British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Any of you English Patriots in Canada flying the cross tomorrow? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/any-you-english-patriots-canada-flying-cross-tomorrow-444093/)

Danny B Apr 22nd 2007 1:49 am

Any of you English Patriots in Canada flying the cross tomorrow?

It's hard to fly a flag on a motorbike but I will be wearing red and white pants ;)

Tell me, do those ghastly English pubs you find in the major cities have a St George's special menu etc or is it completely forgotten about in Canada?

The Maple Leaf in Covent Gdn was heaving last year on Canada day.

Steve_P Apr 22nd 2007 2:53 am

Re: Any of you English Patriots in Canada flying the cross tomorrow?

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 4680731)
It's hard to fly a flag on a motorbike but I will be wearing red and white pants ;)

Tell me, do those ghastly English pubs you find in the major cities have a St George's special menu etc or is it completely forgotten about in Canada?

The Maple Leaf in Covent Gdn was heaving last year on Canada day.

Just curious, when did St. George's day become an an event of any kind in the UK?

When I left in 1963 there was no recognition of this day.:confused::confused:

Danny B Apr 22nd 2007 3:46 am

Originally Posted by Steve_P (Post 4680919)
Just curious, when did St. George's day become an an event of any kind in the UK?

It even has it's own website now http://www.stgeorgesday.com/home

The trouble is, if you fly an England flag outside your own home you will either be considered a racist or a football lout :(
A far cry from all the houses I saw in BC which had a Maple Leaf flying on the front porch.

PaulCall Apr 22nd 2007 4:07 am

there is a difference here......Canadians actually have genuine pride of their country

Alberta_Rose Apr 22nd 2007 4:08 am

Originally Posted by Steve_P (Post 4680919)

It was previously only really observed by the scouting association, with St George's Day parades followed by a church service when my brothers (and then my sons) were involved.

Tiffin Tease Apr 22nd 2007 4:18 am

I still maintain, as I did in a thread back about St. Patrick's Day, we need to make it a big event and people can dress up as dragons/George or wear dragon deely boppers, maybe a couple swords or flags on them instead??? LOL

I personally don't celebrate it, not because I am not patriotic but rather that, as someone else has pointed out, it's not really got positive associations at present - that would be nice to change... it really does make me smile when I see the flags out and proud in any country

claire bob and matt Apr 22nd 2007 4:40 am

My local pub's having a big St George's do?

C

moonraker Apr 22nd 2007 4:44 am

Originally Posted by claire bob and matt (Post 4681181)
My local pub's having a big St George's do?

C

One good reason to be out of the country then.:thumbup:

Steve_P Apr 22nd 2007 7:10 am

Originally Posted by Morwenna (Post 4681091)
It was previously only really observed by the scouting association, with St George's Day parades followed by a church service when my brothers (and then my sons) were involved.

As I said I don't remember anyone making any sort of special effort on that particular day.

Perhaps I didn't notice because it's also my birthday and I could have been a little self absorbed back then (not that I'm really any different today). ;):D:o

Thought I'd better add that last bit before Butch did. :p:rofl::rofl:

bazzz Apr 22nd 2007 7:36 am

God no. I'm embarrassed enough as it is about being English without drawing more attention to it.

Tangram Apr 22nd 2007 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Steve_P (Post 4681833)
As I said I don't remember anyone making any sort of special effort on that particular day.

Perhaps I didn't notice because it's also my birthday and I could have been a little self absorbed back then (not that I'm really any different today). ;):D:o

Thought I'd better add that last bit before Butch did. :p:rofl::rofl:

Damn....beat me to it !

Steve_P Apr 22nd 2007 8:46 am

Originally Posted by Tangram (Post 4682090)
Damn....beat me to it !

Oi, you're not supposed to agree. :mad::p:rofl:

Almost Canadian Apr 22nd 2007 8:54 am

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 4681041)
The trouble is, if you fly an England flag outside your own home you will either be considered a racist

By whom ?

polarbearmum Apr 22nd 2007 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 4682195)
By whom ?

government. From what my sister said it certainly happened during world cup. people were told they were not allowed to fly the georges' cross as it could affend other nationalities living in britain. Yeah so my sister, who disllikes football went out and bought a flag....... Umm me thinks she was looking for a fight, but nothing happened.

Almost Canadian Apr 22nd 2007 11:51 am

Originally Posted by polarbearmum (Post 4682733)
government. From what my sister said it certainly happened during world cup. people were told they were not allowed to fly the georges' cross as it could affend other nationalities living in britain. Yeah so my sister, who disllikes football went out and bought a flag....... Umm me thinks she was looking for a fight, but nothing happened.

So which members of the Government said this to your sister ?

Legally, they cannot prevent anyone flying a St George's Cross and I doubt that any public servant would be stupid to try and enforce such a rule. As per usual, I suspect that this is "law by media" once again :blink: