Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

MY5 UK TV Viewing Help

MY5 UK TV Viewing Help

Old Sep 15th 2019, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

joinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default MY5 UK TV Viewing Help

Hello
looking for some help / advice on how I can watch my5 / channel 5 on demand on my TV in Canada
i have managed to watch / use it on my iPad but it will not mirror to my Apple TV ( only the audio will mirror no picture )
i can use a VPN on my iPad but on my Apple TV not sure if this will work and we also use rural TELUS internet so not easy to add a VPN to our home router and I am not sure a VPN will even solve the issue with the MY5 viewing. Maybe there is another option to use MY5 in Canada that I am not aware of so any advice would be appreciated thanks
Old Sep 15th 2019, 10:00 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MY5 UK TV Viewing Help

I use a DNS hider for all my ATVs and use the MY5 app on the ATV
Old Sep 16th 2019, 1:17 am
BE Forum Addict

joinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
I use a DNS hider for all my ATVs and use the MY5 app on the ATV
i can view MY5 on my iPad using a VPN but can’t view it on my TV we use rural TELUS internet smart hub and it’s not that easy to add a VPN direct to our router unfortunately
Old Sep 16th 2019, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Easiest option would be just to get a PC for your living room. You can connect it to your TV with HDMI, then just connect to the VPN on your PC and browse the My5 website with a web browser.

Alternatively, you could connect a PC/Laptop to your router with a regular LAN cable, connect to the VPN, then use Windows Connection Sharing to share the VPN connection over a WiFi hotspot and have the apple TV and your phone both connect to that. I've known people to sometimes have issues with this though (sometimes the site will realize you're using a VPN this way).

Final option would be to buy a powerful router that can connect to the VPN.
Old Sep 16th 2019, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
Easiest option would be just to get a PC for your living room. You can connect it to your TV with HDMI, then just connect to the VPN on your PC and browse the My5 website with a web browser.

Alternatively, you could connect a PC/Laptop to your router with a regular LAN cable, connect to the VPN, then use Windows Connection Sharing to share the VPN connection over a WiFi hotspot and have the apple TV and your phone both connect to that. I've known people to sometimes have issues with this though (sometimes the site will realize you're using a VPN this way).

Final option would be to buy a powerful router that can connect to the VPN.
yep the laptop maybe a good option think I pickup a cheap laptop and try connect it directly to my tv and see if that works
thanks
Old Sep 16th 2019, 5:35 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joinerboy

i can view MY5 on my iPad using a VPN but can’t view it on my TV we use rural TELUS internet smart hub and it’s not that easy to add a VPN direct to our router unfortunately
I didn't say I use a VPN. I don't make any changes to my router.
Old Sep 16th 2019, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Tangram
I didn't say I use a VPN. I don't make any changes to my router.
sorry was not sure what a DNS was , can you advise how I could use a DNS to view MY5 on tv rather than viewing it only on the iPad thanks
Old Sep 16th 2019, 6:46 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joinerboy
yep the laptop maybe a good option think I pickup a cheap laptop and try connect it directly to my tv and see if that works
thanks
If it's going to be permanently connected to TV you might do better with a slim/small/whatever PC (tower) - refurbished.
I got one for $99 (mail order from Infotech in Toronto) with far better specs than I'd have got in a laptop for that low a price.

It was W7 but we took the still free upgrade to W10.

Old Sep 16th 2019, 11:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Today I had a play around with the tv and using express VPN service I was able to manually set my DNS on my Apple TV box and then login into iTunes using my old uk login. I downloaded the BBC i player APP and that seems to work also downloaded the MY5 app unfortunately it will not play when I choose a tv show.
Not sure if it’s the DNS I am using that’s not compatible with MY5 or something else
my head starting to hurt lol