Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

BC gov offers $40 per day to parents during strike

BC gov offers $40 per day to parents during strike

Old Sep 4th 2014, 6:54 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BC gov offers $40 per day to parents during strike

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Is there a point in time if the strike continues beyond a certain data that the instructional time will have to be made up by the schools? Such as extending into next summer, shortening breaks etc?

I know some places have X amount of days per year, and if they don't meet that, they extend into summer to make up the days.
I the US yes, I doubt it'll happen here.

The problem is, the BCTF are operating with a 20th century mentality in a 21st century reality.
Old Sep 4th 2014, 7:07 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I know 1 teacher, but she is in the minority and voted to not strike, but apparently she has been basically blacklisted and being treated like an alien creature by her co-workers for not supporting the strike.
Well there's the age old difficulty. Take part in the vote but having no intention of paying any attention to the result if it doesn't go your way.

Originally Posted by Oink
The problem is, the BCTF are operating with a 20th century mentality in a 21st century reality.
Yep. It seems they have 'right' on their side judging by the earlier posts, but obviously in this day and age 'might' counts for more.
Old Sep 4th 2014, 9:16 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by prairiechicken
I totally understand, it's really awkward. But at the same time, how much are the BCTF relying on people not saying anything for fear of causing trouble for their kids? (That's a genuine question, not me trying to persuade you to do something). Is there a forum that allows parents to have their say to the BCTF without prejudicing relationships within individual schools?
this is a huge issue. I'm not one to sit by quietly, and I'm saying my bit on FB (where I have teacher friends) as Oink can attest. But a LOT of parents are honestly too scared to speak up because they fear repercussions. However, i think the tide may be starting to turn. When you look at the actual support for teachers in terms of $$ and FB teacher supporting groups, it's not there. A website set up for parents to fund striking teachers has only got just over6 grand in a week. That's pretty pathetic when you consider how many parents there are and school kids.

I also agree with RP that this strike has become very polarized. I'm still talking to my pro-BCTF friends...just..but I see people are becoming more entrenched in their positions as this continues. I myself am so angry. I can see there are going to be some serious maybe it's time to ditch public school discussions over the next few months.
Old Sep 4th 2014, 9:20 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Well there's the age old difficulty. Take part in the vote but having no intention of paying any attention to the result if it doesn't go your way.

Yep. It seems they have 'right' on their side judging by the earlier posts, but obviously in this day and age 'might' counts for more.
There speaks a former public-sector employee

What is "right" in this situation? I don't believe either side has "right" on their side. A court decision is awaiting the appeal judgement of a higher court. The fact that that higher court appears just as likely as the lower courts to find in favour of the teachers doesn't mean they should just pick up their ball and leave the game before the decision is taken. The employers, so far as I can tell, have said more or less "keep the current system in place until a final court decision, at which point that decision becomes part of the settlement." IMHO, "right" would be served by educating the children of British Columbia, not by picketing schools over hypothetical outcomes of yet-to-be-heard court cases.

Bear in mind, too, that the employers were involved neither in the original bargain struck between the BCTF and the provincial government, nor in the subsequent legislation to overturn that bargain, nor in the legal challenge to that legislative decision. The BCTF would appear to have lost any claim to the moral high ground when they did an end-run around the employers in the first place. As I said up-thread, they were prepared to play politics when it suited them, and now they've had their come-uppance and are crying foul. No sympathy for the BCTF from this quarter.
Old Sep 4th 2014, 9:43 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
There speaks a former public-sector employee
Yep. Been on the end of many broken agreements.

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Bear in mind, too, that the employers were involved neither in the original bargain struck between the BCTF and the provincial government,
Does this mean that in the event of agreement between union and employer - in any dispute - a change of union leadership means an agreement could be torn up?
Old Sep 4th 2014, 9:47 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Does this mean that in the event of agreement between union and employer - in any dispute - a change of union leadership means an agreement could be torn up?
Well said. Moreover I think Oakvillian makes too much of the distinction between the Government and the employer. The employer's budget is set by the government, as are the policies they are instructed to adopt.

I'd also add that the "accusation" of applying 20th century values in the 21st century is frankly baffling. Organized labour in all sectors has been royally screwed over for quite a while now. Who can blame them/us for trying to right these abuses?

Last edited by Novocastrian; Sep 4th 2014 at 9:50 pm.
Old Sep 4th 2014, 10:08 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Well said. Moreover I think Oakvillian makes too much of the distinction between the Government and the employer. The employer's budget is set by the government, as are the policies they are instructed to adopt.

I'd also add that the "accusation" of applying 20th century values in the 21st century is frankly baffling. Organized labour in all sectors has been royally screwed over for quite a while now. Who can blame them/us for trying to right these abuses?

Not really sure how demanding massages as part of the settlement is righting any abuses - alleged or otherwise.
Old Sep 4th 2014, 10:25 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I can't agree with teachers and most other public sector employees being royally screwed, most seem to make a pretty good wage and benefits compared to their counterparts in the private sector.

May not be as good as the past, but times change, but public sector employees are hardly abused, they have it pretty cushy as far as I am concerned.
Old Sep 4th 2014, 11:12 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe if teachers weren't so annoyingly righteous I'd have more sympathy. But as they are, **** em.
Old Sep 4th 2014, 11:15 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Maybe if teachers weren't so annoyingly righteous I'd have more sympathy. But as they are, **** em.
If they weren't so annoyingly disingenuous and just told the truth, that they want more money and power, I might have some sympathy for their position.
Old Sep 5th 2014, 1:28 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
[/COLOR]

Not really sure how demanding massages as part of the settlement is righting any abuses - alleged or otherwise.
Oh, go back to reading the Daily Mail
Old Sep 5th 2014, 1:30 am
Born again atheist

I can't agree with teachers and most other public sector employees being royally screwed, most seem to make a pretty good wage and benefits compared to their counterparts in the private sector.

May not be as good as the past, but times change, but public sector employees are hardly abused, they have it pretty cushy as far as I am concerned.
I didn't say they were (although they were). I said Organized Labour. Those in the public sector have been so royally screwed as to be almost non-existent in North America.

This, IMHO, is not a good thing.
Old Sep 5th 2014, 1:31 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Originally Posted by Oink
If they weren't so annoyingly disingenuous and just told the truth, that they want more money and power, I might have some sympathy for their position.
Ha, bloody ha.
Old Sep 5th 2014, 3:03 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think he does, not in this case. It is the agreement on class composition etc that was settled directly between the union and the government, at a political rather than an administrative level, that set up everything that has happened since including the current dispute. If the union hadn't tried to pull a fast one back then, the Libs wouldn't have been able to overturn legislation (because there wouldn't have been any such legislation to overturn) and BC wouldn't have ended up in this sorry mess.

For sure, the employer's budget is set by the government, but it was an almost unique circumstance, I would think, for the administrative agency to have been undermined by the politicians in direct labour negotiations in this way. The function of the government should be to set policy and provide stable funding, not to get involved in direct negotiations with collective bargaining agencies.

I suppose if one doesn't want to blame the BCTF one could blame the provincial NDP, that would be a safe call.
Old Sep 5th 2014, 3:30 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, go back to reading the Daily Mail
Send me one and I'll give it a go. Let it never be said I'm not open minded.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.