Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

401 lane discipline.....or lack of!!

401 lane discipline.....or lack of!!

Old Apr 29th 2019, 8:57 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 401 lane discipline.....or lack of!!

Originally Posted by Siouxie
It doesn't appear to be illegal to pass / undertake in Ontario - it's not the same as the UK

https://www.ontario.ca/document/offi...ging-positions
Actually i went on police training course in the UK and its not actually illegal to undertake in the UK either
Old Apr 29th 2019, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
Actually i went on police training course in the UK and its not actually illegal to undertake in the UK either
Rule 163 of the highway Code says you should only overtake on the left (ie, undertake) if the car you're passing is signalling to turn right, and it is safe to do so (https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-high...oad-159-to-203)

Section 38 of the Road traffic Act says a breach of the highway code, whilst not an offence in itself, will tend to establish liability should criminal or civil proceedings be brought. (http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/...9880052_en.pdf)

So it rather depends on what anyone means by 'illegal'.
Old Apr 30th 2019, 2:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Unpopular opinion: People wouldn't undertake if people drove in the correct lane for the speed/manouevre they are performing. i.e. don't go 110 in the far left lane when you have plenty of room to move into the center/right lane and you aren't actually passing anyone! That is a big problem here.
Old Apr 30th 2019, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
Unpopular opinion: People wouldn't undertake if people drove in the correct lane for the speed/manouevre they are performing. i.e. don't go 110 in the far left lane when you have plenty of room to move into the center/right lane and you aren't actually passing anyone! That is a big problem here.
Exactly!....this is probably the main cause of undertaking...people simply get frustrated with some clown sitting in the outside lane doing 90kph when they should be in the inside lane - these people have zero concept of lane discipline.

They need an angry UK BMW driver to rocket up behind them and start rapidly flashing their lights, possibly may start to get the message then.
Old Apr 30th 2019, 8:55 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd

They need an angry UK BMW driver to rocket up behind them and start rapidly flashing their lights, possibly may start to get the message then.
Flash at them 100 times and some will move right, only to move left again the moment you pass. Most will slow down to show that they know you'rethere. Some will speed up as you pass them. One car I see on the way to work goes along slowly until you pull out to overtake then speeds up, if you give up and brake, so does he.

None of that gets on my tits as much as people who queue behind a slow moving car, very close to that car, so both or three or five have to be passed at once. Often one will pull out, failing to use the mirror, and will get a weary sigh from me. Once I tutted.

Last edited by dbd33; Apr 30th 2019 at 8:58 pm.
Old May 1st 2019, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Flash at them 100 times and some will move right, only to move left again the moment you pass. Most will slow down to show that they know you'rethere. Some will speed up as you pass them. One car I see on the way to work goes along slowly until you pull out to overtake then speeds up, if you give up and brake, so does he.

None of that gets on my tits as much as people who queue behind a slow moving car, very close to that car, so both or three or five have to be passed at once. Often one will pull out, failing to use the mirror, and will get a weary sigh from me. Once I tutted.
I dont like flashing the lights as I never liked it done to me especially when I was already doing 80-85mph, however some of the drivers on the 401 need it.....sitting in the outside lane at too slow a speed where its obvious that drivers behind them are getting irritated by them blocking the OVERTAKING lane.

But like you I have noticed the flashing of the lights for them to move over is more trouble than its worth here....they get quite indignant and decide to play games.... I shook my head at this point....and have actually tutted on more than one occasion but have since resigned myself to a deepening despair......
Old May 2nd 2019, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...eath-1.5118563

Buck a beer, bars able to open at 9 am, 120 km/h speed limit on the 401 (not sure what 120 km/h is in jurassic era units ....we're livin' da dream in Ontario, there eh. Doug Ford is the man of the people.

Note the last line of the article where it says slow moving people in the outer lane may be subject to fines.
Old May 2nd 2019, 11:23 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged

Buck a beer, bars able to open at 9 am, 120 km/h speed limit on the 401 (not sure what 120 km/h is in jurassic era units ....we're livin' da dream in Ontario, there eh. Doug Ford is the man of the people.

Note the last line of the article where it says slow moving people in the outer lane may be subject to fines.
How and where is beer a buck? Did they bring back 4oz glasses in Etobicoke?
Old May 2nd 2019, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

How and where is beer a buck? Did they bring back 4oz glasses in Etobicoke?
Good one...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...beer-1.4775959

It was some sort of challenge by 'the Doug' to get breweries to lower their prices and basically all but one brewery said it wasn't feasible and any beer at that price would be swill.

I hate to say it but the era of taverns in Ontario where 7 oz glasses of yellow water on trays of 'draft' (draught) seem to be over. The Morrissey, Canada Tavern in Toronto are gone I believe. KW had some when I was at university (Station Hotel in Kitchener comes to mind) but that era seems to be over.
Old May 2nd 2019, 1:10 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Good one...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...beer-1.4775959

It was some sort of challenge by 'the Doug' to get breweries to lower their prices and basically all but one brewery said it wasn't feasible and any beer at that price would be swill.

I hate to say it but the era of taverns in Ontario where 7 oz glasses of yellow water on trays of 'draft' (draught) seem to be over. The Morrissey, Canada Tavern in Toronto are gone I believe. KW had some when I was at university (Station Hotel in Kitchener comes to mind) but that era seems to be over.
He hasn't reduced the price of beer to a buck and that was his signature promise. He could have removed the Ontario portion of the tax to get the price down but he didn't. By his own standard his phase of governing has been a failure. He should quit in shame.
Old May 2nd 2019, 1:19 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

He hasn't reduced the price of beer to a buck and that was his signature promise. He could have removed the Ontario portion of the tax to get the price down but he didn't. By his own standard his phase of governing has been a failure. He should quit in shame.
He has no shame. All who oppose him are fake news. He is a dollar store Donald Trump. It bewilders me that Ontarians elected him but then when I look at the political pygmies elsewhere in provincial politics, not the least in Newfoundland, I understand. And despair. :-)
Old May 2nd 2019, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

As usual OPP seemed to have been brainwashed that speed kills, wrong wrong wrong....

Erratic aggressive lane changing, sometimes without or late signaling, tail gating, and complete lack of lane discipline, ie slow drivers sitting in outside lane is what cause accidents......plain and simple, OPP seem to be missing the point here. Speed kills on the highways like 401 because the aforementioned root of the problem is not being addressed! If speed kills then why is the autobahn in Germany not a death trap?? its actually very safe because people know how to drive....

Increasing the speed on the highways is good....but it should be part 2 of a two part law change.....introduce and enforce lane discipline along with safe distances between vehicles etc, once that is taking effect, THEN increase speed limits. Increasing speed limits as it stands.....yes could well result in more accidents......fines for slow drivers in the outside lane is the only part that makes sense!