British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   Internet in Penang (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/internet-penang-915334/)

Foodi Jul 25th 2018 5:49 pm

Internet in Penang

Hi,

We will be moving back to Penang this August and would like to know which Internet Service Provider is the best in Penang at the moment (we will be in the Batu Ferringhi area). We used Streamyx in 2015 but wonder if there are other better options coming up recently.

Thanks.

SushiFan Jul 26th 2018 7:20 am

Re: Internet in Penang

Home internet is one of those "moving target, difficult to hit" topics. The infrastructure is constantly being worked on. Currently, especially in Batu Ferringhi, is it still location dependent whether fibre optic connection (TIME broadband) is available, or whether you'll depend on wireless (4G, mobile) connection. Check the TIME website to see which areas they have got covered.

simon2017 Jul 26th 2018 10:35 am

About 12 months ago I connected to Telecom Malaysia (TM) as they had just laid cables in the street (I'm in Batu Feringghi). You can check their website as to whether or not they support your street address. (https://unifi.com.my/unifi-en/index.page).

There may be better plans and rates around but I think sometimes that is seasonal. I'm on the 30GB Advance Plan with the TV channel option and find that meets my needs

Foodi Jul 26th 2018 2:23 pm

Thanks SushiFan and simon2017. It seems that Penang still has limited choices when it comes to Internet. I'm glad that Unifi started layering cable in Bt. Ferringhi. Unifi seems more competitive than Streamyx. I'm looking to stay at Miami Green, not sure if they have it covered or not (could not find it on their checkcoverage page).

simon2017 Jul 27th 2018 4:17 am

Originally Posted by Foodi (Post 12538922)
Thanks SushiFan and simon2017. It seems that Penang still has limited choices when it comes to Internet. I'm glad that Unifi started layering cable in Bt. Ferringhi. Unifi seems more competitive than Streamyx. I'm looking to stay at Miami Green, not sure if they have it covered or not (could not find it on their checkcoverage page).

Can confirm that Miami Green Condos have Unifi.

Gunnar45 Jul 27th 2018 5:05 am

Miami Green has both Times and Unifi available.

Foodi Jul 27th 2018 2:27 pm

Great! That gives more options. Unifi is priced better than Streamyx but how about their performance in terms of droppings, actual vs. advertised speeds, customer service, etc.). Is there any minimum enrolment (1, 2 years) for Unifi (cannot find that info on their package page)? Do they have a counter at Tesco? Thanks.

Gunnar45 Jul 27th 2018 3:30 pm

Unifi is quite OK, no problems so far and I had it for a couple of years now. Other are very happy with Times and I think they have better speed.
However Unifi is also going to improve as I have heard.
I have actually been thinking of shifting to Times as they are supposedly cheaper as well.

Foodi Jul 27th 2018 5:03 pm

Unifi currently has several packages, for a monthly rate of RM 129 (10Mbps), RM 179 (30 Mbps), or RM 329 (100 Mbps). Meanwhile Time offers RM 149 for 100 Mbps. So indeed, Time is much more attractive, the only caveat is they charge RM 300 (non-refundable) for 1 year contract...

Epicurious Jul 28th 2018 1:31 am

Having been a Unifi customer (for two years, the minimum contract) and now a Time customer, the latter is far better, both in terms of price and service. I'm in KL, though.

simon2017 Jul 28th 2018 1:38 am

Originally Posted by Foodi (Post 12539455)
Great! That gives more options. Unifi is priced better than Streamyx but how about their performance in terms of droppings, actual vs. advertised speeds, customer service, etc.). Is there any minimum enrolment (1, 2 years) for Unifi (cannot find that info on their package page)? Do they have a counter at Tesco? Thanks.

Unifi do have a counter at Tesco, just in front of MacDonalds. I'm on the 30gb plan and find it reliable. I'm also on the Unif Ultimate TV package which gives additional movie channels, sports and BBC. There was a 2 year enrollment period, but I received a RM30/mth discount (paying RM149/mth compared to plan of RM179/mth) and no installation fees. Other providers will rebate you an amount to cover terminating the existing provider but then you are in a lock in contract with them.
I have no experience with other providers but from a cost perspective sometimes I think it just depends on who has the best promo on at the time.

SushiFan Jul 28th 2018 7:43 am

Originally Posted by Foodi (Post 12539559)
Unifi currently has several packages, for a monthly rate of RM 129 (10Mbps), RM 179 (30 Mbps), or RM 329 (100 Mbps). Meanwhile Time offers RM 149 for 100 Mbps. So indeed, Time is much more attractive, the only caveat is they charge RM 300 (non-refundable) for 1 year contract...

Unify is in the process of upgrading its network during the coming 6~12 months. See the bottom half of this article: https://www.thestar.com.my/tech/tech...rbo-check-now/
I am using TIME fibre (100 Mbps) and am very satisfied with it. I signed up for a 2 year contract and did not have to pay a deposit. If you pay by auto-debit they waive the deposit requirement.

Foodi Jul 28th 2018 9:15 pm

Thanks to you all for the feedback. It looks like Time is the better option for the moment. Although it's a Ferrari to my needs, it feels nice to be on it!

ex reg Jul 29th 2018 9:09 am

I always wonder what people need these super fast internet speeds for.

In UK I've been on 7Mbps actual for years and except for updating windows and firefox every six months, after I've been away in Singapore, then I'm not sure why faster speeds are necessary.

In Singapore I used to have a free 1 Mbps internet connection and again it was fine for everything I needed, surfing the net, youtube and watching live sport online. No buffering at all.
Then that 1 Mbps was stopped so I'm on an actual cable internet connection which gives me 80Mbps. I find no difference with this speed than I found with the 1 Mbps connection.

So why do people want 1 Gbps???

SushiFan Jul 30th 2018 8:28 am

Originally Posted by ex reg (Post 12540274)
So why do people want 1 Gbps???

Watching movies in 4K video quality, I guess.