Reload this Page >

calgary vs vancouver? help!

calgary vs vancouver? help!

Old Apr 7th 2009, 3:00 pm
Just Joined

hollyanne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default calgary vs vancouver? help!

Hi

My husband has just been offered a job and has been given a choice of location Calgary or Vancouver.

I would be interested to hear peoples comments on living in Calgary or Vancouver and good places to bring up children around these areas,we dont want to be in the hub of things but not too far away either.

Any ideas?

Holly
Old Apr 7th 2009, 3:06 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: calgary vs vancouver? help!

Originally Posted by hollyanne
Hi

My husband has just been offered a job and has been given a choice of location Calgary or Vancouver.

I would be interested to hear peoples comments on living in Calgary or Vancouver and good places to bring up children around these areas,we dont want to be in the hub of things but not too far away either.

Any ideas?

Holly
On top of advice from people on here i'd also highly recommend you book a 2 or 3 week holiday and spend a week/week & half in each place

See it for yourself is the best way. Once you've seen it and had limited experience it'll help narrow down the place and after that you can fine tune the area decision for schools etc etc.

Personally, i say VANCOUVER!!!
Old Apr 7th 2009, 3:39 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
On top of advice from people on here i'd also highly recommend you book a 2 or 3 week holiday and spend a week/week & half in each place

See it for yourself is the best way. Once you've seen it and had limited experience it'll help narrow down the place and after that you can fine tune the area decision for schools etc etc.

Personally, i say CALGARY!!!
I agree totally, and if you dont actually want to live in Calgary there's always Okotoks
Old Apr 7th 2009, 3:43 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Vancouver - milder climate. Beautiful. coastal.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 3:46 pm
Banned

livermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Costly...I personally don't like calgary v. much but it is cheaper.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 3:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Could be a very different standard of living in each place if the salary would be the same.

My husband's company also had an office in the infamous Okotoks so that was one place we looked at too, and I know that we would have had a lot more spare money each month there rather than Vancouver! As it happens, they want him in the head office in Vancouver so the choice was taken away from us anyway.

If you wanted to give people a rough idea of what your OH will be earning then they may be able to give you idea of the type of lifestyle you'd be able to afford in each city.

Old Apr 7th 2009, 3:59 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by livermanl
Costly...I personally don't like calgary v. much but it is cheaper.
Yet you chose Winnipeg?

Not being sarky or anything but why don't you like Calgary at what does Winnipeg offer?
Old Apr 7th 2009, 4:01 pm
Banned

livermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Yet you chose Winnipeg?

Not being sarky or anything but why don't you like Calgary at what does Winnipeg offer?
Winnipeg has more to do per capita than calgary. doesn't have traffic and is cheaper. Generally and this is my opinion Winnipeg has much more to offer than Calgary and doesn't have as many downfalls.

The big bad point about the 'peg is the weather.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 4:06 pm

Winnipeg has more to do per capita than calgary. doesn't have traffic and is cheaper.
More to do per capita? What does that mean?

I can agree with you about the traffic, that doesn't affect me but I can see it being a pain if I had to work downtown.

Homes very definitely cheaper.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 4:11 pm
Banned

More to do per capita? What does that mean?

I can agree with you about the traffic, that doesn't affect me but I can see it being a pain if I had to work downtown.

Homes very definitely cheaper.
Well statistically I am not sure but considoring calgary has a much larger population there seems to be very little to do.

Winnipeg has more restaurants per capita than any other province, there is a number of decent shows each year at the main concert halls, museum, zoo, art galleries, ok night life (not amazing).

you get the cultral events in the summer, the beaches.

I have been to Calgary 3 times and I feel that there is very little for me to see there.

Winnipeg gets a bad rep. but on the whole it is a very nice city and always plenty of ways to entertain it's poplulation.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 4:12 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
for 'milder climate and coastal' read pisses it down and grey skies
Old Apr 7th 2009, 4:18 pm

Well statistically I am not sure but considoring calgary has a much larger population there seems to be very little to do.

Winnipeg has more restaurants per capita than any other province, there is a number of decent shows each year at the main concert halls, museum, zoo, art galleries, ok night life (not amazing).

you get the cultral events in the summer, the beaches.

I have been to Calgary 3 times and I feel that there is very little for me to see there.

Winnipeg gets a bad rep. but on the whole it is a very nice city and always plenty of ways to entertain it's poplulation.
I guess it's all a matter of how you perceive a place.

I would say Calgary has all of what you say Winnipeg has except substitute mountains for beaches.

Thanks for your comments.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 4:19 pm
Banned

I guess it's all a matter of how you perceive a place.

I would say Calgary has all of what you say Winnipeg has except substitute mountains for beaches.

Thanks for your comments.
Yeah again it's not an argument just differing opinions.

I enjoyed banff and cochraine.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

leepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to behold

You really need to go and see both places.....

I absolutely love Vancouver - it has such a lovely setting BUT....I have been lucky enough to only be there in good weather. My husband (raised in Alberta) lived there for over two yrs and the weather drove him insane. Vancouver has a much milder climate but - as far as hubby is concerned, that doesn't make up for grey and overcast OR grey and raining!!!

We live in Calgary at the moment. I think most of us here are sooooo fed up of winter! It has been a cold one furr shuur!! But, one thing I do think I would really miss is the Alberta blue sky and sunshine...even at -30 million it is bright!!!

As I say you really need to experience both even for a little while....

Good luck
Lisa
Old Apr 7th 2009, 5:09 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by leepee
You really need to go and see both places.....

I absolutely love Vancouver - it has such a lovely setting BUT....I have been lucky enough to only be there in good weather. My husband (raised in Alberta) lived there for over two yrs and the weather drove him insane. Vancouver has a much milder climate but - as far as hubby is concerned, that doesn't make up for grey and overcast OR grey and raining!!!

We live in Calgary at the moment. I think most of us here are sooooo fed up of winter! It has been a cold one furr shuur!! But, one thing I do think I would really miss is the Alberta blue sky and sunshine...even at -30 million it is bright!!!

As I say you really need to experience both even for a little while....

Good luck
Lisa
Well said that girl

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.