Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

2013 Christmas Tree Watch

2013 Christmas Tree Watch

Old Oct 28th 2013, 3:02 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute
Default 2013 Christmas Tree Watch

It's Hallowe'en this week so that means that on Friday the shops and gadgies will be racing to get their spooky shit packed away and their tinselly tat down from the loft.

Hip-hip-hoorahs* for the first BE-er to report Christmas Tree sightings in their neighbourhood, and a glass of sherry* and a mince pie* for every photo posted of said tree in this thread.

*virtual
Old Oct 28th 2013, 3:52 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2013 Christmas Tree Watch

I will confess that we put up our lights in our back yard yesterday. To be fair, though, we were winterising and it made sense to put them up on what was a relatively nice day. We won't switch them on yet, obviously.

Winterising is a bitch. We were both at it non-stop from sunrise to sunset and we're still only 70% of the way through it. We both slept quite well last night. We were tired (as newts) when we hit the sack.
Old Oct 28th 2013, 5:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

Did the winterizing as well yesterday and have to admit I looked at the Christmas lights for a long time thinking it would be nice to get them up now while its still nice - couldn't bring myself to put lights up before Halloween though
Those bloody trampolines are a pain in the arse when you are getting rid of all the summer stuff - I must have spent 90 minutes trying to get it all to fit back in the box it came out off
Old Oct 28th 2013, 5:26 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
Winterising is a bitch.
What is it?
Old Oct 28th 2013, 5:31 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
What is it?
I'm glad someone asked that.

I've already taken the cushions off the patio furniture and closed the pool.

What else should I be doing?
Old Oct 28th 2013, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

Packing away all the summer junk from the garden , I bring in all the patio furniture to the basement some just pack away the cushions , give the lawn a final cut , fog the lawn mower so that it starts again next spring , I prune the trees back a bit but one of the neighbours told me I should be doing that in spring rather than fall (pretty sure the other neighbor told me a couple of years back to do it in the fall rather than the spring )
Finally - made sure the snowblower and skidoo both started so its not too much of a screw around with them when the snow comes .
Old Oct 28th 2013, 6:10 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nldfc
Packing away all the summer junk from the garden , I bring in all the patio furniture to the basement some just pack away the cushions , give the lawn a final cut , fog the lawn mower so that it starts again next spring , I prune the trees back a bit but one of the neighbours told me I should be doing that in spring rather than fall (pretty sure the other neighbor told me a couple of years back to do it in the fall rather than the spring )
Finally - made sure the snowblower and skidoo both started so its not too much of a screw around with them when the snow comes .
Pretty much the same here. Brought the kids playhouse/toys/sandpit into the garage for the winter. Mowed the lawn. Cleaned the lawn tractor, not got around to fogging it yet. Have to get the snowblower serviced & the recoil start fixed. That's a job for this week.

We used to winterise the garden by wrapping trees and shrubs in burlap. Haven't bothered for several years and they all seem to still be surviving. Perhaps that's what Souvy is referring to, it getting much colder in Gatineau?
Old Oct 28th 2013, 6:26 pm
I said what ?!

Animal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond repute

...fog the lawn mower so that it starts again next spring...
Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
...Mowed the lawn. Cleaned the lawn tractor, not got around to fogging it yet.
Got to ask. What's fogging the lawn tractor then ? I cut the grass a few weeks ago, took the battery of the tractor and that was it.

Picked up sh*t loads of leaves yesterday as the only time they do a kerb side pick up of leaves was today. Not all the leaves have fallen so will have to do that again. Tempted to just buy a plug and mulching blade and just drive over them but there is a lot !

Pool closed a few weeks ago and cushions in the shed. BBQ moved closer to the back door as that is used couple of times a week over winter anyway.

Not even thought about Christmas lights but in all honesty think that'll be in the next 2-3 weeks.
Old Oct 28th 2013, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fogging the engine just keeps everything nicely lubed up over the winter - Just spray a fogging oil in the air intakes - some people will keep spraying until the engine shuts down I usually just spray until the exhaust gets a bit "smokey" then stick a little bit of fuel stabilizer in the tank
Old Oct 28th 2013, 8:26 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Fogging the engine just keeps everything nicely lubed up over the winter - Just spray a fogging oil in the air intakes - some people will keep spraying until the engine shuts down I usually just spray until the exhaust gets a bit "smokey" then stick a little bit of fuel stabilizer in the tank
Well you learn something new everyday. I might well try that with JD lawn tractor this year. It almost always starts in the spring, but once or twice it's had troubles.

Cheers.
Old Oct 28th 2013, 10:01 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Still using the patio furniture . . . .kids older so no plastic tat out
Old Oct 29th 2013, 3:49 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
It's Hallowe'en this week so that means that on Friday the shops and gadgies will be racing to get their spooky shit packed away and their tinselly tat down from the loft
Shops I was in last week (Vancouver) already had Christmas decorative items for sale.
Old Oct 29th 2013, 3:56 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
Shops I was in last week (Vancouver) already had Christmas decorative items for sale.
It was 19c as I drove down Kingsway today. Winter?!
Old Oct 29th 2013, 4:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Tootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Londonuck
It was 19c as I drove down Kingsway today. Winter?!
A christmas tree appeared in Coquitlam Centre back in early September. i took a photo as i was so shocked! I disappeared almost overnight. Maybe someone got their holiday confused!
Old Oct 29th 2013, 5:57 am
Forum Regular

cllb2 is just really nicecllb2 is just really nicecllb2 is just really nicecllb2 is just really nicecllb2 is just really nicecllb2 is just really nicecllb2 is just really nicecllb2 is just really nicecllb2 is just really nicecllb2 is just really nice

Trees were going up in The Bay, downtown Vancouver today

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.