British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Any of you English Patriots in Canada flying the cross tomorrow? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/any-you-english-patriots-canada-flying-cross-tomorrow-444093/)

ellsie Apr 22nd 2007 2:18 pm

Re: Any of you English Patriots in Canada flying the cross tomorrow?

Originally Posted by Steve_P (Post 4681833)
As I said I don't remember anyone making any sort of special effort on that particular day.

Perhaps I didn't notice because it's also my birthday and I could have been a little self absorbed back then (not that I'm really any different today)

Thought I'd better add that last bit before Butch did. :p:rofl::rofl:

It seems to be only in the last few years that it has become more celebrated. My OH bad.andy will be flying the flag at the battlefield tomorrow where we work. Perhaps it will stop people asking if he's Australian :rofl: I'm Scottish so I'll be ignoring it as usual.

JAJ Apr 22nd 2007 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 4680731)
It's hard to fly a flag on a motorbike but I will be wearing red and white pants ;)

Tell me, do those ghastly English pubs you find in the major cities have a St George's special menu etc or is it completely forgotten about in Canada?

The Maple Leaf in Covent Gdn was heaving last year on Canada day.

I would have thought that if you migrated to Canada and made Canada your home, you would want to fly the Canadian flag instead.

At the very least, if you choose to fly an English flag you should also fly a Canadian flag and respect the proper order of precedence:
http://www.pch.gc.ca/progs/cpsc-ccsp/etiquette/2_e.cfm

fishfinger Apr 22nd 2007 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 4683201)
I would have thought that if you migrated to Canada and made Canada your home, you would want to fly the Canadian flag instead.

At the very least, if you choose to fly an English flag you should also fly a Canadian flag and respect the proper order of precedence:

I love that!

When it was the World Cup, the kids made some England flags and displayed them on their bedroom window. Everyone either asked us if we were Swiss or why we had the Red Cross symbol on our window?!

MB-Realtor Apr 22nd 2007 3:03 pm

My youngest son just put a " English & Proud of It" bumper sticker on his jeep today.

Its his first car, he's been washing up, and peeling potatoes and carrots at a local restaurant to earn this car. He was 17 in March. :thumbsup:

I doubt he would have been able to buy and run a car at his age in the UK.

For those who care its a bright red 95 Jeep,2/4 wheel drive, and great fun I'm just a little bit jealous. :o

JAJ Apr 22nd 2007 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by MB-Realtor (Post 4683227)
My youngest son just put a " English & Proud of It" bumper sticker on his jeep today.

Does he not want to be Canadian then?

hot wasabi peas Apr 22nd 2007 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 4683248)

What's being Canadian?

JAJ Apr 22nd 2007 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas (Post 4683281)
What's being Canadian?

Can't you say that about any nationality?

Why on earth would someone living in Canada, who (presumably) sees Canada as home, want to fly any flag other than the Canadian flag?

hot wasabi peas Apr 22nd 2007 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 4683286)

To some extent but being Canadian is really rather meaningless. I suspect that defining being Chinese, Scottish or Inuit is a lot easier than defining being Canadian.

Why on earth would someone living in Canada, who (presumably) sees Canada as home, want to fly any flag other than the Canadian flag?

Because in Canada, people are free to identify themselves however they wish and it's not considered a big deal (generally).

I know people born and raised in Canada who would never consider themselves Canadian nor would they ever fly the maple leaf. I know recent immigrants to Canada who consider themselves truly Canadian. And I know a lot of people who consider themselves Canadian but also Ukrainian, Polish, English etc... because they choose to acknowledge the influence in their sense of self of the country from which they came. Home may be where the heart is but for many expats that sense of home and heart is often split between where they are and where they are from.

Danny B Apr 22nd 2007 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 4683201)

Well as I am in London, England the above isn't applicable to me.
But if I were in Canada then yes, I would be celebrating Canada day just like the rest of the country.

Riding to work this morning there was a sea of red & white flags, people having street parties, dragons parading up the road, and a general feeling of national pride.

Then my Daughter came into my bedroom and woke me up...

printer Apr 22nd 2007 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 4682747)
So which members of the Government said this to your sister ?

Legally, they cannot prevent anyone flying a St George's Cross and I doubt that any public servant would be stupid to try and enforce such a rule. As per usual, I suspect that this is "law by media" once again :blink:

I remember this. There was the usual stories in the press about certain companies refusing to let their workers or van drivers display the flags.
Cannot remember any details but got a feeling the "Sun" started some "Fly the Flag" campaign because of it.
Probably find the "truth" was stretched a little. ;)

adiestubbs Apr 22nd 2007 11:42 pm

I think the english are confident enough in themselves not to worry about flags and emblems all the time. In my experience, canadians abroad display the maple leaf so people know they are not americans and the scots, irish, welsh etc like to fly their flags in a "rebellious" fashion to try and wind up the english. Even though we couldn't care less.

Danny B Apr 23rd 2007 1:30 am

I don't ever recall seeing this "proper order of precedence" outside my local British Legion in Vancouver years ago.
The Union was certainly more prominant than the Maple Leaf.

betterskierthanthewife Apr 23rd 2007 4:03 am

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 4683248)

Presumably you are also dubious of people celebrating their irish, italian etc heritage?

Tiffin Tease Apr 23rd 2007 4:17 am

That is a very odd thing to say - does he not want to be Canadian... my husband and I have chosen to move to this lovely country because we know we want to be here and embrace all that is Canadian.

However, this does not mean I am going to pretend I am not British, specifically English, as I wouldn't expect someone from Ireland, Scotland, Wales, France, China, etc etc etc (you get the picture) to just up and dismiss their heritage. Just because a person may move on to a new place does not mean they are not proud of the country that helped to shape the person they now are.

And, as an aside - I saw an elderly couple driving around the other day in a Jaguar with a Union Jack as their front car plate, made me smile... as does seeing all the Canadian flags flying with the same amount of pride :)

Madmac Apr 23rd 2007 8:23 am

Originally Posted by adiestubbs (Post 4684446)
I think the english are confident enough in themselves not to worry about flags and emblems all the time. In my experience, canadians abroad display the maple leaf so people know they are not americans and the scots, irish, welsh etc like to fly their flags in a "rebellious" fashion to try and wind up the english. Even though we couldn't care less.

Canadians round here in my little part of Ontario display the Maple leaf because they are proud of their country (and possibly a little confused when you ask them to explain why).

Yes, that's right - we barbarous celts love to wind up you southern sophisticates whilst knowing full well that you are so confident in your nationality you can easily ignore our petty displays. ;)

Thank you for explaining that little bit of psychology to me. :zzz: