Internet in Penang

Old Jul 30th 2018, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Internet in Penang

Originally Posted by SushiFan
Watching movies in 4K video quality, I guess.
OK but not sure there're many 4 k movies available over the web.
Dunno because I don't view them.

But for ordinary movies 7Mbps for me is fine with no buffering.

Mind you in Singapore my cable internet gives me as I've said 80 Mbps and cost iirc S$29 pm.
If I were to get fibre at supposedly 3 times the speed I think that also costs S$29 per month.

Not a big deal to install fiber as the connection point is right outside my front door.
Just waiting for a free connection deal to become available.
Old Jul 30th 2018, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

Macsta is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ex reg
So why do people want 1 Gbps???
This can give some rationale for a faster connection:

Internet Speeds.pdf
Old Jul 31st 2018, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex reg
OK but not sure there're many 4 k movies available over the web.
Dunno because I don't view them.
According to Netflix do they offer movies in 4K (a.k.a. Ultra HD). I haven't checked other content providers. I don't use any of them so I can't judge the quality.
And the number of up-loaders on YouTube who offer 4K is increasing.
Old Jul 31st 2018, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

RedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond repute

My guess are those who use gaming apps...like Call of Duty v.17 or 3-D video...that have multiple interactors and the demand for near instantaneous reflexes.
Old Aug 1st 2018, 4:54 am
Forum Regular

simon2017 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Foodi
Thanks to you all for the feedback. It looks like Time is the better option for the moment. Although it's a Ferrari to my needs, it feels nice to be on it!
Time will be at Miami Green from 3-5th of August signing up new customers so if you have arrived by then should be easy.
Old Aug 1st 2018, 5:32 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

live streaming sports on to a smart TV usually requires a better than average speed of 10mbs
Old Aug 1st 2018, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikemike;12541578[b
]live streaming sports on to a smart TV [/b]usually requires a better than average speed of 10mbs
What sites do you use?
Old Aug 2nd 2018, 12:08 am
Forum Regular

Foodi is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks simon2017. Too bad, I arrive only in mid August. Will have to find their office in town...
Old Aug 2nd 2018, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Foodi
Thanks simon2017. Too bad, I arrive only in mid August. Will have to find their office in town...
I have sent you a PM.
Old Aug 2nd 2018, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

RedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond repute

Mine seems to average 50Mbs during the day...but that's in Kuching.
Old Aug 3rd 2018, 7:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedApe
Mine seems to average 50Mbs during the day...but that's in Kuching.
Is your computer wired to the router? Or do you use WiFi between the router and your computer?
Old Aug 3rd 2018, 9:46 am
BE Enthusiast

The speed test was done on computers linked by wireless to the router, but the TV (also linked to the router) was turned off at the time.
Old Aug 4th 2018, 7:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedApe
The speed test was done on computers linked by wireless to the router, but the TV (also linked to the router) was turned off at the time.
In that case was the speed most likely limited by the wireless network connection. If you use wifi over a couple of meters, with a direct line of sight to the router, you can get speeds of approximately 50 Mbps. If you are a bit further away, or if a wall blocks direct view, the wireless speed will go down to about 20 Mbps. It could well be that your internet service provider gives you a higher speed than 50 Mbps. You would need a wired internet connection to measure that.
Old Aug 5th 2018, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

Epicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SushiFan
In that case was the speed most likely limited by the wireless network connection. If you use wifi over a couple of meters, with a direct line of sight to the router, you can get speeds of approximately 50 Mbps. If you are a bit further away, or if a wall blocks direct view, the wireless speed will go down to about 20 Mbps. It could well be that your internet service provider gives you a higher speed than 50 Mbps. You would need a wired internet connection to measure that.
Your general observations about signal dropoff over distance are true, but I can max out my 100Mbits/s Time fibre connection over wifi within the same room. It has to be AC 5GHz, not N standard, in order to do that. I changed the wifi adapter in my laptop to upgrade it to AC (it's quite an old PC). 5GHz channels are far less congested than 2.4GHz, if you live in a densely populated area. Nevertheless, if it's practical to run an ethernet cable, I do that.
Old Aug 5th 2018, 7:09 am
BE Enthusiast

I agree that the new wifi AC version offers higher speeds than the previous N version. However, due to the higher communication frequency (5 GHz versus 2.4 GHz) is the distance limited. And the speed dropoff will be more when the direct line of sight is blocked by walls. I noticed that, when in the same room as the router, my tablet had higher speeds with AC, but when it was in another room than the router it had better results with N.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.