Bin Laden dead

Old May 6th 2011, 6:19 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bin Laden dead

Originally Posted by Oink
Define and operationalize democracy.
*opens new window and search's wikipedia*
Old May 6th 2011, 6:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Tricky. Although I reckon that it is necessary for a democracy to be governed by a set of laws that applies equally to all regardless of who they are.
Did this occur on US soil? Did he ever subject himself to US law (I say US for the sake of space, I appreciate that International Law may have something to say about it)? Thought not. That being the case, I guess we can accept that he got what was appropriate when one engages in Jihad.

Woud it have been more acceptable to you if he had shot back at those that did the shooting?

We will see if s/he wot ordered the operation is ever put on trial. If not, one must assume that s/he complied with the law of the US. Just as we have to accept that every accused that is acquited is innocent of the crime they were accused of - no?
Old May 6th 2011, 6:23 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose it depends if you look at this situation as an act taken during a legitimate war.

No one would have been upset had a crack SAS brigage taken out Hitler or Goering, after all in a war they would be legitimate targets to hasten the end of hostilities.

Is the "War Against Terror" so very different? Its clearly not "nation against nation", but both sides announced their intentions some time ago. Just hard to declare war in a legal way when there is such an informal enemy.

Last edited by iaink; May 6th 2011 at 6:26 am.
Old May 6th 2011, 6:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is, when a nation states that purports to some sort of shinning-city-on-the-hill in regards to democratic values, seems to pick and choose at their convenience when those set of laws should and should not apply, even when they've written them down in a document.
As I said above, one assumes that there are enough care bears in the US to take some sort of action against those that breached their rules. Can you please supply a document that you allege was breached?
Old May 6th 2011, 6:25 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
We will see if s/he wot ordered the operation is ever put on trial. If not, one must assume that s/he complied with the law of the US.
What, like Nixon Clearly he broke the law as president, but was never tried...
Old May 6th 2011, 6:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by iaink
I suppose it depends if you look at this situation as an act taken during a legitimate war.

No one would have been upset had a crack SAS brigage taken out Hitler or Goering, after all in a war they would be legitimate targets to hasten the end o g hostilities.

Is the "War Against Terror" so very different? Its clearly not "nation against nation", but both sides announced their intentions some time ago.
The SAS hadn't been formed when WWII was taking place, if my regimental history serves me correct.
Old May 6th 2011, 6:26 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Tricky. Although I reckon that it is necessary for a democracy to be governed by a set of laws that applies equally to all regardless of who they are.
It does apply equally to all that are part of their election process. Bin Laden was not- infact his sole aim was to destroy their ideology through any means necessary.............
Old May 6th 2011, 6:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

What, like Nixon Clearly he broke the law as president, but was never tried...
Lots of people break the law and are never tried; it is only Presidents that are exempt from the operation of the law? I thought the President that followed him "pardoned" him.
Old May 6th 2011, 6:29 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

The SAS hadn't been formed when WWII was taking place, if my regimental history serves me correct.
1941, SBS was 40. not that it matters to the point I was making.
Old May 6th 2011, 6:30 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

As I said above, one assumes that there are enough care bears in the US to take some sort of action against those that breached their rules. Can you please supply a document that you allege was breached?
The fifth and sixth amendments to the US constitution.
Old May 6th 2011, 6:33 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
It does apply equally to all that are part of their election process. Bin Laden was not- infact his sole aim was to destroy their ideology through any means necessary.............
So using that logic Timothy Mcveigh shouldn't have had a trail?
Old May 6th 2011, 6:34 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Did this occur on US soil? Did he ever subject himself to US law (I say US for the sake of space, I appreciate that International Law may have something to say about it)? Thought not. That being the case, I guess we can accept that he got what was appropriate when one engages in Jihad.

Woud it have been more acceptable to you if he had shot back at those that did the shooting?

We will see if s/he wot ordered the operation is ever put on trial. If not, one must assume that s/he complied with the law of the US. Just as we have to accept that every accused that is acquited is innocent of the crime they were accused of - no?
Well, I guess you are happy for governments to murder people or lock them up forever without any trials.
Old May 6th 2011, 6:35 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

Lots of people break the law and are never tried; it is only Presidents that are exempt from the operation of the law? I thought the President that followed him "pardoned" him.
So he could in fact have broken the law, even if he's not actually tried and found guilty then?

Thats not what you said here.. "We will see if s/he wot ordered the operation is ever put on trial. If not, one must assume that s/he complied with the law of the US."

Anyone know if the US is actually and in a legally binding way, "at war" with certain terrorist organisations and their personnel? There must be some sort of process to follow I imagine.
Old May 6th 2011, 6:36 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone know if the US is actually and in a legally binding way, "at war" with certain terrorist organisations and their personnel? There must be some sort of process to follow I imagine.
They are not. There has been no official declaration of war (which requires a vote from congress I believe - Bush never did this, and neither has Obama)
Old May 6th 2011, 6:37 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

So using that logic Timothy Mcveigh shouldn't have had a trail?
Who is Timothy Mcveigh?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.