British Car Day

Old Aug 12th 2019, 3:25 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Car Day

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Of course. My picnic arrives in the (now sadly rather battered and bruised) Fortnum and Mason hamper that once contained one of those corporate Christmas ham-and-preserves gifts. It's wildly impractical as it doesn't keep cold things cold or hot things hot, and it impedes rear vision when it's strapped to the luggage rack, but it looks the part and that's really the only thing that matters, after all
I couldn't deal with that impeded rear vision. To my mind a major joy is having a rear view mirror, ideally attached to the dashboard, which offers an unobstructed view. I can't be dealing with cars that have bulbous top packaging requiring use of the wing mirrors so, no Beetles, no Bentleys and regrettably few Alvis models seem joyous to me.

That is the Megalomaniac Winery.
Old Aug 13th 2019, 2:26 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Oooh a Rolls, get you!
I made OH promise to never buy another one, we've had a few. He promised not to buy one, so he got given One πŸ€€πŸ™„
Old Aug 13th 2019, 3:53 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
I made OH promise to never buy another one, we've had a few. He promised not to buy one, so he got given One πŸ€€πŸ™„
You'll have to introduce me to some of your friends, the only thing I've ever been given was a second-hand bike - and it was a boy's
Old Aug 23rd 2019, 10:06 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Ooh when we move I'll bring my Capri and OH can bring the Land Rover or Rolls Or Zephyr, if any of those are still under our ownership...hopefully the Rolls will be long gone,
The Landy will probably be worth more than the rolls. Switch it to LHD in your barn and it'll pay for the move!

I might try to get there this year, not been for the last few. It's an unusual Sunday these days that doesn't have some sort of sporting or social event for assorted offspring to get to, which more often than not precludes my swanning off for a day in a field with a picnic (since I got fed up with the price/quality conundrum of the food that dbd mentioned). I'll try and update plans on this thread nearer the time, it usually boils down to a "game day decision."
I made a splendid game day decision to go and test ride the new Royal Enfields in Acton back in June. Really impressive and a nice excuse for a spin across to the west side of the GTA too.

Old Aug 23rd 2019, 10:08 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

I saw the Jag XF shooting brake in the UK this summer for the first time, and nearly cried. In ten years when they're affordable we'll only have those ghastly F-Pace things to look at.

Finding myself drooling of Focus and Avensis wagons was a bit of a low point, and possibly a sign of home-sickness? Or just my SUV allergy.
Old Aug 30th 2019, 1:16 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
The Landy will probably be worth more than the rolls. Switch it to LHD in your barn and it'll pay for the move!

I made a splendid game day decision to go and test ride the new Royal Enfields in Acton back in June. Really impressive and a nice excuse for a spin across to the west side of the GTA too.
We have a barely used Royal Enfield for sale at the moment....Landy is already a LHD.
Old Aug 30th 2019, 2:51 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

British Car Day may have fallen off my agenda for this year, at least as a participant if not as a spectator. The back end of the Morgan is in pieces on the garage floor, awaiting delivery of new wheel cylinders for the rear brakes on both sides. I had a bit of an instant-aid-to-concentration moment the other day when I pressed the brake pedal, my foot went to the floor, and no significant change in velocity occurred. Thankfully in slow but steady traffic on the highway; I was able to get home (very carefully) using engine braking and the handbrake. It's likely one side hasn't been working very effectively for some time, judging by state of the drum and shoe... note to self to make sure I drive hard enough and brake sharply enough to notice any asymmetry in future!
Old Aug 30th 2019, 6:02 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

British Car Day may have fallen off my agenda for this year, at least as a participant if not as a spectator. The back end of the Morgan is in pieces on the garage floor, awaiting delivery of new wheel cylinders for the rear brakes on both sides. I had a bit of an instant-aid-to-concentration moment the other day when I pressed the brake pedal, my foot went to the floor, and no significant change in velocity occurred. Thankfully in slow but steady traffic on the highway; I was able to get home (very carefully) using engine braking and the handbrake. It's likely one side hasn't been working very effectively for some time, judging by state of the drum and shoe... note to self to make sure I drive hard enough and brake sharply enough to notice any asymmetry in future!
Eek! I intend to go, if there's no danger of raindrops, and have scheduled repairs to my wobbly steering to follow.
Old Sep 14th 2019, 1:21 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Sunday is the day of the show. Anyone going?
Old Sep 14th 2019, 2:53 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Sunday is the day of the show. Anyone going?
I intend to go, I have my window card. Red and black Austin-Healey.
Old Sep 15th 2019, 1:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I intend to go, I have my window card. Red and black Austin-Healey.
Unfortunately we are stuck downtown today, but hubby would have loved to see the cars. The weather isn’t looking good for this afternoon.

Hope all goes well and the rain stays away.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Sep 15th 2019 at 1:22 pm.