Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

calgary vs vancouver? help!

calgary vs vancouver? help!

Old Apr 7th 2009, 5:23 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: calgary vs vancouver? help!

Originally Posted by leepee
But, one thing I do think I would really miss is the Alberta blue sky and sunshine...even at -30 million it is bright!!!

As I say you really need to experience both even for a little while....
What she said ^^^^

The highlighted above was/is only one of the major reasons Mrs_P (born and raised in Edmonton) refused to move to Vancouver Island a number of years ago when I had the bug to move there.

We did a number of spring trips to stay for a month (March) and I was convinced that I couldn't live there, and from what I understand Vancouver is worse.

West coast summers on the other hand are usually spectacular.

Some have a problem with the local weather some don't, this applies anywhere in Canada.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 5:28 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Yup I have to agree with the above 3 posts, the blue sky and sunshine even at minus 30million really does pick you up. I would say Calgary if you had to choose between the two (after all its got Butch and Steve P there )
Old Apr 7th 2009, 6:06 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Yup I have to agree with the above 3 posts, the blue sky and sunshine even at minus 30million really does pick you up. I would say Calgary if you had to choose between the two (after all its got Butch and Steve P there )
OI, we're trying to persuade her to come to Calgary. NOT drop a nuclear warhead on it.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Getting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
OI, we're trying to persuade her to come to Calgary. NOT drop a nuclear warhead on it.

Vancouver we found to be a fab place to visit but never quite felt like home and in terms of the weather, maybe too much like home! Property would have been something of a compromise - we don't see that we could have afforded there what we could here in Okotoks (or elsewhere in Calgary itself). Vancouver commuting felt to us like it would be fairly troublesome IF work were to take us to downtown Vancouver (which would have been our assumption at the time), not that we're suggesting it's a breeze in Calgary. Despite the snow, we prefer the weather here. Whilst we think the sunshine thing can be a little over-played, there is unquestionably more of it here than in Vancouver and that really can help during the winter. We like the feeling of space around Calgary. By comparison, we find the locals a little warmer in personality than in Vancouver. For us, Calgary and surrounds wins out over Vancouver.

The best advice given above though...come and visit if you can and make your own judgement.

Eamonn & Janet.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 10:33 pm

Calgary wins...game, set and match Calgary.

See this thread for why. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=602361
Old Apr 7th 2009, 10:42 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Calgary wins...game, set and match Calgary.

See this thread for why. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=602361
And as if that wasn't enough, Iginla and the guys will walk all over the Canucks later.

Vancouver never really had a chance did it
Old Apr 7th 2009, 10:47 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Location is very personal; stats don't mean a thing. You have to visit a place which is why I tend not to offer opinions on these type of threads 9 besides never having visited either of course ).
Old Apr 7th 2009, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by Tangram
Location is very personal; stats don't mean a thing. You have to visit a place which is why I tend not to offer opinions on these type of threads 9 besides never having visited either of course ).
That's why I used the happy faces with my "game, set and match" post.

I really do wish we had a tongue in cheek smiley.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 10:57 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Vancouver for me. Its the only place I'd live in Canada.
I like the weather, there's a few decent restaurants, an airport only 8 miles away, a good uni and fair-to-middling one. A few good shops. Some great places to go to gigs. A nice fresh market within walking distance. A fair bus system. And its by the sea and sailing is my passion so it's no contest for me. There again I don't have kids yet. When I do, I'll go back home to bring them up. Again, just a personal choice nothing against the place so don't jump down my neck.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by Oink
There again I don't have kids yet. When I do, I'll go back home to bring them up. Again, just a personal choice nothing against the place so don't jump down my neck.
Not jumping down your neck but I find that a very curious statement considering that a lot of people on this site state that they come here so their children will have a better chance at life.

Yet you say "nothing against the place" but then appear to say Canada is not a good enough place to educate and raise your kids?
Old Apr 7th 2009, 11:13 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

That's why I used the happy faces with my "game, set and match" post.

I really do wish we had a tongue in cheek smiley.
Sorry Steve I didn't even read your post, it didn't matter to my point.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 11:13 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Not jumping down your neck but I find that a very curious statement considering that a lot of people on this site state that they come here so their children will have a better chance at life.

Yet you say "nothing against the place" but then appear to say Canada is not a good enough place to educate and raise your kids?
Now that is a curious one isn't it.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

I think it really depends partly on how you enjoy spending your time

We didn't really consider Vancouver as financially it wasn't attractive, they weren't so desparate for people in OH's line of work and so he might not have got the leave package etc, we didn't want to live in such a large city and we wanted quicker access to a variety of world class skiing. I know loads rave about Whistler - but we don't.

I didn't actually expect to enjoy life in Calgary as much as I do. WE are here on a WP and if we don't get PR- I'll be gutted!

Gryph
Old Apr 7th 2009, 11:36 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I like the weather, there's a few decent restaurants, an airport only 8 miles away, a good uni and fair-to-middling one.
One of my children is about to go to university in Vancouver, and why not, she's been to university everywhere else. I'd been interested to know is she going to the good one or the fair-to-middling one. Which is what?
Old Apr 7th 2009, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a bit ticked with people constantly and glibly stating there's not much to do in Calgary:

Here's some of the live theatres:
  • Lunchbox Theatre presents 50-minute shows tailored to the lunchtime crowd
  • One Yellow Rabbit
  • StoryBook Theatre
  • Alberta Theatre Projects
  • Theatre Junction
  • Stage West
  • Jubilations Theatre
  • Theatre Calgary
  • Downstage
  • Calgary Fringe
  • Loose Moose
  • Alberta Dance Theatre
  • The Liffey Players
    Shakespeare in the Park

Classical Music:
  • Calgary Opera Company
  • Calgary Pro Musica Scoeity
  • Honens International Piano Competition
  • Mount Royal Kantorei
  • Cantos Music Foundation
  • Early Music Voices Concerts
  • Calgary International Organ Festival
  • Mozart in the Mountains
Calgary International Blues Festival

That's apart from the Calagry Flames and the Hitmen - both great hockey teams in their respective leagues.

The Calgary Stampeders - championship football (canadian style)
Calgary Roughnecks, lacrosse

Major Rock concerts happen at the 'Dome.

Lots of celtic and folk music venues and festival

Lots of live music festivals

No, it's not London's West End, or the Bolshoi ballet - but it ain't bad, and it's here in town.

Plus Canada Olympic Park
The Olympic Oval

Fantastic (in comparison to Manchester circa "Life on Mars" era) sports and fitness facilites, swimming pools, rock climbing walls, wave pools,

And some of the best skiiing on the planet available within an hour and a half.

And every community association usually offers martial arts, crafts, yoga and/or fitness classes.

The schools are good.
The houses are good.
The wages are relatively high.
There's a Tim Hortons Second Cup or Starbucks on every corner.
There's more Indian Restaurants every year
Brit food is more available than before
There's farmers markets in every quadrant of the city

And blue sky 7 days out of 10.

So it snows and it gets cold - how come 14 year old Calgary girls are able to walk around in flat "pumps" and short skirts year round? They ain't that tough.... really...!:curse:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.