British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Italy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/)
-   -   USB STICK, DONGLE, MOBILE BROADBAND (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/usb-stick-dongle-mobile-broadband-753804/)

6monthshere6monthsthere Apr 4th 2012 8:12 am

USB STICK, DONGLE, MOBILE BROADBAND

Hi,

I need mobile internet as I use skype to call a lot and I also move around a fair bit.

Is there a "Go to" company that everyone uses...

i.e. obvious leader with best price and coverage in italy?

I need as much data as possible... esp as I am not sure how much Skype calls take out of the allowance..

thanks

Garbatellamike Apr 4th 2012 9:55 am

Re: USB STICK, DONGLE, MOBILE BROADBAND

Whilst I was waiting for a broadband line to be installed for the internet at home I got a WIND pay-as-you-go USB dongle - it was rubbish quite frankly, the coverage kept dropping out after 60-120 seconds and it was impossible to Skype - problems weren't just at Rome (diverse locations) but it was equally useless down in Calabria where I tried it and had exactly the same results. Glad it was payg and not a long term contract :thumbdown:

Therefore, imho WIND is not your "go to company" - sorry if this is negative but you asked for as much info as possible and I share my experience.

6monthshere6monthsthere Apr 4th 2012 10:40 am

No this is good.. it helps me!

I think TIM is a good option.. and this backs up someone else saying WIND suck..

ta

tonber Apr 4th 2012 10:50 am

Originally Posted by 6monthshere6monthsthere (Post 9988471)
Hi,

I need mobile internet as I use skype to call a lot and I also move around a fair bit.

Is there a "Go to" company that everyone uses...

i.e. obvious leader with best price and coverage in italy?

I need as much data as possible... esp as I am not sure how much Skype calls take out of the allowance..

thanks

Hi There,

I use TIM, it costs 159 euro a year, works out about 13/14 euro a month.
I get 100 hours a month, (over 3 hours a day approx) which is more than enough for me.
I use Skype every night and apart from the odd time connection speed is usually fine, but not super fast. They should be able to tell you in the shop what the coverage is like in your area.

Good luck :fingerscrossed:

HADENOUGHPIZZA Apr 4th 2012 12:42 pm

I use Vodafone and am reasonably happy with the coverage and the speed. You need to check carefully which company covers the area you expect to be in.

6monthshere6monthsthere Apr 4th 2012 2:06 pm

good point!

How do i check this?

Is there a coverage checker?

I was just looking this second at Vodafone...

Seems to be a two horse race... i suppose its down to who has or claims the best coverage....

Its all pretty cheap nowadays.. i suppose if one does not work, its just going to be a case of try another

I am happy enough with my phone from TIM so will go to that place and see what they have. (I assume they can provide me with evidence of coverage there)

WOW.. THE INTERNET IS CLEVER

at the foot of this page the advert i see is

VODAFONE INTERNET KEY
per te a solo 9,50euro al mese invece di 19euro per un anno havighi a 7.2mbps e hai la internet key inclusa ...

Crazy stalking internet!

HADENOUGHPIZZA Apr 4th 2012 2:29 pm

http://opensignalmaps.com/

try this one

duffer Apr 5th 2012 7:50 am

I would say Tre as they have some great deals for mobile internet use and were the first to have the Skype phones. Their 5 Euro for 3Gb per month Superinternet is probably the cheapest deal out there and this allowance can also be used in the UK under the 3 UK network.

The catch is their coverage, if where you are in Italy is not covered by the Tre 3G network, you roam onto the Tim network. This is OK (i.e. free of charge) for voice calls but not for data (you get charge for roaming whenever you do not use the Tre network for data, regardless of where you are).

They have a coverage map on their site -
http://www.tre.it/assistenza/prodott...vizi/copertura

modicasa Apr 5th 2012 9:01 am

It all depends where you are - 3 is pretty useless in Sicily outside the big towns. TIM has the best coverage overall - unfortunately.

MarkRD Apr 5th 2012 1:51 pm

3 is crap .. go for Vodafone if they have an offer on.

That said I just switched over my landline to Vodafone cos they had an all inclusive offer on, and it's crap. It's just the best of a bad bunch.

6monthshere6monthsthere Apr 11th 2012 11:23 am

Got Vodafone...

Using it now.

In Brucoli and have a signal, so not bad at all..:thumbsup:

Pecora Nera Apr 13th 2012 12:59 pm

I have had a Poste mobile dongle for 1 year.

Unfortunately I tried to use it when I was in the UK. :rofl: They blocked it straight away. When I returned to Italy my wife phoned them and asked them to un block it.

Despite 6 telephone calls and 2 to their untechnical help it is still blocked.

This weekend I will swap to vodaphone.

Moral of the story

If it takes 3 weeks for poste italia to deliver a letter don't expect their internet service to be any better.

Uffa

chrissie90 Apr 17th 2012 9:15 am

My friend who is also always on the move uses a wimax router thru italia wifi and is really happy with it.
Another possible option?