Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Annoying things you encounter on Canadian roads

Annoying things you encounter on Canadian roads

Old Oct 11th 2011, 3:57 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Annoying things you encounter on Canadian roads

Lots of accidents over the long weekend....one now dead moron managed to slice his car into two while street racing according to police in the GTA

Police also complained that a lot of people still driving around with no sit belts on In this day and age, shouldn't that be one of the 1st things you do before you start the engine?
Old Oct 11th 2011, 4:00 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
Police also complained that a lot of people still driving around with no sit belts on In this day and age, shouldn't that be one of the 1st things you do before you start the engine?
Some people prefer not to do so. I don't really have a problem with that - it's their life.

For myself, I grew up with them so it feels weird not wearing one. I always belt up.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of accidents over the long weekend....one now dead moron managed to slice his car into two while street racing according to police in the GTA

Yes that along with turning on your laptop, sending off 5 Tweets and making a call or 3
Old Oct 11th 2011, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Some people prefer not to do so. I don't really have a problem with that - it's their life.

For myself, I grew up with them so it feels weird not wearing one. I always belt up.
Wish you would some times.... boom boom
Old Oct 11th 2011, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Cylclists that are under some strange impresion that they should ride against the flow of traffic Just drove up to get some fuel and was met by a mother and 3 kids in a residential area ridding on the wrong side of the road The mother insists that she does infact love her kids and its the correct way to ride
Old Oct 11th 2011, 4:06 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gremmie
Cylclists that are under some strange impresion that they should ride against the flow of traffic Just drove up to get some fuel and was met by a mother and 3 kids in a residential area ridding on the wrong side of the road The mother insists that she does infact love her kids and its the correct way to ride

Was this in the boonies?
Old Oct 11th 2011, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Was this in the boonies?
No in Niverville 5000ish population
Old Oct 11th 2011, 4:25 pm
Banned

No in Niverville 5000ish population
So it is bonnies, compared to a 100k-500k population size
Old Oct 11th 2011, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

So it is bonnies, compared to a 100k-500k population size
15 mins from Winnipeg is not boonies but it is a bonny little town
Old Oct 11th 2011, 4:27 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

All the better to see trafic coming towards you and make an informed decision as a parent about whether they have seen you or not. Cant do that with cars coming up behind me.

For now we ride "against the flow" for that reason. When the kids are older and more able to stick close to the shoulder then I will teach them to change sides, but for now, while they are small, its against the flow, and it is safer that way.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 4:28 pm
Marmite Lover

AishaA will become famous soon enoughAishaA will become famous soon enough

How prevalent is drinking and driving here in Canada. Is the general attitude one of live and let live or zero-tolerance?
Old Oct 11th 2011, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by iaink
All the better to see trafic coming towards you and make an informed decision as a parent about whether they have seen you or not. Cant do that with cars coming up behind me.

For now we ride "against the flow" for that reason. When the kids are older and more able to stick close to the shoulder then I will teach them to change sides, but for now, while they are small, its against the flow, and it is safer that way.
Its all so against the law.... buy some mirrors
Old Oct 11th 2011, 4:32 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Its all so against the law.... buy some mirrors
I dont care, This way the kids are infront of me, I can see them, I can see the traffic coming, and I can get them out of the way if necessary. If I lived in town with more traffic around I may think differently, but where I live I am not going to take a chance of getting hit from behind by the trucks that speed round the corners with no heed for the limit or anyone else on the road. Ive had to hit the ditch before now to avoid getting creamed, from behind I would have had no chance.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 4:34 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AishaA
How prevalent is drinking and driving here in Canada. Is the general attitude one of live and let live or zero-tolerance?
It's usual but accompanied by much sanctimony. Operation of a snowmobile seems to be impossible when sober.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by iaink
I dont care, This way the kids are infront of me, I can see them, I can see the traffic coming, and I can get them out of the way if necessary. If I lived in town with more traffic around I may think differently, but where I live I am not going to take a chance of getting hit from behind by the trucks that speed round the corners with no heed for the limit or anyone else on the road. Ive had to hit the ditch before now to avoid getting creamed, from behind I would have had no chance.
So your kisd are only in front of you if you ride against the flow??? you could try riding with the flow with the kids in frony, thats not against the law

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.