Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

401 lane discipline.....or lack of!!

401 lane discipline.....or lack of!!

Old Apr 24th 2019, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute
Default 401 lane discipline.....or lack of!!

I know this may have be talked about before but felt like a need a rant about the above.....its drives me NUTS!!!!

There is zero lane discipline on the 401 and to make matters worse it is not enforced either. The OPP seem more interested in going after someone doing a little bit over the speed limit - rather than these idiots that undertake and swerve across all three lanes incessantly. Undertaking and swerving across all three lanes back and forth is way more dangerous than speeding....we only have to look at the autobahn to prove that, where I think its a 120kph minimum and people travel considerably faster than that ....however lane discipline on there is impeccable, which proves my point even more so.

There was a big thing made of the new law of pulling over into the other lane when you see an emergency/tow vehicle on the shoulder, I think they could do the same by publicising poor lane discipline which causes undertaking and erratic driving, as people get frustrated, and the no undertaking rule should be enforced. It just really irritates me, as its such poor driving.

I love Canada and the Canadians, but the standard of driving on the motorways in the UK is head and shoulders above the 401....its a disgrace, and I am really surprised there are not more accidents, tail gating is another poor driving habit, its rife on the 401. The only kind of responsible driving I have seen on the 401 is from truck drivers....as they must adhere to the rules of the road, which tells me that it is lack of enforcement of responsible driving that leaves the 401 in such a mess, it infuriates me everytime I have to drive on there, just really glad I don't have to do it everyday anymore!

Anyway thats my rant over! I feel better already.
Old Apr 24th 2019, 6:01 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 401 lane discipline.....or lack of!!

But, that's a given. In Canada the weather is terrible and the driving is terrible, no one expects otherwise. That's why I think it's a bit sanctimonious of immigrants to complain that drunk driving is usual here; it's not going to make matters significantly worse if drivers are drunk or stoned. Neither does it much matter if the cars wouldn't pass the MOT. People drive badly and there's no culture of wanting to drive better; it is how it is.
Old Apr 24th 2019, 7:07 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
People drive badly and there's no culture of wanting to drive better; it is how it is.
Unfortunately this is a culture that pervades much of canadian society.
I was personally dissuaded from buying a property before moving here because it broke the local bylaws and I foresaw expense in pulling it down. Now I'm here I realise that it didn't matter. You can apparently break as many bylaws as you want as long as no one complains. The property is still standing and nothing has changed.
My gripe is with people driving cars with only one headlight. Living out of town where street lighting is non existent seeing a single headlight approaching poses a serious problem. You never know whether it's a motor cycle or if it's a car which side the light's on. It's endemic where I live and nobody does anything about it, When I first moved here my wife and I made a game of it to see who could spot the most. It isn't as though it's difficult to spot but the police don't give a damn.
As the man says, it is how it is.

Old Apr 24th 2019, 11:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
Unfortunately this is a culture that pervades much of canadian society.
I was personally dissuaded from buying a property before moving here because it broke the local bylaws and I foresaw expense in pulling it down. Now I'm here I realise that it didn't matter. You can apparently break as many bylaws as you want as long as no one complains. The property is still standing and nothing has changed.
My gripe is with people driving cars with only one headlight. Living out of town where street lighting is non existent seeing a single headlight approaching poses a serious problem. You never know whether it's a motor cycle or if it's a car which side the light's on. It's endemic where I live and nobody does anything about it, When I first moved here my wife and I made a game of it to see who could spot the most. It isn't as though it's difficult to spot but the police don't give a damn.
As the man says, it is how it is.
My former next door neighbour didn't use his left and right turn indicators ever as he didn't want to have to pay for the replacement bulbs and likely having to go to get them refitted at a garage. He also didn't use snow tyres due to the cost of switching them over. He did get pulled over on a minor road that had raised manholes due to construction as he swerved to avoid the raised manholes and the police thought he was drunk. I'm sure he often drove with burnt out headlights.
Old Apr 25th 2019, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

But, that's a given. In Canada the weather is terrible and the driving is terrible, no one expects otherwise. That's why I think it's a bit sanctimonious of immigrants to complain that drunk driving is usual here; it's not going to make matters significantly worse if drivers are drunk or stoned. Neither does it much matter if the cars wouldn't pass the MOT. People drive badly and there's no culture of wanting to drive better; it is how it is.
i know its a given, just find it annoying and dangerous, and that the police or who ever instructs the police should get their priorities straight....speed isn't necessarily dangerous, the erratic and poor standard of driving, such that is seen day after day on the 401 is dangerous. But as you say its how it is......like the terrible vacation allowance my other pet hate about Canada! but thats another story!

I find the majority of truck drivers are good and courteous drivers, so it is possible for a culture to want to drive better....it just needs `encouragement`
Old Apr 25th 2019, 3:30 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't appear to be illegal to pass / undertake in Ontario - it's not the same as the UK

https://www.ontario.ca/document/offi...ging-positions
Old Apr 25th 2019, 5:00 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
It doesn't appear to be illegal to pass / undertake in Ontario - it's not the same as the UK

This.
Old Apr 25th 2019, 12:16 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
This.
Yes. I know. This morning I followed my usual wavering path, pass one on the left, pass one on the right, driving here is like pole bending on a horse. It's just a silly way to go along, only Canadians think it's reasonable to drive in any lane they fancy at any speed they fancy. It's odd because of them have been to America, they've seen how to drive properly, they're just not good at it.
Old Apr 25th 2019, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Shard
This.
That does suggest that you only overtake on the the left, even the diagram says that, but it is not stated that you cant pass in the right....thats the issue.
Old Apr 25th 2019, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Siouxie

Considering how extremly busy the 401 is.... the busiest highway in North America (the section near to Pearson) then I think they should make it law....maybe it will be after a more accidents.

I know that's how it is here, but I cant bring myself to do it like many others..
Old Apr 25th 2019, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes. I know. This morning I followed my usual wavering path, pass one on the left, pass one on the right, driving here is like pole bending on a horse. It's just a silly way to go along, only Canadians think it's reasonable to drive in any lane they fancy at any speed they fancy. It's odd because of them have been to America, they've seen how to drive properly, they're just not good at it.

So they don't do that in the states then? I thought all of North America drove that way, that's interesting.
Old Apr 25th 2019, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

CORRECTION TO PREVIOUS POSTS

I just read the "passing on the right" bit of that literature.....it was hidden by the street cars.....Hmmm that explains it then! there is no hope! Oh well back to what we originally said "its how it is" they did add that passing on the right is DANGEROUS! why allow it then!?? crazy!
Old Apr 25th 2019, 3:00 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Mediocrity. It's the Canadian way.
Old Apr 25th 2019, 3:01 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

If I had a microphone and loudspeaker in my car I'd be fighting all the time.
Old Apr 25th 2019, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute

I always thought driving here would be of a very ordered high standard, much like you get in Austria or Norway. Indeed, when I first came to Nova Scotia in 2001, cars moved very slowly and seemed to be generally courteous (perhaps because most cars were huge American clunkers that simply didn't do corners safely at anything more than a crawl). Since moving here I have been appalled at what I see. Tailgating, not putting on tail lights in dull weather, driving slowly in the outside lane, suddenly switching lane with no warning and obviously no attempt to use mirrors, moving into one's safety space, mirror-signal-manoeuvre being reduced to manoeuvre and then a signal when said manoeuvre is almost complete.

I have been driving since 1993 and never had an accident... until about 2 months ago when someone ploughed into me through a red light and wrote off my car. I am thinking about getting a dash board camera for my new car.

And as for that not wanting to improve attitude, roundabouts are the ultimate expression. I have even had discussions with some of my colleagues who (seemingly) struggle to see the use of indicators on a roundabout.

I genuinely felt safer driving in Sicily!

Last edited by Tumbling_Dice; Apr 25th 2019 at 4:50 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.