British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Italy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/)
-   -   TOP UK MISSED PRODUCTS -what do you stock up on? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/top-uk-missed-products-what-do-you-stock-up-529440/)

duffer Apr 17th 2008 4:08 pm

Re: TOP UK MISSED PRODUCTS -what do you stock up on?

Originally Posted by Beep (Post 6223765)
I went for a job interview one day and I must have had my 'english head ' on because it was like my brain had been wiped out of any Italian that had been in there.....I was mortified!!!Im sure the man in the agency thought I was mad.

haha. don't worry it happens all the time. i find myself speaking and sounding like an idiot at times! just because i want to speak at a normal pace when it would be better to take things slowly and clearly.

kathrynverona Apr 17th 2008 4:10 pm

the going rate from translation companies is around 13 euros /1500 characters, but if you can get a contact directly with a company and cut out the middle man you're quids in, more like 50 euros/1500.

duffer Apr 17th 2008 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by kathrynverona (Post 6223788)
the going rate from translation companies is around 13 euros /1500 characters, but if you can get a contact directly with a company and cut out the middle man you're quids in, more like 50 euros/1500.

Excellent. Even if I did 1 a month I would be happy. Thanks so much for the advice. I'm just worried about the tax thing and issuing receipts. I suppose I can issue a receipt for money received for a service without needing a p.Iva. Will I need to present receipts for all my expenses?

Lorna at Vicenza Apr 17th 2008 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by duffer (Post 6223769)
Excellent thanks for the great tips. The OH and I have in the past, as favours, completed some company and departmental presentations in English which we could include as part of a portfolio.

I like the idea of charging per page - what is a good rate? €50, €75? Do you have a price list?

there is a way around all the tax stuff and you won't even need an accountant.

You give the company a RITENUTA D'ACCONTO which has your price for the work on it and add the 20 % IVA and the company has to pay the tax - not you.

I could send you a copy of ones i've done in the past - there is a special legal phrase you always need to put on it ------

Prestazione occasionale non soggetta ad IVA per mancanza del requisito soggettivo di cui all’art. 1 e 5 del DPR 26/10/1972 e successive modifiche.

and the subject/title of this ritenuta has to be .........
RICEVUTA PER PRESTAZIONE OCCASIONALE

It would be perfect for you if you just wanted to do one now and again.

Lorna at Vicenza Apr 17th 2008 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza (Post 6223876)
there is a way around all the tax stuff and you won't even need an accountant.

You give the company a RITENUTA D'ACCONTO which has your price for the work on it and add the 20 % IVA and the company has to pay the tax - not you.

I could send you a copy of ones i've done in the past - there is a special legal phrase you always need to put on it ------

Prestazione occasionale non soggetta ad IVA per mancanza del requisito soggettivo di cui all’art. 1 e 5 del DPR 26/10/1972 e successive modifiche.

and the subject/title of this ritenuta has to be .........

It would be perfect for you if you just wanted to do one now and again.

this is the kind of thing ......... have you got a codice fiscale ???

SERVIZIO: TRADUZIONE TESTI

Compenso lordo Euro 277.87

Ritenuta d’acconto 20% Euro 55.57

COMPENSO NETTO Euro 222.30

kathrynverona Apr 17th 2008 5:24 pm

if you already have an income from another job you still need to do a tax return because standard tax rate isn't 20%. The company you work for pays the 20% immediately on the total amount, then you need to add the rest when you do your 730 tax return. If its your only income then as long as you're below the 3000 euro threshold you don't need to pay anymore. I use the ricevuta di prestazione occassionale as well. This way you can't claim anything for expenses etc. only people with a P.Iva can get tax rebates on cars, books, computers etc.

.Ariel. Apr 17th 2008 8:07 pm

I've always got a good stock of tea from England. I'd never by it here - those boxes of 10 tea bags are no use to me. Walkers crisps. Galaxy chocolate. Cheap medicines. Deodrant.

TestaRossa Apr 18th 2008 9:39 am

I pretty much only drink Earl Grey anyway but the Twinings here is weaker than the Twinings in the UK! Having said that I can get it in boxes of a 100 - I just leave it to stew for a while!

I can get Kettle Chips in Esselunga, but I agree the crisps aren't the same. I find San Carlo crisps far too salty. I quite like getting a bag of crisps with a toy in though - at least it's a snack and a gift!! Better than those ball machines which my daughter loves! Kinder eggs are the other favourite but I try to keep all of them to a minimum!

I think the main thing is definitely kids medicines and some painkillers for us adults that I get my OH to stock up on. DVD's are pretty much the same price, CD's I've stopped buying now we all have i-pods and books I buy off the internet. I don't particuarly miss the clothes shops either. When I first moved here I would order stuff and get it sent to my friend but when I go on-line now there is never anything I want. But then Florence has two Zara's, so when I need a cheap clothes fix I go there. Most of my daughter's stuff comes from there with Monsoon, Benetton (for me too) and a few others thrown in for good measure. I like Max&Co for myself as well - the sizes are generous, I can pretend I'm still a 12 in there unlike Zara where I buy everything in large or a 16!! I also like Tezemis for t-shirts and knickers! The knickers, wait for it, are BETTER than M&S - really! But all my bra's I buy on-line, I'm too weird a size for Italian bra shops!!

.Ariel. Apr 18th 2008 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by TestaRossa (Post 6227191)
The knickers, wait for it, are BETTER than M&S - really!

You're joking me. I will not have anything bad said about M+S pants. Only Jeremy Clarkson can do that. :D

TestaRossa Apr 18th 2008 8:43 pm

I would post a picture but I'd probably be banned for being obscene! Well pictures of my bum would be anyway!

I really like their knickers! Downside is if I hadn't lost some weight since being here I wouldn't be able to get into them! Their large is just about right! The t-shirts are good though 'cos they do them as night/lounge wear really so they are fairly thin, which is good when it gets really hot. I can't stand a really thick t when it is in the 40's. (Should it ever get there this year! So far Florence has been wetter than Manchester - or so it feels!)

.Ariel. Apr 20th 2008 7:34 am

Testarossa, I have had some nice stuff from Tezemis. They do a good sale which I've caught a few times in Siena. It does make me think when I have to buy large - ie the biggest size they sell, even though I'm a UK 12 (Marks 12, so that could be a 14 in other shops). I mean, where do people over a uk 12 buy their pants from?

I'm off to England next week so I'll be stocking up on everything. This thread is very useful in helping me to write my shopping list.

duffer Apr 20th 2008 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza (Post 6223880)
this is the kind of thing ......... have you got a codice fiscale ???

SERVIZIO: TRADUZIONE TESTI

Compenso lordo Euro 277.87

Ritenuta d’acconto 20% Euro 55.57

COMPENSO NETTO Euro 222.30

Thanks Lorna, but the company has to pay the tax?? Similar to the people in Genoa with short arms the Vicentini are not amongst the generous people of the world!

duffer Apr 20th 2008 8:46 am

Originally Posted by kathrynverona (Post 6224072)
if you already have an income from another job you still need to do a tax return because standard tax rate isn't 20%. The company you work for pays the 20% immediately on the total amount, then you need to add the rest when you do your 730 tax return. If its your only income then as long as you're below the 3000 euro threshold you don't need to pay anymore. I use the ricevuta di prestazione occassionale as well. This way you can't claim anything for expenses etc. only people with a P.Iva can get tax rebates on cars, books, computers etc.

Ah. So I can only offset the expenses such as PC, internet, books, etc if I have a P.Iva?

TestaRossa Apr 20th 2008 9:51 am

Originally Posted by .Ariel. (Post 6236476)
Testarossa, I have had some nice stuff from Tezemis. They do a good sale which I've caught a few times in Siena. It does make me think when I have to buy large - ie the biggest size they sell, even though I'm a UK 12 (Marks 12, so that could be a 14 in other shops). I mean, where do people over a uk 12 buy their pants from?

I'm off to England next week so I'll be stocking up on everything. This thread is very useful in helping me to write my shopping list.

Duffer! How can I tell you are a bloke?! Apart from the football obsession you would rather talk about P.IVA and stuff than knickers :D!

Ariel - I noticed this season they are starting to do an XL so maybe Italian bottoms are getting bigger too! I see a lot of the older generation (60's+) buying their stuff on the markets!! Having said that I've gone there too on occasion!

Where will you be shopping in the UK?

Lorna at Vicenza Apr 20th 2008 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by duffer (Post 6236634)
Thanks Lorna, but the company has to pay the tax?? Similar to the people in Genoa with short arms the Vicentini are not amongst the generous people of the world!

TRUE - remember I live here too but they only have two options - pay a lot more to a crappy so called translating agency for bad work and get an invoice with 20% tax on it anyway ....... or pay people like us who actually give them correct, understandable and not confusing or topsy turvy English.