British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Italy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/)
-   -   TOP UK MISSED PRODUCTS -what do you stock up on? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/top-uk-missed-products-what-do-you-stock-up-529440/)

Lorna at Vicenza Apr 15th 2008 7:53 am

TOP UK MISSED PRODUCTS -what do you stock up on?

What is at the top of your shopping list on a trip back to the UK? What do you get family or friends to post to you - whether it is something that you miss or something that is simply a lot cheaper at 'home'.

Top of my list is most definitely TEA BAGS,
closely followed by 16p packets of paracetamol
Cadbury's chocolate
Bacon for a really good Sunday morning bacon sandwich
Heinz Salad Cream
Sharp and tangy ginger crunch biscuits
A trip round all the charity shops to buy cheap books I haven't yet read - and so much more .............

What's on your list ?:)

kathrynverona Apr 15th 2008 10:54 am

Re: TOP UK MISSED PRODUCTS -what do you stock up on?

Mine are pretty much the same as yours but with the addition of :
marmite
branston pickle (although I've found a recipe and will try my own this year)
pork pies (sad but true - they go with the branston, last time I went home they lost my case during the return flight and it came back 24 hours later - I was nearly in tears when I had to throw away my melton mowbray!)
kids clothes - so much cheaper and trendier, I've now got a stock for the next 5 years!
Robinsons fruit juice to dilute
malt vinegar
sudocream and metatanium for the kids bottoms
any books I can get my hands on - we could organise a swapping session

I was over your way the other day in Cornedo and visited a little indian shop where I found loads of spices, birds custard powder, horlicks, big boxes of pg-tips etc
Most other things I've learned to do without or have found a source over here (curry stuff, baked beans, bacon, cheddar, ikea ginger biscuits etc.) but for some reason every time I go home I have serious problems with the weight limit for my suitcase!

Lorna at Vicenza Apr 15th 2008 11:31 am

Originally Posted by kathrynverona (Post 6211272)
Mine are pretty much the same as yours but with the addition of :
marmite
branston pickle (although I've found a recipe and will try my own this year)
pork pies (sad but true - they go with the branston, last time I went home they lost my case during the return flight and it came back 24 hours later - I was nearly in tears when I had to throw away my melton mowbray!)
kids clothes - so much cheaper and trendier, I've now got a stock for the next 5 years!
Robinsons fruit juice to dilute
malt vinegar
sudocream and metatanium for the kids bottoms
any books I can get my hands on - we could organise a swapping session

I was over your way the other day in Cornedo and visited a little indian shop where I found loads of spices, birds custard powder, horlicks, big boxes of pg-tips etc
Most other things I've learned to do without or have found a source over here (curry stuff, baked beans, bacon, cheddar, ikea ginger biscuits etc.) but for some reason every time I go home I have serious problems with the weight limit for my suitcase!

We have an "asia africa" market here where I can get baked beans, tins of Exeter corned beef and various spices but where the hell do you find bacon and cheddar - unless you have a friend who works on American Base.
Yes - kids clothes are a definite must on a UK shopping list - why pay 3 euro for one pair of child's knickers or socks when you get a pack of ten pairs in Asda for about £2.00 !!
Don't know how old your child/children are but I'm paying for two on the flights so all togther we get quite a big kilo allowance but my cases are always crammed too. Last time I even stocked up on pencils, glue sticks, erasers, pencil sharpeners and pencil crayons for my girl who's at elementare. I refuse to pay almost 3 euro for a glue stick when I got a pack of 10 for a pound in tesco. happy shopping -

kathrynverona Apr 15th 2008 11:40 am

bacon comes from lidl and the cheddar is in the local Auchan supermarket. all my friends/neighbours colleagues keep look out for stuff that might be of interest and keep me updated - they spotted the cheese.
My twins are three so I get their baggage allowance as well but I tend to go a bit mental when I get home.....I get sucked in by asda and primark specials........
I've even resorted to stuffing the heavy things in my pockets and handbag but the baggage checkers at leeds bradford are right jobsworths.
I love going home by car, it's so much more relaxing, but my hubbie hates it because he knows I'm going to buy loads of useless stuff.
A trip round the supermarket is fatal, there's so much stuff! baking powder, birthday cake decorations, clotted cream and scones, the more you see the more you want!Then we can get into the early learning centre with all of its lovely wooden toys, educational games etc, over here I can only find plastic or extremely expensive stuff for the citta del sole.
ho hum, I'll never be rich!

Lorna at Vicenza Apr 15th 2008 11:54 am

Originally Posted by kathrynverona (Post 6211502)
bacon comes from lidl and the cheddar is in the local Auchan supermarket. all my friends/neighbours colleagues keep look out for stuff that might be of interest and keep me updated - they spotted the cheese.
My twins are three so I get their baggage allowance as well but I tend to go a bit mental when I get home.....I get sucked in by asda and primark specials........
I've even resorted to stuffing the heavy things in my pockets and handbag but the baggage checkers at leeds bradford are right jobsworths.
I love going home by car, it's so much more relaxing, but my hubbie hates it because he knows I'm going to buy loads of useless stuff.
A trip round the supermarket is fatal, there's so much stuff! baking powder, birthday cake decorations, clotted cream and scones, the more you see the more you want!Then we can get into the early learning centre with all of its lovely wooden toys, educational games etc, over here I can only find plastic or extremely expensive stuff for the citta del sole.

ah - there is no Auchan near me - chesse on toast - that would be nice. I don't like a lot of the "stinky" cheeses but my kids have both got a list of English food they love. Why not bring them up bi-diet as well as bi-lingual.
Orange cheese (as they call it)
Yorkshire puds
Fairy cakes with icing and hundreds and thousands
Gravy
Boiled eggs and soldiers
Poached eggs (yes one year i brought back a poaching pan)
Cranberry juice
Smoked fish
A packet of crisps and a glass of lemonade with Grandma in the pub.
I also brought all mine and kids quilt cover sets back from the UK and one os those electric food steamers is on my next shopping list !!! Seen one for only a tenner in the Argos catalogue.

kathrynverona Apr 15th 2008 12:01 pm

Oh what bliss!
I'm starving now! I sipped lunch to read the threads on here!
My parents are over here at the moment and the best thing is mum's cooking - we had a birthday cake with butter icing on sunday, almond slices, the boys spent saturday morning making gingerbread men......
Friday evening I made a curry and also had it for breakfast with a naan bread on saturday
Banana and strawberry nesquick, rhubarb crumble

you've started something now!!

Lorna at Vicenza Apr 15th 2008 12:03 pm

I thought I was bombarded with unwanted advice and so called helpful hints when my kids were born but you must have got double the amount pushing twins around !!! Poor you. If you have enough clothes for the next five years then I suggest you start haording a stash of school stationary stuff for when they start elementare. Apart from paying ten times as much for a pencil sharpener have you seen the prices of the 'zaino' that all the poor kids drag around on their backs ?

Beep Apr 15th 2008 12:05 pm

Bovril

Roses Lime marmalade

Lime cordial

Garlic naan

Nurofen plus

I had some friends visiting Venice last month and they were coming out to spend a day with me........I had requested some packets of rashers which they duly packed.............and them left them in the mini bar of their hotel:(:cry_smile::cry_smile:

Lorna at Vicenza Apr 15th 2008 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Beep (Post 6211622)
Bovril

Roses Lime marmalade

Lime cordial

Garlic naan

Nurofen plus

I had some friends visiting Venice last month and they were coming out to spend a day with me........I had requested some packets of rashers which they duly packed.............and them left them in the mini bar of their hotel:(:cry_smile::cry_smile:

what a shame about the rashers :(

Funny how you find yourself overdosing on stuff in the UK during a visit - even stuff that you never ate much of whilst living there. think it's a case of get it while you can.

I gobble up mini scotch eggs, mini pork pies, sausage rolls, bacon, fish & chips, cornish pasties etc. and I top it all off with a great big glass of cold cider - seriously - can't afford the price of a glass of wine back 'home'

Margaret M Apr 15th 2008 7:55 pm

bacon comes from lidl and the cheddar is in the local Auchan supermarket.

I've not yet found bacon in our new local Lidl, nor cheddar in Auchan. Must try harder:mad:

ballerina Apr 16th 2008 8:46 am

I miss everthing foodie in the above posts and BISTO gravy granules! I have also bought back duvet sets (my boyfrend had never seen a duvet cover in his life! We finally tracked some down in a big coop store in SArzana but they were hideous! Definitely worth paying for extra luggage allowance to sleep under something more tasteful). I go mad in all the places i never shopped in in England when i go back for visists.. Matalan is my new favourite for nice and cheap bathtwoels, housey things, slippers, cheap socks etc... I'm taking my boyfriend for his first visit to England soon and i think he is going to be in heaven when we hit the shops, especially since the euro is so close to the pound now!

duffer Apr 16th 2008 8:49 am

Originally Posted by Margaret M (Post 6213833)
I've not yet found bacon in our new local Lidl, nor cheddar in Auchan. Must try harder:mad:

me neither

Lorna at Vicenza Apr 16th 2008 9:26 am

The only bacon I've ever found is the packets of pancetta cubes - good for spaghetti carbonara but not for a sandwich.
A fairly decent substitute is to ask for a few slices of pancetta stufata and get the assistant to cut it a bit thicker - quick fry in a pan and hey presto - English breakfast !

Lorna at Vicenza Apr 16th 2008 9:28 am

Matalan is my new favourite for nice and cheap bathtwoels, housey things, slippers, cheap socks etc... I'm taking my boyfriend for his first visit to England soon and i think he is going to be in heaven when we hit the shops, especially since the euro is so close to the pound now![/QUOTE]

Matalan is good yeah - try out Primark as well when you go back.

duffer Apr 16th 2008 9:50 am

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza (Post 6216438)
The only bacon I've ever found is the packets of pancetta cubes - good for spaghetti carbonara but not for a sandwich.
A fairly decent substitute is to ask for a few slices of pancetta stufata and get the assistant to cut it a bit thicker - quick fry in a pan and hey presto - English breakfast !

They do the smoked pancetta slices in Iper in Verona which are great for a crispy bacon and butter sandwich but what about some decent sausages??