BC Gas Price

Old Apr 20th 2019, 6:28 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BC Gas Price

It's painful but.....
Does the mother delivering her little Jimmy to school really need to turn up in a 2 tonne 5.7liter pickup that delivers 15mpg on a good day?
And.. are manufacturers of US and canadian autos really trying their hardest to make engines that make the most of the fuel that shovelled into them when nobody cares?
Economy isn't one of the overriding questions asked of the auto seller when gas is cheap and the bigger the engine the better.
Perhaps it's about time that reality kicked in and some hard headed decisions were taken by those that matter but we know that won't happen until circumstances dictate.
I don't like giving my money away and I don't like the way gas companies operate but there's more than one side to this particular coin.
It can be done. Remember the mini with it's tiny 848cc engine, it did the job and no doubt today's equivalent would do better. And remember how we revelled in the A series when it reached the enormous size of 1300cc. My Toyota Matrix, bought secondhand, has a lazy 2.4liter engine. It's nowhere near as frugal as I'd like but it's a symptom of the 'bigger is better' mentality. It's a smallish crossover, the engine doesn't need to be that big but it is. I bought it because it was cheapish, so I'm no better than most since engine size didn't really enter the calculation but if gas prices remain at or above today's levels I can foresee rows of gas guzzling trucks on forecourts and a little Toyota Matrix next to them.
Old Apr 20th 2019, 6:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll pay up to 1.85, beyond that its not worth it.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Apr 20th 2019 at 6:51 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2019, 6:54 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I'll pay up to 1.85, beyond that its not worth working.
If you're a delivery driver and pay for your own gas, that makes sense. Just commuting can't be that bad unless you're going a realy long way. I drive around the city quite a bit in an older mini-van and it isn't too brutal (and I'm keeping in mind the difference in our prices). The 700 mile trip I took on the highway on Wednesday cost $160 in gas.
Old Apr 20th 2019, 7:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
If you're a delivery driver and pay for your own gas, that makes sense. Just commuting can't be that bad unless you're going a realy long way. I drive around the city quite a bit in an older mini-van and it isn't too brutal (and I'm keeping in mind the difference in our prices). The 700 mile trip I took on the highway on Wednesday cost $160 in gas.
Its about 27 hours of labor per month to cover the cost of gas and insurance for the commute. (pre-deduction labor) Just not a fan of so many work hours going just to cover the commute costs.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Apr 20th 2019 at 8:00 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2019, 8:07 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Its about 27 hours of labor per month to cover the cost of gas and insurance for the commute. (pre-deduction labor) Just not a fan of so many work hours going just to cover the commute costs.
Sounds like you're driving an hour or more each way every day to work 4 hours. I'd certainly be on the lookout for a better job, and maybe closer (or if it's something you like, hope for increased time). I lived in a town 45 miles from the city and by the time I got to work it was like I'd already been working for an hour every day. At the lake I was 38 miles from town but it was a nice varied commute and not boring, so not nearly as bad. The downside was (like you) I wasn't, erm, extremely solvent... I ate a lot of fish and did a lot of hunting. Quite a bit of the money I was making went for gas so I could get to work.
Old Apr 20th 2019, 8:23 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by caretaker
Sounds like you're driving an hour or more each way every day to work 4 hours. I'd certainly be on the lookout for a better job, and maybe closer. I lived in a town 45 miles from the city and by the time I got to work it was like I'd already been working for an hour every day. At the lake I was 38 miles from town but it was a nice varied commute and not boring, so not nearly as bad. The downside was (like you) I wasn't erm, extremely solvent... I ate a lot of fish and did a lot of hunting. Quite a bit of the money I was making went for gas so I could get to work.
To think 15 ish years ago, I commuted 90 minutes from Milwaukee area to O'hare for $9 per hour and still came out ahead vs paying higher rent in Chicago lol

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Apr 20th 2019 at 8:35 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2019, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad

I’m in SummerlNd right now and it’s only 1.35 a litre. How can it be 1.70 in Van if not for price gouging.
It doesn't help that there are extra taxes on gas in Vancouver and Metro Vancouver that are not paid elsewhere in BC

Translink Tax of 17c per litre, due to increase to 18.5c later this year

BC Transportation Financing Authority tax of 1.8c paid here as well as elsewhere.

There's a total of 52c taxes on each litre sold in Metro.
Old Apr 20th 2019, 8:39 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by scilly
It doesn't help that there are extra taxes on gas in Vancouver and Metro Vancouver that are not paid elsewhere in BC

Translink Tax of 17c per litre, due to increase to 18.5c later this year

BC Transportation Financing Authority tax of 1.8c paid here as well as elsewhere.

There's a total of 52c taxes on each litre sold in Metro.
Even the highest gas tax state in the US doesn't come close to our taxes per liter.

State+federal in California works out to be 18.4 per liter.
Old Apr 20th 2019, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
It's painful but.....
Does the mother delivering her little Jimmy to school really need to turn up in a 2 tonne 5.7liter pickup that delivers 15mpg on a good day?
And.. are manufacturers of US and canadian autos really trying their hardest to make engines that make the most of the fuel that shovelled into them when nobody cares?
Economy isn't one of the overriding questions asked of the auto seller when gas is cheap and the bigger the engine the better.
Perhaps it's about time that reality kicked in and some hard headed decisions were taken by those that matter but we know that won't happen until circumstances dictate.
I don't like giving my money away and I don't like the way gas companies operate but there's more than one side to this particular coin.
It can be done. Remember the mini with it's tiny 848cc engine, it did the job and no doubt today's equivalent would do better. And remember how we revelled in the A series when it reached the enormous size of 1300cc. My Toyota Matrix, bought secondhand, has a lazy 2.4liter engine. It's nowhere near as frugal as I'd like but it's a symptom of the 'bigger is better' mentality. It's a smallish crossover, the engine doesn't need to be that big but it is. I bought it because it was cheapish, so I'm no better than most since engine size didn't really enter the calculation but if gas prices remain at or above today's levels I can foresee rows of gas guzzling trucks on forecourts and a little Toyota Matrix next to them.

No ............ momma doesn't need a gas-guzzling truck or huge SUV

But they have them, even here in the big city, where it seems many were convinced (who by???) that bigger meant safer. So driving a huge SUV was safer for momma to drive the little darlings.

We live close to a major north/south arterial in Vancouver, and can't count the number of accidents that have happened at intersections nearby where the big SUV has ended up either on its side or upside down, while the smaller car that the SUV hit is damaged but still upright. I'm told that was because the high SUVs are more top-heavy.

I'm also convinced that the mentality of "Keeping up with the neighbours (or friends)" also enters into it in a lot of cases. The largest Mercedes SUV is not needed 'cos they never go out of town, but everyone else has one so they have to have one as well. Can't be let down at the school gate, you know!
Old Apr 21st 2019, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Gas was $172.9 at the PetroCan station at Oak and 41st in Vancouver around noon today ........... although that is usually one of the highest priced stations in the area.
Old Apr 21st 2019, 3:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

It's the same in North Van. We use our Chevrolet Spark EV whenever we can (when our daughter isn't using it!).
Old Apr 22nd 2019, 11:35 pm
Account Closed

One station in Delta today was spotted at $1.78. Apparently increase in price is on the way for middle of the week.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5191317/v...fyxxNLCRuywzOM
Old Apr 23rd 2019, 12:27 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Our hero Trump has failed to renew exemptions for countries who buy Iranian oil.
This will affect the world of finance in a number of ways.
1. I see that China, who takes about 50% of Iran's oil, will defy the US demand and it remains to be seen whether other counties follow their lead. Either way, the flow of Iranian oil is set to decrease further.
2. Waging economic warfare on a country who's perfectly capable by simple threats or military action of restricting or stopping the flow of oil through the Straits of Hormuz through which 30% of seaborn oil passes will do nothing but increase the price of oil.
3. Any open conflict between Iran and the US with it's allies in the region will definitely be bad news for gas prices and may be so for a long time to come.
The $1.78 reported in Delta today may well become the stuff of dreams if the demonic trio of Trump, Pompeo and Bolton get their way.
Old Apr 23rd 2019, 12:41 am
Account Closed

Some analysts seem to think prices might hit $2/liter mid summer at current rate.
Old Apr 23rd 2019, 12:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
2. Waging economic warfare on a country who's perfectly capable by simple threats or military action of restricting or stopping the flow of oil through the Straits of Hormuz through which 30% of seaborn oil passes will do nothing but increase the price of oil.
At first, yes. But if it results in economic crisis, longer-term could lead to a crash. Oil went from $147/barrel to $33, Jul '08 to Feb '09.

Not that this is necessarily good or bad, or that any one thing will necessarily lead to another - I just see analysts insisting 'this can only push the price up' and don't share their certainty when there are many moving parts, raised prices themselves have consequences, and the next recession is coming nearer by the day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.