Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

401 lane discipline.....or lack of!!

401 lane discipline.....or lack of!!

Old Apr 26th 2019, 5:35 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 401 lane discipline.....or lack of!!

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I only drove the 401 once through Toronto and that was enough for me.

Isn't it the busiest freeway in North America?
It is indeed!

Brilliant photo of it on this article - and actually it's the busiest highway in the world! http://livetrucking.com/this-north-a...-in-the-world/

https://2ndchanceautoinsurance.ca/40...north-america/
Known as King’s Highway 401, the freeway also goes by its official name of the Macdonald–Cartier Freeway. A 400-Series Highway in the Canadian province of Ontario, the 401 stretches from Windsor to the Quebec border. The segment of Highway 401 passing through Toronto is not only the busiest highway in North America but also one of the widest and busiest in the world.
.... the annual average daily traffic (AADT) count between Weston Road and Highway 400 in Toronto was estimated at 431,900. On some days, the number exceeds 500,000 vehicles.....

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 26th 2019 at 5:39 pm.
Old Apr 26th 2019, 7:06 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

The 400 going up to Barrie used to be a real bad one in the 70's, not just because of traffic, but because it was a 2 lane road when they could have used twice the space or even more. Often, when someone had an accident they'd have 50 strangers join in, in a deadly chain-reaction.
Old Apr 26th 2019, 8:36 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

And people say LA has bad traffic....lol

Originally Posted by Siouxie
It is indeed!

Brilliant photo of it on this article - and actually it's the busiest highway in the world! This North American highway was named the "busiest road in the world"

Known as King’s Highway 401, the freeway also goes by its official name of the Macdonald–Cartier Freeway. A 400-Series Highway in the Canadian province of Ontario, the 401 stretches from Windsor to the Quebec border. The segment of Highway 401 passing through Toronto is not only the busiest highway in North America but also one of the widest and busiest in the world.
.... the annual average daily traffic (AADT) count between Weston Road and Highway 400 in Toronto was estimated at 431,900. On some days, the number exceeds 500,000 vehicles.....
Old Apr 26th 2019, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
The 400 going up to Barrie used to be a real bad one in the 70's, not just because of traffic, but because it was a 2 lane road when they could have used twice the space or even more. Often, when someone had an accident they'd have 50 strangers join in, in a deadly chain-reaction.
I'm sure this is great place to merge in a snowstorm with trucks barrelling down the hill.

https://goo.gl/maps/edEDAMusK7E5wkv39
Old Apr 27th 2019, 12:04 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

It is indeed!

Brilliant photo of it on this article - and actually it's the busiest highway in the world! This North American highway was named the "busiest road in the world"

I don't think that's a picture of the 401. Which stretch is it claimed to be?

Old Apr 27th 2019, 5:06 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't think that's a picture of the 401. Which stretch is it claimed to be?
Read the article, lol.. Having used Google Image Search it appears to be in China, or Australia, or Canada, lol...

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 27th 2019 at 5:14 am.
Old Apr 27th 2019, 1:27 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Read the article, lol.. Having used Google Image Search it appears to be in China, or Australia, or Canada, lol...
I did read the article but discounted the content based on the picture being wrong. I think the busiest road in north America is in Mexico City and wondered if that was the one in the picture. It's not the 401 because it has vegetation and topography, not warehouses, big box stores and housing projects.
Old Apr 27th 2019, 2:07 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I did read the article but discounted the content based on the picture being wrong. I think the busiest road in north America is in Mexico City and wondered if that was the one in the picture. It's not the 401 because it has vegetation and topography, not warehouses, big box stores and housing projects.
Photoshop:
https://www.bricoleurbanism.org/whim...-good-its-bad/
Old Apr 27th 2019, 2:13 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by caretaker
Ah ha! You need your wits about you in them internets. It's just like the rest of life!
Old Apr 27th 2019, 2:16 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Ah ha! You need your wits about you in them internets. It's just like the rest of life!
I looked through 12 pages of mad-maddie's tumblr blog (lightweight fashion, memes, cartoons, and cat videos) and it wasn't there so did a duckduckgo image search of hwy 401 and found it (even though it's I-405 in Los Angeles).
Old Apr 27th 2019, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

The advice given to me by my driving instructor many years ago and reinforced in a defensive driving course in the '70' s in the UK still holds good today here in Canada ( and everywhere else?) Is to treat everyone else on the road as an idiot!....or potentially one...... No offence meant.....
Old Apr 27th 2019, 5:53 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

16 lanes at the widest, I think. Several people on this team commute along it, I think they'd vociferously protest against the idea that it has minimal accidents. According to my disgruntled colleague here there's typically a delay due to a crash three journeys a week (out of eight trips). Note that that's commuting against the traffic. A major argument for people working at home is that otherwise they'd have to take the 401 and so have a powerful incentive to find another job.

I have to say that I don't care for coming down the 410 on to the 401 and then taking the 427 south, I'm always relieved to have made the necessary 25 or 30 lane changes without a collision. I commuted that way for a couple of years and saw frequent fist fights between frustrated drivers. It doesn't help, of course, that the road has been dug up since I've been in Canada.

The QEW is hardly better. I shake my head at the idea that immigrants would consider living in Oakville. That's 3 or 4 hours a day of misery before considering that, when you're not stuck on the motorway, you're in Oakville.
Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I only drove the 401 once through Toronto and that was enough for me.

Isn't it the busiest freeway in North America?
It is indeed!

In 2004/2005 I drove the busy stretch of the 401 everyday as I lived at Yonge/Eglinton and worked at Hurontario. It didn't matter if there was an accident as between about 8.15 and 9.15 everyday you'd be sitting still at points just due to sheer volume and poor exiting and entering.

Back then it's peak was 400,000 cars for daily traffic while the M25 around London at it's busiest was a mild 250,000.

I can't imagine the 401 being the busiest now with the size of some of those Chinese cities and the infrastructure laid but it'll probably be quite some time before we have fully accurate data.

It only gets worse with the obsession of building towers and inability and fighting between the different tiers of government that kills every transit initiative that is ever proposed.
Old Apr 27th 2019, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macadian
Is to treat everyone else on the road as an idiot!....or potentially one......
big piece of advice I remember from my instructor is to treat everyone else as liars Advice was always to "Watch the wheels. Indicators lie. Hand signals lie. But wherever the wheels are pointed, that's where and if it's going".
Old Apr 27th 2019, 6:24 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
In 2004/2005 I drove the busy stretch of the 401 everyday as I lived at Yonge/Eglinton and worked at Hurontario. It didn't matter if there was an accident as between about 8.15 and 9.15 everyday you'd be sitting still at points just due to sheer volume and poor exiting and entering.

Back then it's peak was 400,000 cars for daily traffic while the M25 around London at it's busiest was a mild 250,000.

I can't imagine the 401 being the busiest now with the size of some of those Chinese cities and the infrastructure laid but it'll probably be quite some time before we have fully accurate data.

It only gets worse with the obsession of building towers and inability and fighting between the different tiers of government that kills every transit initiative that is ever proposed.
That is a problem in Vancouver too, they keep building more and more towers making the city more dense, but they fail to upgrade roads most of the time, and they don't expand transit quick enough, so now we have both congested roads and over crowded transit.

3 routes go past our place, if your taking transit downtown between 7am and 8:30am, quite common for 2,3,4 buses to go past with Sorry Full before a bus has room and stops.

Transit is also not 24/7 here, so leaves shift workers doing early mornings or late nights no choice but to drive if they want to get to work, or home after work. I have 2 co-workers who are off work at 1am, but sit at the airport until 5 something waiting for the first train to depart as they are off work 4 minutes after the last train leaves for the night.
Old Apr 27th 2019, 6:29 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
big piece of advice I remember from my instructor is to treat everyone else as liars Advice was always to "Watch the wheels. Indicators lie. Hand signals lie. But wherever the wheels are pointed, that's where and if it's going".
A brother in law was giving us a tour around the Toronto area back in '68 , and I believe we were on the 401 with everyone going really fast and only a couple of lengths between cars (it seemed fairly dangerous to me). All of a sudden he stood on the brakes and we skidded to a stop just feet from the car in front. They had a flat rear tire, and my b-i-l had seen it blow, and applied his brakes before they even knew there was a problem. Defensive driving was the main focus of the school driving course I took in 1970 as well as the Canadian National Railway driving course I took later. My military license (DND 404) was issued with no instructions or test and I had to type it out myself because everyone was busy getting a convoy together. I asked something about defensive driving in the 2 1/2 ton 6X6 I was going to drive (as I'd never driven anything like that before) and was told "Just use the horn and everyone will get out of your way; it's got a great horn."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.