Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

USB STICK, DONGLE, MOBILE BROADBAND

USB STICK, DONGLE, MOBILE BROADBAND

Old Apr 4th 2012, 8:12 am
Banned

6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute
Default USB STICK, DONGLE, MOBILE BROADBAND

Hi,

I need mobile internet as I use skype to call a lot and I also move around a fair bit.

Is there a "Go to" company that everyone uses...

i.e. obvious leader with best price and coverage in italy?

I need as much data as possible... esp as I am not sure how much Skype calls take out of the allowance..

thanks
Old Apr 4th 2012, 9:55 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USB STICK, DONGLE, MOBILE BROADBAND

Whilst I was waiting for a broadband line to be installed for the internet at home I got a WIND pay-as-you-go USB dongle - it was rubbish quite frankly, the coverage kept dropping out after 60-120 seconds and it was impossible to Skype - problems weren't just at Rome (diverse locations) but it was equally useless down in Calabria where I tried it and had exactly the same results. Glad it was payg and not a long term contract

Therefore, imho WIND is not your "go to company" - sorry if this is negative but you asked for as much info as possible and I share my experience.
Old Apr 4th 2012, 10:40 am
Banned

6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute

No this is good.. it helps me!

I think TIM is a good option.. and this backs up someone else saying WIND suck..

ta
Old Apr 4th 2012, 10:50 am
Just Joined

tonber is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 6monthshere6monthsthere
Hi,

I need mobile internet as I use skype to call a lot and I also move around a fair bit.

Is there a "Go to" company that everyone uses...

i.e. obvious leader with best price and coverage in italy?

I need as much data as possible... esp as I am not sure how much Skype calls take out of the allowance..

thanks
Hi There,

I use TIM, it costs 159 euro a year, works out about 13/14 euro a month.
I get 100 hours a month, (over 3 hours a day approx) which is more than enough for me.
I use Skype every night and apart from the odd time connection speed is usually fine, but not super fast. They should be able to tell you in the shop what the coverage is like in your area.

Good luck
Old Apr 4th 2012, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute

I use Vodafone and am reasonably happy with the coverage and the speed. You need to check carefully which company covers the area you expect to be in.
Old Apr 4th 2012, 2:06 pm
Banned

good point!

How do i check this?

Is there a coverage checker?

I was just looking this second at Vodafone...

Seems to be a two horse race... i suppose its down to who has or claims the best coverage....

Its all pretty cheap nowadays.. i suppose if one does not work, its just going to be a case of try another

I am happy enough with my phone from TIM so will go to that place and see what they have. (I assume they can provide me with evidence of coverage there)

WOW.. THE INTERNET IS CLEVER

at the foot of this page the advert i see is

VODAFONE INTERNET KEY
per te a solo 9,50euro al mese invece di 19euro per un anno havighi a 7.2mbps e hai la internet key inclusa ...

Crazy stalking internet!

Last edited by 6monthshere6monthsthere; Apr 4th 2012 at 2:10 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2012, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute

http://opensignalmaps.com/

try this one
Old Apr 5th 2012, 7:50 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

I would say Tre as they have some great deals for mobile internet use and were the first to have the Skype phones. Their 5 Euro for 3Gb per month Superinternet is probably the cheapest deal out there and this allowance can also be used in the UK under the 3 UK network.

The catch is their coverage, if where you are in Italy is not covered by the Tre 3G network, you roam onto the Tim network. This is OK (i.e. free of charge) for voice calls but not for data (you get charge for roaming whenever you do not use the Tre network for data, regardless of where you are).

They have a coverage map on their site -
http://www.tre.it/assistenza/prodott...vizi/copertura
Old Apr 5th 2012, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

It all depends where you are - 3 is pretty useless in Sicily outside the big towns. TIM has the best coverage overall - unfortunately.
Old Apr 5th 2012, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

3 is crap .. go for Vodafone if they have an offer on.

That said I just switched over my landline to Vodafone cos they had an all inclusive offer on, and it's crap. It's just the best of a bad bunch.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 11:23 am
Banned

Got Vodafone...

Using it now.

In Brucoli and have a signal, so not bad at all..
Old Apr 13th 2012, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold

I have had a Poste mobile dongle for 1 year.

Unfortunately I tried to use it when I was in the UK. They blocked it straight away. When I returned to Italy my wife phoned them and asked them to un block it.

Despite 6 telephone calls and 2 to their untechnical help it is still blocked.

This weekend I will swap to vodaphone.

Moral of the story

If it takes 3 weeks for poste italia to deliver a letter don't expect their internet service to be any better.

Uffa
Old Apr 17th 2012, 9:15 am
Just Joined

chrissie90 is an unknown quantity at this point

My friend who is also always on the move uses a wimax router thru italia wifi and is really happy with it.
Another possible option?