Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lab
Reload this Page >

W7 (and presumably 8/8.1) to W10

W7 (and presumably 8/8.1) to W10

Old Mar 1st 2019, 8:22 pm
A girly swot

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default W7 (and presumably 8/8.1) to W10

Just in case anyone was wondering, it's still free and easy to upgrade to activated W10

https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-...ws-10-upgrade/

Updated October 2018

Worked successfully last week on a refurb desktop so if you see a bargain, don't be put off by it being 7 or 8.
Old Mar 4th 2019, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: W7 (and presumably 8/8.1) to W10

Somewhat off-topic but in keeping with the comment, "if you see a bargain".
I'm a keen Mac fan, which however doesn't deter me from looking around for potential pc bargains - especially laptops.

Over the weekend I spotted a Dell Latitude D620 and Toshiba Tecra M2 in a thrift store for just a few dollars. They were both in excellent condition, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered. They were running Windows 7 and Win XP respectively, the latter being of particular interest to me, as I just love playing around with old hardware & associated software. Both came with their respective chargers and the added bonus with the Toshiba was that the battery held an excellent charge.
Once home, over the next half hour on the Dell I removed all bloatware, then added the LibreOffice suite. Performed a number of Win 7 speed-up performance tweaks, installed FireFox 65.02 and then customized the browser with a dozen or so tweaks for speed increases and particularly added security - something I also do on all my Macs, using the about:config command from within Firefox's URL toolbar.
Web browsing results were truly amazing, especially for a 13 year-old 32bit computer with what I assume still incorporates an original fairly slow SATA hard drive.
Then just for fun, I popped in a Lubunto 17 (32bit) dvd, and without installing the OS ran it from the dvd. Very impressive too, so already I feel I've had my money's-worth.

I've not played around within Win XP for some time, so that's to look forward to on the Toshiba when I get a free moment. I plan to remove all unnecessary bloatware from the system, tweak for max performance and search around for an updated web browser. If no recent browser is available - which is likely, I'll give Linux Light a try, as it's supposed to be a good replacement for Win XP.
Never a dull moment here............
Old Mar 4th 2019, 8:37 pm
A girly swot

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe View Post
....about:config command from within Firefox's URL toolbar. ...
I've used that a few times but there should be easier ways for some functions.
Since I bought a 'new' laptop...good lord, it was 2017!!...I have maintained my previous one, cleared of loads of things and mainly kept for the internet download manager installed on it. It's very good for quickly downloading when a streaming service is playing up.

Recently and for no obvious reason, if I changed the zoom size on a web site, it changed it on the whole website. For example, I have the Guardian always open in my first tab but then I use a second and subsequent tabs for articles with readers comments. I grow those because the comments are in a smaller size.

I've been doing this for several years (both laptops) and resizing has NEVER changed the size of the text on the first tab.
I raised the issue on Firefox and they said "It's not an issue, this is the way it behaves" which irritated me no end because that was not the way it had been behaving. But they said I could change the true/false around to get it to do what I wanted.
So I did and it's now behaving as it was. But I have both laptops set up the same way and only on one of them did the behaviour change.

Anyway, sounds like you had fun with the two laptops. But what are you going to do with them now?
Old Mar 4th 2019, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

On my daily, most used laptop I've been using WaterFox as my unique browser for quite some time so I couldn't immediately understand your web site zoom issue. Have now downloaded FireFox (Quantum 65.01) to check out it's tab zoom behaviour.
Currently have both FF and WFox fired up, each with 5 tabs open.
Zoom tab behaviour is the same on both browsers, i.e. zooming tabs 2,3,4 or 5 makes no changes to tab 1 text size.

There could well be a browser preference command to change the tab zoom behaviour but no idea what that is. Had a quick look in the about:config listings and although there are dozens of browser.tab. commands could see nothing specific relating to browser tab zoom.
One thing I did notice is that on zooming a particular tab, if that tab is closed, then opened again with the same web site, the previously set zoom size is memorized until the browser is closed. However I appreciate that wasn't your particular issue.
What was the exact command preference you changed to alter the tab behaviour to do what you wanted?

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Mar 4th 2019 at 11:16 pm.
Old Mar 5th 2019, 3:34 am
A girly swot

Here's my question and answer
If I have two (or more) tabs open for the same website and I want to resize/zoom something on one tab only, the other tab now also changes.As an example, I will have the Guardian news site open with all sizes of text and graphics as I like them. If there is an article open for comments I open this in a second tab and, because the text of the comments is smaller, I increase the size on this tab.Doing that made the text on the second tab a nice size for me but nothing on the first tab changed.Since last night, every time I change the size/zoom on the second tab it now does the same thing on the first tab. I've done nothing different to this laptop nor firefox settings.What's happened?

Chosen solution

Yes, that's how it works. This is not an issue.If you want to change this behavior, enter about:config in the URL bar and set browser.zoom.siteSpecific = false.
Old Jul 19th 2019, 6:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Just in case anyone was wondering, it's still free and easy to upgrade to activated W10

https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-...ws-10-upgrade/

Updated October 2018

Worked successfully last week on a refurb desktop so if you see a bargain, don't be put off by it being 7 or 8.
This is very interesting! I thought that ship had sailed. What was the version of Win7 that you successfully updated? I have some desktops at windows 7 professional that I'd like to upgrade.
Old Jul 19th 2019, 8:49 pm
A girly swot

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
This is very interesting! I thought that ship had sailed. What was the version of Win7 that you successfully updated? I have some desktops at windows 7 professional that I'd like to upgrade.
Home version. Somewhere along the way, not necessarily in that article I'm sure I read it would still work with any version, upgrading to its equivalent, so long as it was genuine.
Old Jul 19th 2019, 8:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Home version. Somewhere along the way, not necessarily in that article I'm sure I read it would still work with any version, upgrading to its equivalent, so long as it was genuine.
I have a few old laptops still on W7 - dell OEM licenses. I'll try them! I need to keep one at W7 for test purposes but I think I have two at least. I'll give it a shot!

Thanks
Old Jul 19th 2019, 9:01 pm
A girly swot

I was just about to post that article was updated April but I see part way down it says updated June and still working.
Old Jul 24th 2019, 5:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, as an IT professional this still works. Use it all the time on customers laptops when they need to be reloaded I just install Windows 10 and it activates with the W7 or 8.1 key.
Old Jul 24th 2019, 6:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Gozit View Post
Yep, as an IT professional this still works. Use it all the time on customers laptops when they need to be reloaded I just install Windows 10 and it activates with the W7 or 8.1 key.
I just did a test upgrade last night and will be checking on the results today. Most of the machines I want to upgrade are Dell OEM licensed. In fact I think they shipped with a windows 10 license, but I chose, back then, to take the downgrade option for windows 7.
Old Jul 24th 2019, 11:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
I just did a test upgrade last night and will be checking on the results today. Most of the machines I want to upgrade are Dell OEM licensed. In fact I think they shipped with a windows 10 license, but I chose, back then, to take the downgrade option for windows 7.
You don't have to install W7 then upgrade, just clean install of 10 should do the trick, then activate with W7 key or if it came with W10 it should activate with a digital license
Old Jul 25th 2019, 2:03 pm
European

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all, just taken my last remaining Win 7 (desktop machine) up to Win 10, no issues encountered.
Old Jul 25th 2019, 8:59 pm
A girly swot

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
Thanks all, just taken my last remaining Win 7 (desktop machine) up to Win 10, no issues encountered.
W7 is officially an endangered species.

Old Jul 26th 2019, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

W7 is officially an endangered species.

How's about WIN XP then......

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.