Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Back to the UK for a potential spouse or stay in Canada

Back to the UK for a potential spouse or stay in Canada

Old Dec 11th 2014, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back to the UK for a potential spouse or stay in Canada

Originally Posted by bats
You were happy enough to move away from this guy so why are you pining now? It dies sound as if you'll settle for him as you can't see yourself finding someone suitable in Van.
It could be the way I've read it of course.

Or you could settle and marry so you could have kids and then it doesn't happen.

Don't force it. Love is like a fart, if you have to force it, it's probably shit. Attrib Anon.
I am in a very similar situation to Bekiwoo, but am a fair bit older (and not getting better with age as per James M theory) so really the ticking clock even more so for me.

However the best bit of advice on this thread has been from you Bats "Love its like a fart!!" Bats that is perfect!! and hilarious!!

I have actually adpoted that philosophy now, i have decided that my life is here in Canada now, and with the exception of no significant other in it, is a better life than i had in the UK.

Bekiwoo its sounds as though you are also happier here than you were in UK, so.... just ride it out.... enjoy what you have, stick with whats best for your life!! There is still lots of time for you, and even for a child. Going back to the UK could end up like the "fart scenario", Im not mocking as i understand your predicament, I am there too.

Ive decided having a significant other in one's life is not the be all and end all, im enjoying what I have and not forcing the issue......like Bats says.
Old Dec 11th 2014, 6:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

There is always the, you will find someone when your not expecting to saying as well, its what happened with me. I stopped looking, carried on with life and out of the blue met as close a perfect match as I could hope for.

Maybe there is some truth in that saying, who knows.
Old Dec 12th 2014, 12:38 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
There is always the, you will find someone when your not expecting to saying as well, its what happened with me. I stopped looking, carried on with life and out of the blue met as close a perfect match as I could hope for.

A lot of truth in that, being happy with your lot and not actively looking for Mr or Mrs Right stops being one desperate and needy and potentials usually run from or exploit desperate and needy. It's probably Imodium for romance.
Old Dec 12th 2014, 1:57 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

That is very very true!
Old Dec 12th 2014, 2:06 am
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Not if they are bald by 35
If I end up looking anything like Jean Luc Picard I'll be happy enough to be honest.
Old Dec 12th 2014, 3:04 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I met my OH unexpectedly, I knew him for two years before we got together and bam, one day it all happened, 15 years on its still happening. Falling in love is unexpectedly easy when the right one pops up. I was 29.
Old Dec 12th 2014, 3:11 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
I met my OH unexpectedly, I knew him for two years before we got together and bam, one day it all happened, 15 years on its still happening. Falling in love is unexpectedly easy when the right one pops up. I was 29.
My GF found an old online profile on one of the dating sites I had not used in forever, several years and I had forgotten about it, she happened to send a message, and it intrigued me enough to write back, and poof happened to be the best thing to happen.

Up until her, I had never had any success in online dating, found it a waste of time and totally stopped looking.

If I sit down and look back over the last 10 years, even things that seemed bad at the time, turned out to be good things since if any of those things had not happened, I would not have been able to meet her, amazing sometimes the things that are connected and how even some small things in life can change your direction, just we don't always see it at the time its happening.
Old Dec 12th 2014, 2:40 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

1/ Football

2/ Beer

3/ Women

That's what Hooters gets.
Old Dec 12th 2014, 8:08 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

If I sit down and look back over the last 10 years, even things that seemed bad at the time, turned out to be good things since if any of those things had not happened, I would not have been able to meet her, amazing sometimes the things that are connected and how even some small things in life can change your direction, just we don't always see it at the time its happening.
Yes, the connections when one looks back are always intriguing. There's a lot to be said for intuition and something to be said for destiny. You may like the book "The Alchemist" if you have not already read it.
Old Dec 12th 2014, 9:40 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Up until her, I had never had any success in online dating, found it a waste of time and totally stopped looking.
Perhaps I'm naive but I'd like a bit more honesty from them. They lure you in with "free" profiles that match you - sometimes there's the implication of paying for more than the first ones - and then you find that the matching profiles require you to pay to make contact or, worse, only brief details are in the profile and you have to pay just to read the extra.

Then you pay and find the person is fixed up.

Or it's free for you to make contact but you have to pay to open a reply and they are rejecting you.

I had a bit of luck from one or two and a lot of luck from one that was totally free on the website for Venue listings magazine!

I met my wife on line but not a dating site.
Old Dec 14th 2014, 12:38 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

I feel the same about it. Although this is how met the person in the UK but we became friends instead of a couple - about the only success story for me.

Ive used it out here but mostly just tinder, which is really not good. There are a lot of dodgy attached/married men on their looking for 'discreet fun' - annoys me when someone is attached and potentially cheating, regardless of them being honest about it
Old Dec 14th 2014, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

I feel the same about it. Although this is how met the person in the UK but we became friends instead of a couple - about the only success story for me.

Ive used it out here but mostly just tinder, which is really not good. There are a lot of dodgy attached/married men on their looking for 'discreet fun' - annoys me when someone is attached and potentially cheating, regardless of them being honest about it
The amount of disgusting screenshots I've seen of how men behave on there is unbelievable
Old Dec 14th 2014, 1:58 pm
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by ChrisBan
The amount of disgusting screenshots I've seen of how men behave on there is unbelievable
haha yeah - some of them are so funny though. So many strange people out there
Old Dec 14th 2014, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

haha yeah - some of them are so funny though. So many strange people out there
They are indeed! I find it mostly frustrating when girls match with you, you try talking to them and they don't say anything... well why swipe right then, at least unmatch me
Old Dec 15th 2014, 1:32 am
Account Closed

Luckily I never had to deal with all the apps and stuff out there now...lol

I know of Tinder, but luckily never had to experience it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.