Invisible fences

Old Apr 13th 2008, 10:57 pm
Account Closed

saskia07 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Invisible fences

Hi

I'm thinking ahead, and wondered if anyone's had experience of an invisible fence? I mean one of the electric 'force fields' which keeps the dog in, without the need for fencing the whole property. (I realise, before anyone says that it only keeps the dog in, and there are possibly other things I may want to keep out.)

I'm also in two minds as I don't like the thought of my pup being 'tazered' if she decides to take a hike......

I've read that some breeds, like Labs simply ignore the fence and shoot off anyway?!

Cheers, Sas xx
Old Apr 13th 2008, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Invisible fences

My old landlord had one for their dog in the UK and it seemed to work well; she could run all over their property but never went outside the gates or fence. No idea what kind of dog that was, though!
Old Apr 13th 2008, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saskia07
Hi

I'm thinking ahead, and wondered if anyone's had experience of an invisible fence? I mean one of the electric 'force fields' which keeps the dog in, without the need for fencing the whole property. (I realise, before anyone says that it only keeps the dog in, and there are possibly other things I may want to keep out.)

I'm also in two minds as I don't like the thought of my pup being 'tazered' if she decides to take a hike......

I've read that some breeds, like Labs simply ignore the fence and shoot off anyway?!

Cheers, Sas xx
Ours works great. Worked well on a seemingly untrainable whippet/terrier/lab cross, and on our much more intelligent (and eager to please) Border Collie/Chow cross. Ours doesn't use shock collars. I really don't agree with them at all! Our dogs get a warning beep as they get too close to the boundary, followed by a jet of compressed air (can get citronella, too) under their chin if they don't heed the audible warning.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 11:05 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by AlexInBC
Ours works great. Worked well on a seemingly untrainable whippet/terrier/lab cross, and on our much more intelligent (and eager to please) Border Collie/Chow cross. Ours doesn't use shock collars. I really don't agree with them at all! Our dogs get a warning beep as they get too close to the boundary, followed by a jet of compressed air (can get citronella, too) under their chin if they don't heed the audible warning.
Hi

I like the sound of the citronella option, don't fancy my dog getting tazered. There are a few people I wouldn't mind having the option to zap, but not the dog.
Would be good to know what brand your fence is, and where you got it from?
Cheers Sas xx
Old Apr 13th 2008, 11:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saskia07
Hi

I like the sound of the citronella option, don't fancy my dog getting tazered. There are a few people I wouldn't mind having the option to zap, but not the dog.
Would be good to know what brand your fence is, and where you got it from?
Cheers Sas xx
The brand is Multivet. We got it off eBay but the seller we used isn't offering any at the moment. Actually, I've just checked the multivet site ( http://www.multivet.net/en/products/ )and it looks like they don't make them anymore
Old Apr 13th 2008, 11:24 pm
Account Closed

No sweat, will see if I can find an alternative....like the citronella option best.

Thanks

Sas
Old Apr 14th 2008, 12:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

We have had an invisible fench for over a year now which covers our yard and the neighbours. It has worked very well with our two labs.They tested its limits a few times when we first got it, but now a year later neither of the dogs even have to wear the collar. They just know that they can only go so far.

We are very pleased with our initial investment.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 1:46 am
Account Closed

Thanks for all the info, folks. Sas x
Old Apr 16th 2008, 2:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond repute

Always makes me think of the Schwarzenegger film "The Running Man".

(Those who've seen it will know what I mean).
Old Apr 16th 2008, 2:33 am
BE Enthusiast

dawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nice

My dog would be GONE, one sniff of fresh air and he'd be outta there!

Another untrainable dog. I have the citronella bark collar from multivet and it works a treat, i have to say that i've heard him bark only a few times since i got it which is pleasant on the ears and he smells good too