Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Advise on 4 way stop signs at junctions

Advise on 4 way stop signs at junctions

Old Apr 14th 2008, 5:28 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advise on 4 way stop signs at junctions

Originally Posted by Stu-pot
Can any of you shed any light on these junctions, is it give way to the left or is there more to it.
Ickie Bickie says:
http://www.icbc.com/licensing/drivin...rsections.html
Old Apr 14th 2008, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond repute

many thanks for the replys, if i remember right no-one seemed to have a clue at that junction and even when i waited till i was the last but one car there and thought i had right of way, some sweet old dear mouthed someting at me that can't be repeated
Old Apr 14th 2008, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Thanks Ro, what would we do without you
Old Apr 14th 2008, 5:36 pm
GO FLAMES GO!!!!

Steve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by iaink
You would think they had better things to do.

Yes, you can get a ticket, but they dont rigidly enforce it around here...Ive seen them lay in wait one time here in more than ten years driving in this area...it does happen, but Im not loosing sleep over it... fortunately for me I saw them before they had a chance to see me....they pulled the guy in front over!
Calgary cops obviously have nothing better to do! I saw them at the same Stop sign 4 weeks in a row hiding in the bus shelter!
Old Apr 14th 2008, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G586
it's in the order you arrive at the junction, I think...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-way_stop
Thanks Ro, what would we do without you
I'm beginning to join Daft Batty with my invisible posts!
Old Apr 15th 2008, 2:30 am
Forum Regular

gapbap has a spectacular aura aboutgapbap has a spectacular aura aboutgapbap has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by bazzz
Basically, no-one really knows what to do. So just be confident and plough on through. Everyone else will assume you that you know the rules and have right of way.
Bazz I have read a few threads today and all your replies have made me laugh out loud!!! My cat shot out the room at one point because I freaked her out. Keep it up!!!!!
Old Apr 15th 2008, 2:40 am
BE Enthusiast

tallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to behold

Yes, you can get a ticket, but they dont rigidly enforce it around here...Ive seen them lay in wait one time here in more than ten years driving in this area...it does happen, but Im not loosing sleep over it... fortunately for me I saw them before they had a chance to see me....they pulled the guy in front over!
My first traffic offence in 18 years driving was 6 months ago for not stopping completely at a stop sign. A big fat fine and points
Old Apr 15th 2008, 4:16 am
BE Enthusiast

joelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to behold

I got a ticket for not coming to a complete 3 second stop when turning right on a red (seems i only stopped for 1 1/4 seconds, 's true)

What is good about the 4-way stop rule is that it is applied when traffic lights brake down. None of this free-for-all that you get in the UK.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 8:37 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

Parking caught me out when we first got here, I got ticketed for parking with the car facing the wrong direction.

It seem you have to park facing the way that traffic flows, and not anywhich way you please as in the UK.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 8:45 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MB-Realtor
Parking caught me out when we first got here, I got ticketed for parking with the car facing the wrong direction.

It seem you have to park facing the way that traffic flows, and not anywhich way you please as in the UK.
Thats one of those local jurisdictional issues I think...its not universal.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 11:28 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

Thats one of those local jurisdictional issues I think...its not universal.
I should know by now, NEVER make sweeping statements about Canada.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 12:28 am
BE Enthusiast

dthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond repute

Hi folks, it has dawned on me that with my pending reccie trip only 5wks away i will probably becoming across a few of these in and around Toronto. The last one i found was in Maple ridge, the first time it was clear and no problem but the second time was a nightmare and i avoided it thereafter. Can any of you shed any light on these junctions, is it give way to the left or is there more to it.

Stu-pot
Do what is done in Montreal, QC (Canada): just blow the stop sign.