not at all right wing up-tight if you ask me.
really? I still see lots of homeless 'round here and no one has been deported anywhere???

Come on, now, guys...have some BC bud...it'll chill you out.
Old Apr 13th 2009, 4:13 am
Forum Regular

kiz85 is just really nicekiz85 is just really nicekiz85 is just really nicekiz85 is just really nicekiz85 is just really nicekiz85 is just really nicekiz85 is just really nicekiz85 is just really nice
Smile Re: calgary vs vancouver? help!

Originally Posted by Oink
The main reason I'll go home is that my family is there and I'd want my kids to grow up near them.

Thats what my parents did and they regret it every day! they lived in Canada (calgary) for 13 years but when they had me 11 years into their move my mum wanted me to know my grandparents better! But at least by me being born in calgary I have dual citizenship and hold both british and canadian passports and i am moving back to calgary in may and my parents plan to follow me in a few years once they have retired
Old Apr 13th 2009, 4:20 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by James Martindale
No.
Old Apr 13th 2009, 4:24 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
It's also the city where the documentary "The Corporation" about corporate sociopathy was made.
It's not a documentary though, it's just polemic and it's very poorly produced which is surprising because other Vancouver productions, such as the X Files, have been quite well made.

I find your posts put me off Vancouver, you make it sound like Boulder or Telluride, a place for trustafarians. Surely not everyone in Vancouver has a rich daddy somewhere else.
Old Apr 13th 2009, 4:25 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiz85
i am moving back to calgary in may and my parents plan to follow me in a few years once they have retired
Did they have the foresight to get citizenship before they left, or are you planning to sponsor them?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.