Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Advise on 4 way stop signs at junctions

Advise on 4 way stop signs at junctions

Old Apr 14th 2008, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Stu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Advise on 4 way stop signs at junctions

Hi folks, it has dawned on me that with my pending reccie trip only 5wks away i will probably becoming across a few of these in and around Toronto. The last one i found was in Maple ridge, the first time it was clear and no problem but the second time was a nightmare and i avoided it thereafter. Can any of you shed any light on these junctions, is it give way to the left or is there more to it.

Stu-pot
Old Apr 14th 2008, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advise on 4 way stop signs at junctions

Originally Posted by Stu-pot
Hi folks, it has dawned on me that with my pending reccie trip only 5wks away i will probably becoming across a few of these in and around Toronto. The last one i found was in Maple ridge, the first time it was clear and no problem but the second time was a nightmare and i avoided it thereafter. Can any of you shed any light on these junctions, is it give way to the left or is there more to it.

Stu-pot
it's in the order you arrive at the junction, I think...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-way_stop

they are ok, people will let you know it's your turn!
Old Apr 14th 2008, 11:21 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Stu-pot
Watch out for 3-way junctions. We nearly got T-boned on one of those, the day after we arrived in Canada.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 11:47 am
Account Closed

Jolly Jack Tar is an unknown quantity at this point

When using a four way or a three way 'it is the person who arrives first and you must come to a complete stop dont just touch your brake. Out here on the prairies you could be there for two minutes waving each other on. most people are very courteous at these things. BUT a word to the wise.....always look at the drivers of the other cars, if they are old remember these points....
1. they own the road
2. they probably have been driving long before four ways were invented
3. and heres the clincher...... they were given their licence they took no test.

I work with a man who is coming up for sixty and he went to get his licence and they just gave it to him saying "you look like a sensible man who can drive here's your licence" !.

Anyway driving out here is fun, I went back to the UK last October was picked up by a friend at LGW and the roads I had driven three years previous absolutely terrified me.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 12:33 pm

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

It goes in the order you arrive.

Arrived at one yesterday and the nice man smiled at me and pointed, i went
Also remember that you can turn right on a red light, still cant get used to this one

Gill
Old Apr 14th 2008, 2:29 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Stu-pot
Basically, no-one really knows what to do. So just be confident and plough on through. Everyone else will assume you that you know the rules and have right of way.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 2:32 pm
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of

The confusion comes when two of you arrive at the same time in which case if two or more vehicles arrive at the same time the driver on the left yields to the driver on the right. They're hardly rocket science!
Old Apr 14th 2008, 3:01 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GavinR
The confusion comes when two of you arrive at the same time in which case if two or more vehicles arrive at the same time the driver on the left yields to the driver on the right. They're hardly rocket science!
Creates a problem when four arrive at once..or two from opposite sides both turning across traffic...

If in doubt, wave on the other guy. Youll feel a nice glow of whatever the opposite of selfishness is too GEneral rule in those curcumstances is either, whoever is in the largest vehicle goes first...or alternatively, whichever vehicle appears to have the least to lose goes first
Old Apr 14th 2008, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gill_andy_grew
Also remember that you can turn right on a red light, still cant get used to this one

Gill
Not directed at you Gill - I'm sure you already know - but in case a newbie to Canada reads this... Gill is correct, but missed out mentioning the fact that you MUST come to a complete stop before turning right on a red light, even if you can see that the road that you're entering is completely clear as you approach!
Old Apr 14th 2008, 3:27 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlexInBC
Not directed at you Gill - I'm sure you already know - but in case a newbie to Canada reads this... Gill is correct, but missed out mentioning the fact that you MUST come to a complete stop before turning right on a red light, even if you can see that the road that you're entering is completely clear as you approach!
Also that its not universal...sometimes it is prohibited by a sign at the intersection, and that in Quebec I believe its the opposite, its prohibited unless there is a sign at the intersection alowing it.

Also pedestrians still have the right of way, so you need to keep an eye open for them.

"Complete Stop" is a relative term though...just like it is at a 4 way stop. Unless you actually see a cruiser it seems a "rolling stop" is all most people actually do.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 3:28 pm
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlexInBC
and check for the signs that say you can't turn right on red
Old Apr 14th 2008, 3:30 pm

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

o yeah

But it was like a ghost town yesterday when i was driving, so i suppose everyone knew that this mad english women was on the roads

and parking, be careful, if in doubt park the car in the biggest space possable

gill
Old Apr 14th 2008, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Hi folks, it has dawned on me that with my pending reccie trip only 5wks away i will probably becoming across a few of these in and around Toronto.

Stu-pot
A FEW four-way stops? In TORONTO?

Mate, Toronto is the world leader in four-way stops. So just be sure you have the biggest car and the biggest cojones.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 4:53 pm
GO FLAMES GO!!!!

Steve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by iaink
Also that its not universal...sometimes it is prohibited by a sign at the intersection, and that in Quebec I believe its the opposite, its prohibited unless there is a sign at the intersection alowing it.

Also pedestrians still have the right of way, so you need to keep an eye open for them.

"Complete Stop" is a relative term though...just like it is at a 4 way stop. Unless you actually see a cruiser it seems a "rolling stop" is all most people actually do.
I have seen cops here in Calgary park their cruiser down a side street then hide in the bus shelter to catch people running stop signs
Old Apr 14th 2008, 5:01 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Steve&Tanya
I have seen cops here in Calgary park their cruiser down a side street then hide in the bus shelter to catch people running stop signs
You would think they had better things to do.

Yes, you can get a ticket, but they dont rigidly enforce it around here...Ive seen them lay in wait one time here in more than ten years driving in this area...it does happen, but Im not loosing sleep over it... fortunately for me I saw them before they had a chance to see me....they pulled the guy in front over!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.