Best shops?

Old Feb 18th 2009, 6:36 am
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best shops?

Originally Posted by iaink
Given the region specific nature of style and trends and fashionable labels, I cant help feeling sorry for the hard time any kids are going to get for wearing the latest London fashions and labels in Toronto
To be fair Toronto is the one city in Canada where being upto date in fashion won't give you a hard time..

Granted once you’re more than 20kms outside, you'll stand out like a sore thumb, and probably for the next 4 years until the rest of Canada catches up

On the flip side of that, I like to think that we dress in a standard that would pass as upto date but casual in the UK, we don’t stand out when we visit, I felt horribly slovenly when I visited Geneva in Switzerland last year
(I felt like most out of town Canadians look like to me)
Old Feb 18th 2009, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

zoec is an unknown quantity at this point

Fashion out here is definitely out of date, i live about an hour and a half from Toronto, and it sucks up here for clothes, good thing the scenery is good to make up for it.

I'd definitely stock up on stuff from Primark, not only is it cheap it doesnt matter if it falls apart in a few weeks/months.

There is nothing close to Monsoon, though they do have accessorize in Toronto! Nothing close to next, nothing close to Topshop either.
Also i find alot of the shops over here dont have good underwear, and hardly any of the clothes stores carry shoes like the ones in the UK especially for cheap ones like New Look carry. Most of the clothes over here in malls are plain, boyish and most stores clothes look exactly the same e.g. Stitches, Garage, Suzy shier, urg!

And even though you obviously have to dress sensible in the winter, when you dont have to in the summer, well those summer clothes suck too!

So yeah either stock up, or try and get to the boutique shops over here or Urban Outfitters even though its pricey. Well i guess you like designer stuff then urban wont be....

Old Feb 18th 2009, 3:46 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

NB is hardly a province for designer or classy looking clothing. Yet there are several stores in Moncton that satisfied my mum when she visited and she is permanently well dressed. She bought a few things here.

Sears sells top stuff (at top prices). They have cheaper things too.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 12:46 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zoec
Fashion out here is definitely out of date,
This kind of statement makes me laugh. Fashion here isnt out of date, its exactly up to speed with whats currently fashionable IN CANADA.

Gosh, its almost like its a whole different country or something
Old Feb 19th 2009, 12:50 am
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Are you Ian Rush in disguise?
Old Feb 19th 2009, 12:53 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clynnog
I can only wish
Old Feb 19th 2009, 1:19 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clynnog
The tash does look familiar.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

I can only wish
It could be worse...imagine being this guy and trying to make your Canadian co-workers, neighbours, friends etc being able to understand you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaPln...eature=related

Have you seen this guy before?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2QEm028lKA

he has the mannerisms and speech matters down perfectly.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 1:33 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

To he honest I find Rushy harder to understand, but then I went to school surrounded by pseudoscousers....
Old Feb 19th 2009, 1:48 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Primark

Does not appear to be the most ethical of companies. It is bad enough that large retailers in the west use offshore "slave" labour to produce low price items for sale in the UK/USA/CANADA, but to have it done on your own doorstep????

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7824291.stm
Old Feb 19th 2009, 2:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
Primark

Does not appear to be the most ethical of companies. It is bad enough that large retailers in the west use offshore "slave" labour to produce low price items for sale in the UK/USA/CANADA, but to have it done on your own doorstep????

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7824291.stm
Doesn't appear Primark was doing it but a contractor, so its very well they may have no idea.

Plus the company in questions provides clothing to other retailers as well.

The west wants cheap goods, cheap goods need cheap labor. Can't have cheap prices and high labor costs, the 2 dont mix.

I would guess more of our clothing is made in sweat shops then we will ever know.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 2:35 am
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

This kind of statement makes me laugh. Fashion here isnt out of date, its exactly up to speed with whats currently fashionable IN CANADA.

C’mon it’s a global economy fashion is set by the big fashion houses and it’s not regional
Some cities in the world are more in step and up to date, others a step or two behind.
Granted rural Canada tends to be years behind rather than weeks or months.
I believe its party due to it being almost as inward and insular as our neighbour to the south, who also have a time warp effect in place the more rural you get.

I suppose it’s nice to pretend that parts of Canada has it own fashion, even if it is simply the absence of any fashionable awareness
(Toronto I would say is quite in step and in fashion)
Old Feb 19th 2009, 2:54 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

I noticed when i first moved here that dress is way more casual. Its all jeans and shirts. Jeans with dress shoes etc. Even when going to a fancy eatery.

Cant say i'm a fashion model, but there's seems to be a fair bit of choice in vanouver. When i was in manchester a couple of years ago, it seemed there were a lot of the same stores H and M, Gap, Mexx, French Connection UK, Benaton etc There's also Zara that seems to be the hip place to go, not my cup of tea though. Aldo for shoes.

It used to be a great money saver drving down to the Seattle outlet store where there's was great deals, not sure if its still a good deal or not, with the dollar having dropped against the US dollar.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 3:00 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Granted rural Canada tends to be years behind rather than weeks or months. I believe its party due to it being almost as inward and insular as our neighbour to the south, who also have a time warp effect in place the more rural you get.
I think that's rather unfair to the US. The fashionable women of Guelph, and I assume anywhere in Ontario west of Guelph, shop in Michigan. The fashionable women of Toronto shop in NYC.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 3:04 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I think that's rather unfair to the US. The fashionable women of Guelph, and I assume anywhere in Ontario west of Guelph, shop in Michigan. The fashionable women of Toronto shop in NYC.
Indeed - Somerset Mall springs to mind...

http://www.thesomersetcollection.com.../directory.asp

A bit rich for my blood I have to say....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.