Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

BC gov offers $40 per day to parents during strike

BC gov offers $40 per day to parents during strike

Old Sep 6th 2014, 9:34 am
BE Enthusiast

RubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BC gov offers $40 per day to parents during strike

Originally Posted by JonboyE
One option would be for the Labour Relations Board to rule school teaching an essential service. That way the strike could end with neither side losing face. Except that they will not do it by themselves. Someone has to ask the LRB to make a ruling.
The LRB has been called upon several times in 2013/2014 school year by the liberals to use various issues as essential services. I am surprised that nobody talks about the lockout we have been subjected to and all the time teachers volunteer and tutor kids over and above the allocated school day.

Ruby
Old Sep 6th 2014, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

RubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
That is not the whole truth. The BCTF has asked for binding arbitration for selected parts of the agreement. Why not subject the entirety of the contract to binding arbitration?
The whole contract is not in dispute and not the issue it is jusst E80 which refers to class size and composition which the Liberals don't want to remove, it basically states that if they lose the court case they will just rip up the contract and start from scratch thus not respecting any court's decision or our charter rights. I am not sure if you can have sight of our contract as at the moment it is members only. The Liberals control the media and there has been a lot of misinformation out there. Massage benefits were the tip of the iceberg, they are a necessity and I am not going to justify it.

Ruby
Old Sep 6th 2014, 9:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RubyRose
Precisly, the BCTF has been available all summer long but the government hasn't been willing and for those who expected us to picket in the summer think again. I work TEN MONTHS OF THE YEAR AND THAT'S WHAT I GET PAID FOR;nevertheless we did picket and we picketed out summer school and international school.

A further bit of information for those who don't believe in a well funded public education system, remember 35% of you tax dollars are spent on private preparatory schools ( the premier's child attends one of those) this was mentioned by Belle Puri on CBC Vancouver at the start of the teacher's dispute not faith schools.

Food for thought.

Ruby.
A strike is a strike, when on strike the union should not be taking a vacation off over the summer. You wont see that generally in the private sector if there is a strike, they picket til its over for the most part.

Not picketing over the summer isn't good public relations for the union and teachers.

Why does it matter you only work 10 months of the year when it comes to picketing? If your on strike picket, don't take weekends and holidays off.
Old Sep 6th 2014, 9:59 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Ruby's comments are further proof of how polarized this situation is.
Old Sep 6th 2014, 10:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

ruby
I'd say the union leaders are ill-educated as well, what kind of union goes on strike without a strike fund as one example?

If I were a teacher, I'd be more worried about the poor management and leadership at the union before anything else.
Old Sep 6th 2014, 10:02 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I support a well funded public education system sans seniority, crap teachers, and with better qualified teachers. If mainstreaming SN kids isn't working time to revisit that too. Think the union will go fr that? HA
Old Sep 6th 2014, 10:03 am
Account Closed

The whole contract is not in dispute and not the issue it is jusst E80 which refers to class size and composition which the Liberals don't want to remove, it basically states that if they lose the court case they will just rip up the contract and start from scratch thus not respecting any court's decision or our charter rights. I am not sure if you can have sight of our contract as at the moment it is members only. The Liberals control the media and there has been a lot of misinformation out there. Massage benefits were the tip of the iceberg, they are a necessity and I am not going to justify it.

Ruby
Sure they are.

If I want a massage I go and pay for one, why can't teachers do the same? Teachers and their benefits are so out of touch with the real world.
Old Sep 6th 2014, 10:04 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
I support a well funded public education system sans seniority, crap teachers, and with better qualified teachers. If mainstreaming SN kids isn't working time to revisit that too. Think the union will go fr that? HA
Old Sep 6th 2014, 10:09 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

The union should be split into a regulatory body for teachers where membership is mandatory and the political side representing teachers interests which is not.
Old Sep 6th 2014, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I'd say the union leaders are ill-educated as well, what kind of union goes on strike without a strike fund as one example?

If I were a teacher, I'd be more worried about the poor management and leadership at the union before anything else.
I do agree with you and I did bring the matter up but my colleagues here just follow the "LEadership". So I rest my case.

The full strike was foolhardy - we are not Ontario Teachers, however they did give us a million dollars.
Old Sep 6th 2014, 10:17 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

A strike is a strike, when on strike the union should not be taking a vacation off over the summer. You wont see that generally in the private sector if there is a strike, they picket til its over for the most part.
Nonsense. If factory workers are on strike and the factory is closed on a Sunday, do you really think they'd picket on Sundays? What would be the point? Who would they be demonstrating to?

For sure, the workers' union leaders should be available to negotiate, which in the present case they were. It was the employer & the Government who just let things ride until the school children and their parents could be made to suffer again and blame the union for the inconvenience.

Standard Union Busting tactics.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Sep 6th 2014 at 10:19 am.
Old Sep 6th 2014, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Not picketing over the summer isn't good public relations for the union and teachers.

Why does it matter you only work 10 months of the year when it comes to picketing? If your on strike picket, don't take weekends and holidays off.
You missed the point there didn't you, we picketed centres that offered summer school and international school everywhere else in SD43 was closed.
Old Sep 6th 2014, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Alan2005
The union should be split into a regulatory body for teachers where membership is mandatory and the political side representing teachers interests which is not.
hear! Hear!!
Old Sep 6th 2014, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Nonsense. If factory workers are on strike and the factory is closed on a Sunday, do you really think they'd picket on Sundays? What would be the point? Who would they be demonstrating to?

For sure, the workers' union leaders should be available to negotiate, which in the present case they were. It was the employer & the Government who just let things ride until the school children and their parents could be made to suffer again and blame the union for the inconvenience.

Standard Union Busting tactics.
Thank you! Novo
Old Sep 6th 2014, 10:26 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Google the history of the BCTF. Those measures didn't work out very well for the employer or the government.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.