Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Any of you English Patriots in Canada flying the cross tomorrow?

Any of you English Patriots in Canada flying the cross tomorrow?

Old Apr 23rd 2007, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

adiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to all
Default Re: Any of you English Patriots in Canada flying the cross tomorrow?

Originally Posted by Madmac
Canadians round here in my little part of Ontario display the Maple leaf because they are proud of their country (and possibly a little confused when you ask them to explain why).

Yes, that's right - we barbarous celts love to wind up you southern sophisticates whilst knowing full well that you are so confident in your nationality you can easily ignore our petty displays.

Thank you for explaining that little bit of psychology to me.
Because youre a "celt" and im not, doesnt necessarily mean that i live further south than you.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 12:58 am
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by adiestubbs
Because youre a "celt" and im not, doesnt necessarily mean that i live further south than you.
I live in Canada and your point is?
Old Apr 24th 2007, 2:14 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Yesterday I saw gangs of drunken men in white T shirts with red crosses, one was waving a white flag with a red cross. This seemed a curious display and I don't remember any such thing in England. No one turned a hair as here, in Las Vegas, drunkenness and curious clothing is de rigueur. Still, it did make me wonder when St. George's flag, which I remember as symbolising the NF (and later the BNP) became an acceptable thing to wave if you didn't intend to bash a brown person or foreign football supporter with the flagstaff.

Has there been some sort of national false memory syndrome whereby the flag has become retrospectively significant?
Old Apr 24th 2007, 2:31 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Yesterday I saw gangs of drunken men in white T shirts with red crosses, one was waving a white flag with a red cross. This seemed a curious display and I don't remember any such thing in England. No one turned a hair as here, in Las Vegas, drunkenness and curious clothing is de rigueur. Still, it did make me wonder when St. George's flag, which I remember as symbolising the NF (and later the BNP) became an acceptable thing to wave if you didn't intend to bash a brown person or foreign football supporter with the flagstaff.

Has there been some sort of national false memory syndrome whereby the flag has become retrospectively significant?
It's compulsory to wave it during the Euro football championships so people know we aren't Scottish or Welsh.

No offence meant to the Scots or Welsh BTW
Old Apr 24th 2007, 3:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

St. George's flag, which I remember as symbolising the NF (and later the BNP)
Are you sure about that? You're older than me but iirc, they marched under the union flag. I've never seen a St George's cross in any archive footage. I thought the St George's cross became the "thing to wave if you didn't intend to bash a brown person or foreign football supporter" for that reason.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 4:13 am
...in these shoes?

ellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to behold

Devoltion. When the Scottish Parliament devolved the English national celebration seemed to start. Perhaps trying to find a national identity?
Old Apr 24th 2007, 4:49 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Are you sure about that? You're older than me but iirc, they marched under the union flag. I've never seen a St George's cross in any archive footage.
You may be right about that. I'm not certain.

I thought the St George's cross became the "thing to wave if you didn't intend to bash a brown person or foreign football supporter" for that reason.
If so, I don't think that is the case any longer.

TBH I find the whole flag flying thing a bit dodgy. Fair enough if the flag is on the back of your boat or if you're at the World Cup but otherwise it smacks of jingoism.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 4:51 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by ellsie
Perhaps trying to find a national identity?
Ugh! What a ghastly idea, I've nothing in common with the people from outside the M25.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 5:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

If so, I don't think that is the case any longer.
Agreed, the BNP are actively associating themselves with it now. I just wanted to point out that it wasn't a part of NF/BNP marches way back when.

Don't give them the hits by clicking on this link, but this is what it says:

"Although a few tabloid newspapers have lately and cynically jumped on the bandwagon, it has been the BNP over the past four years that has been the driving force to promote the consciousness of the red and white in England... The St. George flag has featured prominently at all national and local events and the party has publicly supported the campaign to have St. George’s Day recognised as a national holiday in England."
Old Apr 24th 2007, 7:40 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Ugh! What a ghastly idea, I've nothing in common with the people from outside the M25.
Did the M25 exist when you left the UK?
Old Apr 24th 2007, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
What's being Canadian?
A BIG part of it is "Not Being American."
Old Apr 24th 2007, 11:13 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Did the M25 exist when you left the UK?
Bits of it. The truth is that I find it difficult to relate to people from outside the North Circular but I don't like to say that because it sounds a bit parochial. The M25 is a handy reference point even if it includes some areas I find a bit remote from civilisation.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

betterskierthanthewife will become famous soon enoughbetterskierthanthewife will become famous soon enough

Agreed, the BNP are actively associating themselves with it now. I just wanted to point out that it wasn't a part of NF/BNP marches way back when.

Don't give them the hits by clicking on this link, but this is what it says:

"Although a few tabloid newspapers have lately and cynically jumped on the bandwagon, it has been the BNP over the past four years that has been the driving force to promote the consciousness of the red and white in England... The St. George flag has featured prominently at all national and local events and the party has publicly supported the campaign to have St. George’s Day recognised as a national holiday in England."
I think the BNP are just trying to big themselves up and take credit where it isn't due. The sea-change in using the cross as a postivie symbol of national identity came about with hosting the Euro 96 football competition. Waving the flag became very popular at the actual matches and is sprung from there. Since then at other major tournaments it has also been the thing to do aided by freebies from companies wishing to associate themselves with hype.

I guess the reason that the cross has been used rather than the union flag is the increasing push for devolution from the rest of the UK and also that the hard core hooligan element with links to the far right that prominantly followed England in the late 80s and early 90s more closely linked themselves to the union flag.

Outside of the major football tournaments you still see very few flags on display, although probably a few more than in past years - certainly they are far far less numerous than in countries like the US.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 3:20 am
Forum Regular

moonraker is just really nicemoonraker is just really nicemoonraker is just really nicemoonraker is just really nicemoonraker is just really nicemoonraker is just really nicemoonraker is just really nicemoonraker is just really nicemoonraker is just really nice

Outside of the major football tournaments you still see very few flags on display, although probably a few more than in past years - certainly they are far far less numerous than in countries like the US.[/QUOTE]

I guess it depends where you are in the UK. My neighbour in Derbyshire flies a huge St Georges flag every year, which stays up until it eventually becomes a rag. With no thought for the taste police he also puts up a horrible display of Xmas lights for about 3 weeks over the Christmas period, a grotesque parody of a practice inherited from the USA. Truly repulsive and wasteful of energy. (bah humbug):curse:

Last edited by moonraker; Apr 25th 2007 at 3:33 am. Reason: revised info.